IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got an Accident to Save a Dog

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 08:54 PM
tsx_lex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether you did the right or wrong thing is definitely how you define what is right/wrong. Most of us will agree that you did the right thing, but there are always exceptions.
Old 07-08-08, 08:56 PM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

uh.. next time hit the dog and tell that owner to put the stupid thing on a leash.
Old 07-08-08, 10:46 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meowCat
I'm disappointed in you.

You should've done the following instead of steer away from the dog:

- Run right into the dog.
- Press the gas pedal, or WOT and run right into the dog.

The only thing would cause damage is your front bumper and grill. The entire body structure wouldn't get damaged. Since you chose the ditch your car would be in some serious damage. Not only would it save your car but save you!

I have seen plenty of people here slow down or stop in the middle of the street/highway just so geeks can walk across. Next time I ever see them doing that I will run into them at full throttle with VSC/Trac off and in PWR mode.

Seriously.
I agree. I think that if you went into a ditch and got the car that messed up your life could of been in danger also. I would not save the dogs life over my life any day. All in all you did the right thing but that could of been your life. If it was me i would run it over if i cant slow down and not hit it. But i would not go out of my way to swerve or rapidly stop if cars are behind me. See if it was a kid crossing the street thats a diffrent story. Dog/animal run that **** over.
Old 07-17-08, 02:48 PM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Question Roof Photos Added

Well the damage is now at 15,700$ Got them to add 3 left body panels to fix also. Had some deep scratches that weren't there before. %^$#

The disturbing thing is the dents on the roof. Nothing hit there but yet I have one dent on the front left and rear right of the sunroof. This must be from the chassis flexing when it hit the ditch. My question is, they say the chassis is fine. They'll give me a scan report after the work is done to prove it...

Anyone knowledgeable in this field can tell me if damage of this type from a unibody frame is ok?

front left

rear right
Old 07-17-08, 03:58 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow risk your own life to save a dog? damage your car to the point of not being able to be used? call that good karma or something, but thats flat out stupid. if you want to talk about good karma then the owner of the dog would compensate you completely for all the trouble. but im guessing they wont!
Old 07-17-08, 06:05 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For all here preaching that "life >> metal/plastic", I sure hope you don't have any mosquitos, moths, lightning bugs, dragonflies, etc. on your windshield, headlamps and grille. How hypocritical that you wouldn't take evasive measures to avoid killing these precious creatures...
Old 07-17-08, 06:28 PM
solspeed
Driver

Man you did the rights thing, i would feel like sh!!!t and guilty for a long time if i decide to hit that dogs. Everything will work itself out dude. GL
Old 07-17-08, 07:25 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt say hit the dog but i wouldnt have swerved to avoid it either.

sorry to hear about your damages, that looks very costly and painful to see.

if i were in that situation... i would be looking for the dog's owner to pay for the costs since their lil precious is still alive and who can put a price on that?
Old 07-17-08, 07:57 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Little E
Aw...that was nice of you to save the dog. Too bad about your car. I totally think she (the dog owner) should take care of any and all costs to repair damage done to your vehicle.
exaaaaaaaactly what i was thinking
Old 07-17-08, 08:56 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Experience rules. When driving and something pops out in front of you you only have a split second to react, and you have to instantly decide if it is safe or prudent to do an emergency maneuver. A human is one thing, a dog or cat is something else. People who say 'you saved a life', lets not confuse a dog with a human. Not all lives are equal.

Many human lives have been lost by people swerving into oncoming traffic to save the 'little doggie'. If it is unsafe to make a maneuver continue in a straight line.

None of us were there so who knows what the right answer really was, but doing $16,000 damage to your car vs a dog; well, I have my thoughts as to what the right answer was under those circumstances.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I know it sucks, but you don't want to have a nice looking car with the knowledge that you killed a dog with it.
Wouldn't bother me in the least. A dog is not worth $16,000 in damages. I'd feel bad for about 15 minutes, and then move on. If I was driving prudently I'm not going to beat myself up over it. YMMV.

Originally Posted by Buds
You did the right thing. Metal can be fixed, a life cannot be replaced
A dog's life is not equivalent to a human's.

Originally Posted by Zeus69
For all here preaching that "life >> metal/plastic", I sure hope you don't have any mosquitos, moths, lightning bugs, dragonflies, etc. on your windshield, headlamps and grille. How hypocritical that you wouldn't take evasive measures to avoid killing these precious creatures...
Exactly!

Last edited by Evitzee; 07-18-08 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-17-08, 10:27 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

^Agree. You have a split second to react not too much you can do when you get into an emergency situation.

Ooh this should be made a poll. Choose your path to adventure:
Save dog and lose $16,000
-or-
Hit Dog and lose $2,000

If the dog owner doesn't pay up I suppose you can attempt to open a lawsuit if the dog was running around off leash when it shouldn't have been.
Old 07-17-08, 10:45 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I know it sucks, but you don't want to have a nice looking car with the knowledge that you killed a dog with it.
That's for sure. It would be a bad memory to have to live with. I'm just glad that during the crash you didn't take out a bunch of kids walking along the road. That would have been an entirely different scenario.
Old 07-17-08, 10:48 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
as for saving the dog... honestly your lucky to be alive, that was a foolish thing to do, whats more important your life or a dogs? I know a girl who wrapped a telefone pole to save a cat... anything that comes infront my car when im going down the road is dead meat... good thing your ok which is why ppl say its nice you saved the dog...
And that is the other side of the coin. If you'd been hurt or killed, or killed other people avoiding the dog, this thread would have an entirely different viewpoints.
Old 07-18-08, 09:46 AM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

You should ve hit the dog. Happened to me before 4 years ago with my 2003 Jeep .

Where in ottawa do you live? I used to live there for 3 years!!
Old 07-18-08, 11:31 AM
kiddolay
Rookie

In my hometown, many of my high school buddies have to drive in these tiny country roads to get to school. To make matters worse, we live in the mountains. There is always an incident every year with deer on the road. It is a dangerous situation and everyone have said to hit the deer. But every once in a while, someone decides to save the deer, veer off the road, down the hill and get the car wrapped around the tree.

I agree with what some people have said in this thread; in the worst case, hit the dog. If the OP was well aware of the surroundings, ensuring that he would be safe, then I agree with the other people on OP's choice of choosing to save the dog. OP could have struck children or other pedestrians while saving the dog.

Its easy to judge after the fact but everyone should think what they would have done if they were in that situation and they don't have but a split second to think. In fact, what would the initial body reaction be to the same incident? Sometimes, the body react faster than we can think and decide.