IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

WTF, locked the keys in the car while washing it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 03:26 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no like..

Your car is locked, the key is in your hand. If you press unlcok on the key and dont touch the car, just stand there and wait, it will re-lock after a while.

If your car is locked, and you press unlock and open the rear doors and put the key inside, and then close it and wait, it will lock again.

If your car is locked, and you press unlock and open the driver door and put they key on the seat and close the door, it will not re-lock (at least in my experience)

i dont know if this is just my car and its autolock mechanism is messed up, but after i locked my key in the car the second time i tried to figure out how the hell it happened, and i just played around trying to lock my keys in the car, and thats how it worked (i thought of hte rear door/front door thing because both times i locked my keys in the car, the keys were on the rear seats)
Old 07-06-08, 03:36 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

LoL!!! Since I got nothing else to do tomorrow, it means time to experiment to see what different ways I can lock my keys in the car. I will need to try that though^^^. My neighbors gonna think I'm and idiot or something trying to lock my keys in the car. LoL!!!
Old 07-06-08, 04:39 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

lol yeah, my neighbor called out of his living room window if i needed any help lol.. i didn't realize how stupid i must have looked, walking to the car, putting my keys in, walking away and standing there watching... then walking back, opening a different door... watching some more... lol
Old 07-07-08, 12:25 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow lol i have never locked my keys in the lexus before i tired many times but failed. Maybe i might try scythe trick :P
Old 07-07-08, 05:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You CAN lock the keys in the car if you press the lock button on the second FOB, rather than the door handle button (I guess the theory being the car then knows you have other keys with you?). Any chance your wife bumped the button on the FOB in the house.
Old 07-07-08, 07:18 AM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali2is
I thought I read that another member was able to lock his keys in his car. Unlock the car, open the back door, put the key inside, then close the door. The car will auto lock in a few seconds.
not sure if you are talking about my post where i can turn my car on and lock the sensor in the car by taking the clip off by the car handle on the door. take the key off your car sensor and lock it manually using the key. this is the only way i know how to lock the car sensor in the car while idling.
Old 07-07-08, 08:10 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought I read that another member was able to lock his keys in his car. Unlock the car, open the back door, put the key inside, then close the door. The car will auto lock in a few seconds.
That was me...
Old 07-07-08, 09:50 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scythe
with a lexus, to lock your keys in the car. Walk up to the car and either press unlock, or grab the handle of the passenger side door with your fob key. Open ANY OTHER DOOR THAN THE DRIVER DOOR. place the key anywhere inside, close the door and wait until you hear the dreaded click and beep that has just told you "Your Fuct"

Edit: I'm not positive about the passenger door, but i've locked my keys in my car twice after sports practice by pressing unlock on the fob, and then opening the trunk (Again with the button on the fob) , opening the rear door and tossing the keys on the seat, closing the door, then while taking my pads/gear off at the trunk, i hear the locks go.
These scenarios don't work, either. At least not on my car. The car will not automatically lock if a door is opened. The auto lock feature only works if the car is unlocked, but no door opened. Only then, will the car re-lock itself after a few seconds.

From the owners manual:

Security Feature
If a door is not opened within approximately 30 seconds after the vehicle is unlocked, the anti-theft system automatically locks the vehicle again.

Last edited by IS350jet; 07-07-08 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-07-08, 09:53 AM
MCL1
Pole Position

without a doubt, i think you may have hit the access button on the handle.
Old 07-07-08, 10:01 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iKenn
How did you do that? Theres no way the car would lock itself with the key inside, I have tried and all it does is make the long beep noise to tell me the key is inside. The only way that could happen is if you put the key in and then lock the doors from the inside then shut it. But if you try to lock it from the door handle, it wont work.
I made that mistake a couple of times and I always heard a beep indicating my doors wont lock because the key is left behind.
Old 07-07-08, 10:52 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

ya I tried to lock my key inside also but couldnt lol
Old 07-07-08, 02:38 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

this is one of the most useful threads on this site lol

its actually making people try it out on their own and everyone is coming up with different outcomes. hahaha

<3 this thread
Old 07-07-08, 04:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badboy513
without a doubt, i think you may have hit the access button on the handle.
it won't lock if the key is detected in the car, and you press the button on the door handle. Even if you have the second set of keys in your pocket.
Old 07-07-08, 06:06 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

um.. i just tried again.. Pressed unlock, opened the REAR DRIVER SIDE DOOR and put the keys on the seat and closed the door... 30 seconds - however long that took me = keys locked in car...
Old 07-07-08, 09:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by Scythe
um.. i just tried again.. Pressed unlock, opened the REAR DRIVER SIDE DOOR and put the keys on the seat and closed the door... 30 seconds - however long that took me = keys locked in car...
There's something wrong with your car. I did this with mine (also an '06, June production) and I couldn't get it to lock automatically once I opened the door. I could lock the key inside with the other key, but only when the first key was in the back seat. I couldn't get it to autolock with the first key ever. Sounds like a pin switch problem with your back door.

Quick Reply: WTF, locked the keys in the car while washing it.