IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

oem front lip: yes or no for newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 09:21 PM
jkwan18
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem front lip: yes or no for newbie?

I need some opinions regarding the oem front lip. I have a leased 250 Canadian x-pac. As some of you may know, Canadian x-pac do not come with the oem lip. Should I get it since this is a leased car? And second of all can I handle the installation myself, or should I get the dealer to install it to avoid voiding warranty? Note that I'm a newbie when it comes to mod, and the only mod I have now is the blue fog overlay. It comes to around 220 cdn with shipping from Sewell, and I think that's as good a deal as it gets.
Old 07-10-08, 09:31 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes.

It's on sale and here's how easy it is to install...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=253544
Old 07-11-08, 12:17 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 for the sewell sale on the front lip spoiler.

it comes with instructions, so if you're bold enough - and good enough w/ tools - you can do it yourself.

since your 2is is leased, i don't know if you should drill holes on the bumper. there are two ways to mount it. one is to drill holes for the mounting tabs per the supplied instructions, and the other is to break the tabs off and use double-sided tape (you'll find that set of instructions on clublexus).

use the search function, and you'll find what you're looking for.

good luck; keep us posted.

Last edited by projectdna; 07-11-08 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 01:13 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for it! I don't think Lexus would mind if you put on an OEM front lip on your leased IS. If it were an aftermarket lip, you'd probably have to take it off when you returned your car at the end of your lease.
Old 07-11-08, 09:17 AM
Navigatn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by projectdna
+1 for the sewell sale on the front lip spoiler.

it comes with instructions, so if you're bold enough - and good enough w/ tools - you can do it yourself.

since your 2is is leased, i don't know if you should drill holes on the bumper. there are two ways to mount it. one is to drill holes for the mounting tabs per the supplied instructions, and the other is to break the tabs off and use double-sided tape (you'll find that set of instructions on clublexus).

use the search function, and you'll find what you're looking for.

good luck; keep us posted.
i dont think u need to drill holes for the gfx front. rear lip, yes... front i think is bolt on. i could be wrong. and if you do need to drill holes for the gfx front, you can always opt for the ing lip which you just basically just snap on and go. lol, no screws required!! but i did secure mine with a screw at each end just to be safe.
Old 07-11-08, 09:34 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

installation takes 20 minutes tops. all you need is a phillips and flathead screwdriver.
Old 07-11-08, 11:04 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Navigatn
i dont think u need to drill holes for the gfx front. rear lip, yes... front i think is bolt on. i could be wrong. and if you do need to drill holes for the gfx front, you can always opt for the ing lip which you just basically just snap on and go. lol, no screws required!! but i did secure mine with a screw at each end just to be safe.
actually, according to the supplied instructions you have to drill two sets of holes on each side of the front bumper for the mounting clips on the sides of the front lip spoiler. the upside is, the sides of the front lip will sit flush against the sides of the bumper. downside is, you'll have drilled holes in your bumper.

several CL members have found a way around it by breaking off the tabs and using double-sided tape to affix the sides of the front lip spoiler to the bumper without drilling holes. upside is, no drilled holes. downside is, the sides of the lip spoiler won't sit flush against the sides of the bumper.

personally, i opted for the former mounting option, since i own my 2is. for those who are wary of drilling holes into their bumpers, or for those that don't own their 2is's, the latter option is probably your best bet.
Old 07-11-08, 11:16 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have my front and rear bumpers drilled. Since it's the OEM add-on parts, if I sell my car, I don't really have to worry about parting it out. The proper way to install is to drill it. If you take off your bumpers, there are marks inside them that indicate where you need to drill. If you think you might get a different lip kit later, then you should just break off the tabs and use 3M tape to adhere the lip on.

Terrance
Old 07-11-08, 12:55 PM
jkwan18
Rookie

So if I were not to drill holes, I'll need to get some 3M tapes separately is that right?
Old 07-11-08, 01:02 PM
cheappc
Driver

Hey guys, can someone be realistic about the front lip spoiler?

I travel to Laughlin and Las Vegas a lot on my IS, do you think it would be wise for me just to use 3m tape?

I tried the 3m on my rear trunk spoiler, then it came off? so I used gorilla glue, and Ive been to vegas and laughlin quite a few times with no problem.

But in installing the front lower lip, and rear lower lip, do you think it would be wiser to drill?
Old 07-11-08, 04:22 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

click on the link and go to page 4

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=253544

....I did not drill or use additional 3m tape and I do not have any gap issues. I guess I got lucky.
Old 07-26-08, 01:32 PM
jkwan18
Rookie

Ok guys, here's the update:

So I pulled the trigger and bought the gfx lip... It came yesterday in the mail and I tried to give it a shot... I could barely stick my head under the car and I can't get to the tabs and screws.... I'm torn here as to what I should do... should I just pay some garage to do this and get some ramps for more clearance and try to do the job myself?
Old 07-26-08, 05:10 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

install it yourself...it's easy. but since it's a lease, I wouldn't do it.
Old 07-26-08, 06:10 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

get some ramps or jacks....20 minutes tops. 9 bolts and 2 push clips, can't get any easier than that
Old 08-02-08, 07:13 PM
jkwan18
Rookie

Finally installed the lip. It was a very easy job, 20 mins only. I did the no drilling method, and minimal gaps on both sides. Here are some pics:

I also did the red-outs today too!

Quick Reply: oem front lip: yes or no for newbie?