IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tire Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 12:25 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Noise

So my IS350 is in the shop to get the TSIBs for the driver seat sqeak and the startup noise. My loaner is an ES350 which is much different in a lot of ways, obviously.

The biggest difference though, is the lack of tire noise. My IS has 15k miles and appears to have a lot of tread on it, but when driving on most streets, you hear a TON of tire noise. In the ES, you hear nothing. Is it just the nature of the 2 cars, or do you think my car needs an alignment and/or new tires?
Old 07-10-08, 12:56 PM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fleainat
So my IS350 is in the shop to get the TSIBs for the driver seat sqeak and the startup noise. My loaner is an ES350 which is much different in a lot of ways, obviously.

The biggest difference though, is the lack of tire noise. My IS has 15k miles and appears to have a lot of tread on it, but when driving on most streets, you hear a TON of tire noise. In the ES, you hear nothing. Is it just the nature of the 2 cars, or do you think my car needs an alignment and/or new tires?
I noticed that right off as well. It's OK on rubberized asphalt, but on rougher surfaces it can get noisy. I think it is because of the low profile tires on the front mostly. I'm going to try the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 at tire change time, unless I hear of a better suggestion. It is the more sporty nature of the IS over the ES.
Old 07-10-08, 01:12 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

It has a lot to do with the tire tread and compound material as well as your camber and toe settings.

If you want quiet, you are going to want less sporty/sticky tires (in general).
Old 07-10-08, 01:20 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Tire noise?...just turn up your music to drown it out.
Old 07-10-08, 02:57 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the PS2's on my car and they where so quiet compared to the OEM RE050 tires that are back on my car. Night and day difference both in handling and the amount of noise. Sounds like something is wrong with them after having the PS2's on it. A great all around performance tire for the $$ IMO that is
Old 07-10-08, 03:02 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Mike you ever experience a noise that sounds like the tire is out of balance on the RE050?

I had the tires rebalanced and still the same.
Old 07-10-08, 03:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by slee18
Hey Mike you ever experience a noise that sounds like the tire is out of balance on the RE050?

I had the tires rebalanced and still the same.
It sounds like they are defective its soooo loud and I cant figure out what is wrong. they only have maybe 12k miles since I had winter rims/tires plus the summer rims. I have plenty of tread on them

To me it sounds like they are falling apart and the rubber is brittle or something. I am going to have Discount look at them and drive my car to see if there is something wrong with them. I cant see anything visually and I just took them off again to throw on spacers. I put on 20mm in the rear and it fits perfect and planted the car again They just bolted right on and took all of 5 min to install. Drives so much better and of course looks good too

I will let you know if I find anything out

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-08, 03:12 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Little E
Tire noise?...just turn up your music to drown it out.
HAHA...I do this but I can still hear it Thats how loud it is Even my wife was like what the heck is that
Old 07-10-08, 03:23 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The IS350 resonates rolling/wheel/tire noise that no tires will eliminate it. You'll get used to it!

Koz
Old 07-10-08, 03:30 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

its called performance tires.. i have a pair of michelin ps2 225/40/18 for sale PM for details if your interested. great tires and road noise is better along with handling.. i actually have dunlops on my car now and are pretty quiet compared to the potenzas
Old 07-10-08, 03:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Fleainat

It's all in the tires. The ES uses tall all-season jobs. The IS is all about performance and handling (or at least it tries to be). Changing over to all-seasons with your next tire purchase would help cut some noise.
Old 07-10-08, 04:03 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It is not just the tires, it is also in the front suspension design.

Koz
Old 07-10-08, 05:15 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
It sounds like they are defective its soooo loud and I cant figure out what is wrong. they only have maybe 12k miles since I had winter rims/tires plus the summer rims. I have plenty of tread on them

To me it sounds like they are falling apart and the rubber is brittle or something. I am going to have Discount look at them and drive my car to see if there is something wrong with them. I cant see anything visually and I just took them off again to throw on spacers. I put on 20mm in the rear and it fits perfect and planted the car again They just bolted right on and took all of 5 min to install. Drives so much better and of course looks good too

I will let you know if I find anything out
That is what I was thinking too. I only have about 10K on mine and i dont see anything wrong. I am gonna take the tire off myself this weekend if it stays below 110.

Why did you put spacers on the rear?
Old 07-10-08, 05:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
The IS350 resonates rolling/wheel/tire noise that no tires will eliminate it. You'll get used to it!

Koz
Not True! I had NO noise when i have the aftermarket rims and PS2 tires on. This is fact from me driving the car.

another member has the 2 front tires for sale. Give them a try and tell me what you think and how the noise is. My car sound like **** now and I have never had a car OEM sound this way. Has it gotten worse? I dont know but after having the other tires on its much louder. I noticed this also from the SNOW tires and going back to OEM before I had the summer rims/tires on the car.

So speaking from real world experience and what I have seen and heard its the tires on the car all day long.

Mike
Old 07-10-08, 05:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by slee18
That is what I was thinking too. I only have about 10K on mine and i dont see anything wrong. I am gonna take the tire off myself this weekend if it stays below 110.

Why did you put spacers on the rear?
my car is lowered and I dont want to remove the springs when I sell it. Just not worth the time and money for what they will sell for. Being I have the OEM rims back on the car now it "looked" funny and I didnt care for how it handled. IMO the car felt very loose in the turns and I know a portion is the PS2 tires I had on the car. But after driving the car today I like how it takes the turns and also how the rims are now flush with the rear fender. I could have went a little more but it works for what I need it for. I will take some pics over the next few days and post pics. they just bolt on so no altering and I can easily take them off if I wanted when I trade the car in

Quick Reply: Tire Noise