IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rock chips, touch up paint or leave it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 12:34 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock chips, touch up paint or leave it?

First of all, what's up guys?

Everytime after I wash my car I am so damn pissed because of rock chips. some are little some are big, question is should I use touch up paint and paint those little rock chips? Their paint suks : (

Peace
Old 07-10-08, 12:53 PM
cheappc
Driver

Well I kinda agree with you, the paint is very soft, you should get a clear bra, thats what i did.. it helped me significantly!
Old 07-10-08, 12:58 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

you could touch up the chips with paint every time you wash, but you'll just get more as time goes on. i'd say touch up some of the larger ones for now, but wait until your front bumper is really pockmarked, and touch it up all at once. that way the next time you wash it'll feel like the chips just magically disappeared ^^

or you could bite the bullet and get the bumper resprayed and clear bra'd.
Old 07-10-08, 01:45 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

i gave up touching up all the chips on my hood. my car is dark so it's a lot more noticeable than a lighter car. i'm to a point where i'm waiting til i can't stand it anymore then i will either buy a cf hood or have it resprayed and clear bra'd. if i could start over, i would clear bra the entire front end of my car. hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors...
Old 07-11-08, 01:46 PM
LHARTWICK
Driver School Candidate

Question

What is a clear bra? Is this a separate piece that fits on the front of the car or some kind of coating?
Old 07-11-08, 04:17 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lhartwick - it's a film that goes over your front body panels (bumper, partial or full hod, partial or full fenders) to protect your paint from rock chips.

http://www.clearbrafilms.com/arkansas << check it out.
Old 07-11-08, 04:29 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I avoided the dreaded rock chips (as all newer cars suffer this problem) by not driving my car until I had a 3M clear bra installed. I highly recommend that if you repaint, you clear bra asap. It's the only way to go. FYI, I have no rock chip damage at all, the front of my bumper looks brand new thanks to clear bra.
Old 07-12-08, 11:43 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

I'm getting my car resprayed for the exact same reason I'm debating about getting a clear bra because my car is black and whenever I see a black car with a clear bra I see the line where the clear bra ends. I really don't like that, but then again it does protect the paint. So confused on what to do..
Old 07-12-08, 01:35 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

To those who didn't have clear bra installed when their cars were new and now are clearly bothered with bumpers peppered with rock chips, do it the right way, get it repainted then clear bra'd.
Old 07-12-08, 02:23 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna have to get it repainted and bra'd..it's too late now the elements have already beat up the front bumper. Good ol' southern california highways
Old 07-12-08, 05:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjaix
First of all, what's up guys?

Everytime after I wash my car I am so damn pissed because of rock chips. some are little some are big, question is should I use touch up paint and paint those little rock chips? Their paint suks : (

Peace
I know this is impossible, but try driving more at night and less during the day. When traffic is light, there are less things being kicked up right in front of your car. I am fortunate enough to have nighly commutes, and my car is chip-free.
Old 07-12-08, 07:31 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexudv
...whenever I see a black car with a clear bra I see the line where the clear bra ends. I really don't like that, but then again it does protect the paint. So confused on what to do..
Get the FULL bra on the hood and fenders -> no lines. Get it on there immediately too, like from the dealer. It helps to read these forums while waiting on your special order from Japan, though the wait is a killer.