IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got an Accident to Save a Dog

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 10:54 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

for you ppl saying 'karma' you do know its a 2way street, he is also getting some payback for some past event...

as for saving the dog... honestly your lucky to be alive, that was a foolish thing to do, whats more important your life or a dogs? I know a girl who wrapped a telefone pole to save a cat... anything that comes infront my car when im going down the road is dead meat... good thing your ok which is why ppl say its nice you saved the dog...
Old 07-07-08, 10:58 AM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LIS350A
Absolutely.
Don't over think it. I'm sure you only had a few seconds to react.

Anyone who thinks you should have hit the dog is a jerk. It's a living animal that can feel pain.

I hope your car gets fixed quickly. If I was the dog owner, I would be so grateful I would pay every penny for you. It would be worth having my dog safe.
I am just glad everyone and the dog is okay in this sitauation

but I think places like Young Driver actually teach you to run over smaller animal if you can stop in time cause if you lose control you might hurt more then just a dog.

for example in this situation you might hurt yourself, or the owner of the dog.

but personally I would try to stop also.
Old 07-07-08, 11:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Good job man. You did the right thing. This will come back to you one day in the future, garaunteed. A big thumbs up!
Old 07-07-08, 12:16 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
I'm disappointed in you.

You should've done the following instead of steer away from the dog:

- Run right into the dog.
- Press the gas pedal, or WOT and run right into the dog.

The only thing would cause damage is your front bumper and grill. The entire body structure wouldn't get damaged. Since you chose the ditch your car would be in some serious damage. Not only would it save your car but save you!
Originally Posted by LIS350A
Anyone who thinks you should have hit the dog is a jerk. It's a living animal that can feel pain.
i didn't say it. i just quoted it.
Old 07-07-08, 12:23 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
for you ppl saying 'karma' you do know its a 2way street, he is also getting some payback for some past event...

as for saving the dog... honestly your lucky to be alive, that was a foolish thing to do, whats more important your life or a dogs? I know a girl who wrapped a telefone pole to save a cat... anything that comes infront my car when im going down the road is dead meat... good thing your ok which is why ppl say its nice you saved the dog...
While that may be true, you have to realize that he probably wasn't thinking in that split second (wreck the car and possibly lose my life/endanger others or kill the dog) but (avoid the dog and have no accident period).

What if it was a deer or something? Woudln't you swerve out of the way? Maybe the dog was a larger breed (something around 50 pounds)

What if it was a person and not a dog? That dead meat philosophy isn't going to get you anywhere with that.
Old 07-07-08, 12:29 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you should of honked at the dog? It could maybe step aside for you. =P

How fast were you going? If you weren't speeding and the dog came out, slam your brakes. If you still hit it, thats karma.
Old 07-07-08, 12:33 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

thats one lucky dog. You made the right choice. Propz man.
car is replaceable. A mans best friend is hard to replace. Dog lovers ftw.
Hope everything works out for you in the end. She should pay for the damages.

I member when i was young a dog T-boned my moms car, Doggie did a 180 and ran the other way, fatty dent in the car. dog was mia
Old 07-07-08, 12:40 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I see a dog on the road, I would avoid hit the dog.. But the cat, hell no Im gonna run over them HAHAHA I dont like cats because Im tired of see them sit on top of the car..
Old 07-07-08, 12:41 PM
ISWillie
Rookie

As many have said already, you did a good thing. Maybe the dog owner's homeowner's insurance can come in to pay for at least any deductible.
Old 07-07-08, 01:42 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ELL Y
While that may be true, you have to realize that he probably wasn't thinking in that split second (wreck the car and possibly lose my life/endanger others or kill the dog) but (avoid the dog and have no accident period).

What if it was a deer or something? Woudln't you swerve out of the way? Maybe the dog was a larger breed (something around 50 pounds)

What if it was a person and not a dog? That dead meat philosophy isn't going to get you anywhere with that.
I agree with llamaboiz.

Its a lot easier to replace some Dog than your own life. The OP could have ended up Dead or paralyzed in that ditch....

then what would you say "Your son did the right thing by saving that dog?"

Last edited by tqlla3k; 07-07-08 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 01:52 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

for not hitting the dog

think of it this way...even if you hit the dog your car would've still been damaged...albeit significantly less damage but still damaged nonetheless
Old 07-07-08, 02:01 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks what you had to do but that was the right thing. hope everything works out smoothly
Old 07-07-08, 02:01 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ELL Y
What if it was a deer or something? Woudln't you swerve out of the way?
Not if you value your safety.

Several states have public service campaigns with the slogan, "Don't Veer for Deer". Most injuries and fatalities occur when people swerve to avoid a deer in their path, not when they actually hit one.
Old 07-07-08, 02:15 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

True
I suppose the most important thing is to
be prudent and drive slowly.

(not to say anything about the op - I don't know enough of the circumstances here)
Old 07-07-08, 03:22 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

look ppl i didnt say 'run over dogs', all i said was human life is more important than a dogs/wrecking the car, in those situations its better to kill the dog/damage the car than risk injury to yourself... lets not turn this into a hate debate for you PETA lovers... to prove im not some monster heres something i think you'll all ENJOY

Quick Reply: Got an Accident to Save a Dog