IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Have you ever noticed: non A/C ventilation after car is warm blows warm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 04:48 PM
tom_s
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Have you ever noticed: non A/C ventilation after car is warm blows warm?

Question about interior ventilation with A/C off.

Conditions: cool air outside, car engine is warm (normal operating temperature); car has been parked with engine off for, say, twenty minutes; ventilation system is set to a temperature below outside temperature, even all the way to LO; you restart and drive off with interior ventilation on, outside air, fan blowing at mid-level (to face and body), but A/C (airconditioning) OFF.

Observation: lots of WARM air flows out of the ventilation system. Cool air will flow instantly when A/C is turned on, but the question is in regard to ventilation with A/C OFF.

My Guess: I think this is happening because the ventilation system draws air through ductwork that becomes heat-soaked by the engine compartment when the car is parked with a warm engine. This does not occur when the engine is stone cold.

Does your ISx50 act this way, too?

Last edited by tom_s; 07-18-08 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-16-08, 05:29 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh, what do you think A/C means?

How else do you get cold air when you turn the cold air maker off?
Old 07-16-08, 06:12 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

i dont know why but in my old honda.. with ac off i turn the **** to cool.. cool air wil vent through but if its cold and i want warm i just turn the ****.... it works with most of my older cars.. never tried it in my lexus though....
Old 07-16-08, 06:47 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Just leave the a/c on always... you only save less than 1 mpg turning it off according to some posts...
Old 07-16-08, 07:09 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tom_s

Conditions: car engine is warm (normal operating temperature); car has been parked with engine off for, say, ten minutes; ventilation system is set to a temperature below outside temperature, even all the way to LO; you restart and drive off with interior ventilation on, fan blowing at mid-level (to face and body), but A/C OFF.

Observation: lots of WARM air flows out of the ventilation system. Cool air will flow instantly when A/C is turned on, but the question is in regard to ventilation with A/C OFF.

My Guess: I think this is happening because the ventilation system draws air through ductwork that becomes heat-soaked by the engine compartment when the car is parked with a warm engine. This does not occur when the engine is stone cold.

Does your ISx50 act this way, too? Thanks in advance for your response.
wow really??
Old 07-16-08, 07:24 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also to observe, what is your pathway set to when you turn the car on, is it recirculate or fresh air? as i have this particular problem of the car choosing to close off outside air if the car has been sitting.
Old 07-16-08, 11:48 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tom_s

Conditions: cool air outside, car engine is warm (normal operating temperature); car has been parked with engine off for, say, ten minutes; ventilation system is set to a temperature below outside temperature, even all the way to LO; you restart and drive off with interior ventilation on, outside air, fan blowing at mid-level (to face and body), but A/C (airconditioning) OFF.

Does your ISx50 act this way, too?

Just noticed this tonight. Really hot today in SoCal got in car at 7:00 PM real hot inside garage had climate control set to Lo air felt like heater was on, eventually got tired of waiting for cool air so I turned on A/C button.
Old 07-17-08, 01:05 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

ok guys, a quick physics lesson here. It is physically impossible, regardless of where you set the temperature, to get cooler than ambient air coming through the vents without the AC compressor engaged. If it's 100 degrees outside, you've set the temp to 60 degrees, the compressor is off, you will get air that is ATLEAST 100 degrees. And that's assuming the engine bay is cool and isn't adding any additional heat. This phenomenon isn't limited to Lexus, it's physics, the way the world works and applies to ALL cars.

The only variance from car to car would be how well the ducts are insulated from the engine bay. Some systems may introduce less heat form the engine bay than others, but NONE will be cooler than ambient.

Waiting for cool air on a hot day with the compressor off??? Where exactly are you expecting this cool air to come from?

Last edited by Ramon; 07-17-08 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-17-08, 02:11 AM
wushuboy
Driver

LOL at the original post.
Old 07-17-08, 02:14 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

i notice that too. my gf corolla blows really cold air without the AC on. its the same temp as outside
Old 07-18-08, 11:46 AM
shadow191
Pole Position

I think that's what the OP is trying to figure out. Whether or not the IS' climate control system adds a lot of heat to incoming air. I don't think he asked if it was possible to get cooler than ambient without AC. He mentioned that when the air outside is cool, the air coming in through the vents is warm and wanted to know if that was due to the heat from the engine.

Originally Posted by Ramon
ok guys, a quick physics lesson here. It is physically impossible, regardless of where you set the temperature, to get cooler than ambient air coming through the vents without the AC compressor engaged. If it's 100 degrees outside, you've set the temp to 60 degrees, the compressor is off, you will get air that is ATLEAST 100 degrees. And that's assuming the engine bay is cool and isn't adding any additional heat. This phenomenon isn't limited to Lexus, it's physics, the way the world works and applies to ALL cars.

The only variance from car to car would be how well the ducts are insulated from the engine bay. Some systems may introduce less heat form the engine bay than others, but NONE will be cooler than ambient.

Waiting for cool air on a hot day with the compressor off??? Where exactly are you expecting this cool air to come from?
Old 10-05-10, 09:03 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Hi Everyone,

This morning I noticed that it was cold outside yet the air coming through my vents (climate control was off and on FRESH AIR) was very warm. I thought this was odd and decided to turn on the climate control (Auto). I noticed right away that the temp was ALL the way up to HI. I turned it back down to something like 68 and then shut the climate control off. I immediately felt a drop in the temp of the air coming in from the outside. It seems that the climate control...even in the off position may affect the temp of air coming in from the outside when you have the climate control off and using fresh air.