IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 or BMW ??? questions guys...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 05:19 PM
Maco30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 or BMW ??? questions guys...

hey guys, i'm new to this forum, but i have a 545 that i'm trying to get out of and thinking of getting into an IS 350. I have never owned a Lexus before so i don't know what kind of common problems they may have or i would face. Are you guys haapy w/ur lexus? I test drove one and really liked the way it rives, very nice and smooth stops which i can never get in my 545. i liked the Nav that is user friendly, and the trim...are these cars high maintenance? expensive to fix? thx for the help..
Old 07-07-08, 05:27 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Coming from a 545 might be a big difference since your use to more power and stiffer suspension.

But I am very happy with my car, and the only problem I had was cosmetic; minor rattles in my back window. Not a single problem (it feels weird coming from a VW).

I don't think the car is high maintenance for its market segment. Just follow regular maintenance guidelines and you will be fine.

Also note that the NAV will lock you out of adjusting addresses and stuff once the car is moving.
Old 07-07-08, 06:18 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Maco30
hey guys, i'm new to this forum, but i have a 545 that i'm trying to get out of and thinking of getting into an IS 350. I have never owned a Lexus before so i don't know what kind of common problems they may have or i would face. Are you guys haapy w/ur lexus? I test drove one and really liked the way it rives, very nice and smooth stops which i can never get in my 545. i liked the Nav that is user friendly, and the trim...are these cars high maintenance? expensive to fix? thx for the help..
I would say Lexus are very low maintenance and easy to fix, however Lexus dealers are combating this problem to increase their revenue every chance they get. The common problems are subjective and easy to become familar with in this forum. I considered BMW 3 series before buying IS350 mostly for economic maintenance reasons.
Old 07-07-08, 06:20 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus has been top 3 or 4 in reliability for the past 10 years. My mom had an LS400 back in 1993 and It was in my house for 14 years and NO problems until year 9. It started giving some problems after we took it in for the 70,000mile service. hehe. After that the power steering gave some problems.

THe point is, if you are looking for comfort, RELIABILITY, and luxury (nav, and all that) go for the LExus IS350. It is also surprissingly sporty

If you dont mind some problems that BMW always have. like windows, brakes, and fuel pumps, then deal with it and go with BMW.
BMW also feel more alive when driving, but also less comfortable.

Resale value for the IS350 is GREAT because its a lexus and there are not many of them around.

From an economic stand point, taking away all the intangibles.. the LExus is definitely a better buy.

good luck!!!
Old 07-07-08, 07:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Yay-Z
Coming from a 545 might be a big difference since your use to more power and stiffer suspension.

But I am very happy with my car, and the only problem I had was cosmetic; minor rattles in my back window. Not a single problem (it feels weird coming from a VW).

I don't think the car is high maintenance for its market segment. Just follow regular maintenance guidelines and you will be fine.

Also note that the NAV will lock you out of adjusting addresses and stuff once the car is moving.
The 545 is just a touch more power, in a larger and heavier car... the IS350 will be 2-5 tenths quicker both 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile

But as far as quality Lexus has been #1 in JD Powers long term vehicle dependability ratings for 13 or 14 straight years now.
Old 07-07-08, 07:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

err 545 to a 2IS? i would suggest you look at the 3GS, it has more room.
Old 07-07-08, 07:30 PM
Scottward
Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Maybe he looking to right-size his vehicle.
Old 07-07-08, 07:41 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Yeah i agree
have you test driven the new IS?

depends on his needs
if he has a family, that 2is is quickly going to be cramped
Old 07-07-08, 07:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Maco30
Are you guys haapy w/ur lexus? I test drove one and really liked the way it rives, very nice and smooth stops which i can never get in my 545.

His very first post mentioned he test drove one and liked it.
Old 07-07-08, 08:35 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont have any problems with your IS, just change the oil often, and don't get to picky, about the small things, I.E. Rattles, and small noises....
Old 07-07-08, 08:54 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

I was very close to getting the current gen 3, I've driven the previous gen 3 quite a bit and liked it alot, although it just doesn't compare to Lexus when it comes to comfort and reliability. Also, I hate how the interior in the BMW has almost remained identical to the previous generation which was a bit of a factor in my decision of going with the 350 as well along with the fact that nearly everything on an BMW is an "option" which really annoyed the crap out of me as well. I'd say that the extra "sports" factor the BMW supposedly provides over the 350 doesn't make up for the rest of its downfalls... not to say that the BMW is not still a great car, just that coming from an e46 to the 2is 350, I couldn't be happier with the 350.
Old 07-07-08, 09:18 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to consider a lexus gs coming from a 5 series.... maintenance isnt that bad.. 59 for oil changes..but its only 30 if you do it yourself
Old 07-07-08, 10:30 PM
blk_is300
Pole Position

I've owned 2 BMWs in the past - a 1995 E36 M3 and a 1997 E38 740i. I still miss those Bimmers but I sold them for the same reason, high maintainence... window regulator, sunroof rails, cam position sensor, fuel pump, radiator, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket... you name it.

I've owned 3 Lexus vehicles - 1992 SC400, 2002 IS300, now with the 2006 IS350. I sold the previous two Lexus's for the same reason: I WANT ANOTHER LEXUS!!!

When you drive a Lexus it gives you a feeling that the car will never give you any trouble as long as you take good care of it. BMW's handling and road feel are a lot better than Lexus's, but if you owned a Bimmer long enough (especially w/o warranty) you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 07-08-08, 04:28 PM
Maco30
Driver School Candidate

Thx for all the info guys....I'm a single guy (not sure if having a g/f is considered single, but u get the point), and one of the reasons that i'm looking into a IS i want to down size a bit...i really like the IS, interior is very very nice, a lot more confortable than BMW's 3 and 5 series - seats have a very soft leather. Based on the comments i'm more eager now to get into a Lexus, BMW's have a very high maintenance cost and i'm just sick of taking it to the mechanic. I can give up a little power for a piece of mind that my car won't breakdown or having to fork up hundreds on a simple sensor! As soon as i sell my car i will post pictures of my new ride. thx.
Old 07-08-08, 05:32 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
???????????? which model BMW are you talking about that is faster than the IS350?

Are you planning doing a lot of 125~ 155 mph sprints? Where in the hell do you have room to do that anyways? You know....that's a wreckless driving. Anything upto 125 mph you will have very hard time beating the IS350 with any BMW models except for the latest gen M3 and M5.

And of course much better better build quality and reliability.

The only thing the BMW will edge out slightly is the handling. That's it. The Lexus is just as fast as BMW and has much better reliability. You get the best of both worlds.

wow, calm down. relax.

to the OP: you say that maintenance is an issue, but how long do you keep cars? the 545 is relatively new, within the last 4 years. did you know that bmw gives free service and maintenance for 4 years and 50k miles?

Quick Reply: IS 350 or BMW ??? questions guys...