IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

WTF, locked the keys in the car while washing it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 11:35 AM
DrGP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF, locked the keys in the car while washing it.

I usually don't carry the key for my wife's IS since I already have a similar fob for my 335i. Anyway, my wife is usually in the car when I drive it. So I get my wife's keys and put them in the cup holder in the center console. Go about my business washing the car. Now I try to get back into the car and cannot open the doors. Fortunately, I am in my driveway and just need to retrieve the other set from the house. I could see this as a big problem if you did similar and you weren't close to home. Anyone else encounter similar or think this is a bad feature. If I do the same with my BMW, I can get back into the car.
Old 07-06-08, 11:53 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I havent tested out the functions but it seems dangerous that your BMW can unlock from the outside while the keys are inside. I say this bc what if you are running/hiding from a thug/robber in the car, and they just open your locked door......I smell some serious lawsuits....
Old 07-06-08, 12:25 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't make much sense. I couldn't lock the key fob in my car if i tried. Yes, I've tried, and couldn't do it.
Old 07-06-08, 12:27 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you do that? Theres no way the car would lock itself with the key inside, I have tried and all it does is make the long beep noise to tell me the key is inside. The only way that could happen is if you put the key in and then lock the doors from the inside then shut it. But if you try to lock it from the door handle, it wont work.
Old 07-06-08, 12:31 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

I couldn't lock my key in the car or trunk successfully. (had to try it as well)

Maybe her key battery is weak?
Old 07-06-08, 12:42 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought I read that another member was able to lock his keys in his car. Unlock the car, open the back door, put the key inside, then close the door. The car will auto lock in a few seconds.
Old 07-06-08, 12:51 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Must be a dead battery, or bad fob. Replace the battery and see if it still happens. FYI, I've tried to intentionally lock my fob in my car and it will not lock with the fob inside.
Old 07-06-08, 12:54 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Idk...the auto lock feature only works if you unlock the doors and don;t open them at all...I think the weak battery makes more sense.
Old 07-06-08, 01:06 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah.... I just tried and could not lock the fob inside the car either.
Old 07-06-08, 01:08 PM
DevJ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its because your car was outside it MIGHT have auto-locked
Old 07-06-08, 01:14 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
The only way that could happen is if you put the key in and then lock the doors from the inside then shut it.
I think this makes the most sense in this situation... he prob needed something from the house and just locked it manually inside.
Old 07-06-08, 02:52 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

with a lexus, to lock your keys in the car. Walk up to the car and either press unlock, or grab the handle of the passenger side door with your fob key. Open ANY OTHER DOOR THAN THE DRIVER DOOR. place the key anywhere inside, close the door and wait until you hear the dreaded click and beep that has just told you "Your Fuct"

Edit: I'm not positive about the passenger door, but i've locked my keys in my car twice after sports practice by pressing unlock on the fob, and then opening the trunk (Again with the button on the fob) , opening the rear door and tossing the keys on the seat, closing the door, then while taking my pads/gear off at the trunk, i hear the locks go.
Old 07-06-08, 02:59 PM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I think this makes the most sense in this situation... he prob needed something from the house and just locked it manually inside.
I did NOT lock the doors manually. I had been vacuuming the interior before i washed the car. I did try to get into the trunk which was my first sign that the car was locked. When I went to get back into the passenger compartment, then is when I discovered that I could not gain access to the interior.

Last edited by DrGP; 07-06-08 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-06-08, 03:15 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DrGP
I did NOT lock the doors manually. I had been vacuuming the interior before i washed the car. I did try to get into the trunk which was my first sign that the car was locked. When I went to get back into the passenger compartment, then is when I discovered that I could not gain access to the interior.
Maybe you hit the button accidentally. The car shouldn't normally just lock like that.
Old 07-06-08, 03:22 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Scythe
with a lexus, to lock your keys in the car. Walk up to the car and either press unlock, or grab the handle of the passenger side door with your fob key. Open ANY OTHER DOOR THAN THE DRIVER DOOR. place the key anywhere inside, close the door and wait until you hear the dreaded click and beep that has just told you "Your Fuct"

Edit: I'm not positive about the passenger door, but i've locked my keys in my car twice after sports practice by pressing unlock on the fob, and then opening the trunk (Again with the button on the fob) , opening the rear door and tossing the keys on the seat, closing the door, then while taking my pads/gear off at the trunk, i hear the locks go.
Wow. I did not know that I know I've accidentally left my keys in the car by accident, but it wouldn't lock. Even if I left out of the car 1st then closed the door and my gf comes out right after and she tries to lock it, but the car won't let her. Do you have to start from scratch?! For example, get out of the car, lock it, wait, then just unlock the passenger side, then throw you keys inside? Just curious.

Quick Reply: WTF, locked the keys in the car while washing it.