IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sirius Dealer Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 10:48 AM
jr461
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius Dealer Install

I am negotiating on a new IS 250 AWD and want them to install Sirius (please, no debate about DIY or dealer in stall...thanks!).

My question is, will they utilize the shark fin antenna or add one inside the car.

From my search results, I couldn't find many install threads that were very recent that detailed this information. The older threads from just after Lexus started offering Sirius in the IS250 mention an antenna on the front windshield, which I would not be happy about.

I'm hoping over time they figured out that they can use the shark fin.

Can anyone confirm?

Anyone have pics of recently installed Sirius and how the display shows up?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-14-08, 10:54 AM
ANM250
Driver School Candidate

Wow good luck on it I do not now if they use the shark fin but they should, When I was negotiating mine they said it was a 1k option.
Old 07-14-08, 10:55 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

member IceZ just had this done on his new IS250. Send him a PM and from what I saw being in his car this weekend there is another antenna on his front window as I am not sure what else it would be fore. Its not the rain sensor but close to it and has double sided tape holding it up. Not very noticeable I was just installing a radar for him so I knew it was different.

Mike
Old 07-14-08, 10:57 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 742 Likes on 512 Posts

I have it installed in my 350 and I say try to get them to install it somewhere else. The reception in that area sucks. I'll be driving through cloudless and treeless residential areas and it'll cut out for no reason. I'm thinking about getting another antenna and moving it. But of course I have no talent in that department whatsoever.
Old 07-14-08, 11:04 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I have it installed in my 350 and I say try to get them to install it somewhere else. The reception in that area sucks. I'll be driving through cloudless and treeless residential areas and it'll cut out for no reason. I'm thinking about getting another antenna and moving it. But of course I have no talent in that department whatsoever.
what is the reason the sharfin cant be used is it just the plug or is there something else that is stopping it from working? Its a fairly large antenna also. Maybe mount it on top of the 3rd brake light and have more open view from the back? I had something similar in another car and it worked and you couldnt tell it was there. Should be easy to move also
Old 07-14-08, 11:10 AM
jr461
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the quick answers, although I'm not happy with what I'm hearing.

For a mid-$30K car and a price of $825 to install, it sounds pretty shoddy. I can just as well save the money and plop my Starmate in and hide some wires, however, I want this to be clean and professional and play thru the head unit utilizing the steering wheel controls as well.

Until I read this forum there would have been no earthly reason to believe they would not use the shark fin. Thanks to you all I am asking the dealer explicitly before finalizing anything.

If anyone has a different experience, please let us know. I'd like to hear at least one dealer was able to use it.
Old 07-14-08, 11:35 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the sharkfin is ment for xm radio. therefore if you want to use the sharkfin you must purchase the adapter cable that will plug into the sharkfin cable thus utilizing the sharkfin for sirius use. i believe vais has that adapter cable.

only way possible. btw i use the sharkfin for sirius, it works well.
Old 07-14-08, 11:36 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 742 Likes on 512 Posts

IMO they don't use the sharkfin because they are lazy. I get good reception 85% of the time so it doesn't bother me too much
Old 07-14-08, 11:44 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen K
IMO they don't use the sharkfin because they are lazy. I get good reception 85% of the time so it doesn't bother me too much
i think it has to do more with licenses and agreements they have with xm.

i forgot to mention, maybe if you brought them the adapter and negotiated that into the sirius install theyd do it.
Old 07-14-08, 12:20 PM
IceZ
Pole Position

Jr i had the dealer install sirius in my car. I got it free of charge because of a dealer screw up but....i am afraid to say they did add what looks to be an antenna on the front window. Mike (Passnu2) is right its not really noticeable until you have another IS near by and see that they dont have it on their window. I can snap some pics when i get home today so you can see what it looks like.

Mike
Old 07-14-08, 01:11 PM
jr461
Driver School Candidate

I was ASSURED by the dealer who allegedly spoke to the tech that they absolutely use the roof antenna. I was told that the installation would be invisible to me and will integrate into the steering wheel controls, etc.

I am making the plunge, hoping to take delivery in the next couple of weeks.

Smoky Granite with black, HID lights, spoiler and premium package.

Can't wait
Old 07-14-08, 01:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jr461
I was ASSURED by the dealer who allegedly spoke to the tech that they absolutely use the roof antenna. I was told that the installation would be invisible to me and will integrate into the steering wheel controls, etc.

I am making the plunge, hoping to take delivery in the next couple of weeks.

Smoky Granite with black, HID lights, spoiler and premium package.

Can't wait
My money is on the dealer having no idea the difference between sirius and XM and he just asked the tech "If you install satelite radio in a car does it use that antenna on top?"

and the tech, assuming he's asking about Xm, saying yes
Old 07-14-08, 03:17 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fluxx
the sharkfin is ment for xm radio. therefore if you want to use the sharkfin you must purchase the adapter cable that will plug into the sharkfin cable thus utilizing the sharkfin for sirius use. i believe vais has that adapter cable.

only way possible. btw i use the sharkfin for sirius, it works well.
^^^ what he said
Old 07-14-08, 04:15 PM
IceZ
Pole Position

Here you go...i snapped some quick pictures of what i believe is the antenna in the window. Sorry in advance for the crappy quality and lighting

Old 07-14-08, 04:23 PM
IceZ
Pole Position

Quick Reply: Sirius Dealer Install