IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Crazy Dealer Service Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 09:37 PM
spurpura
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Dealer Service Recommendations?

Hi,

I own a 2007 IS 250 AWD in New York, and I took it to the dealer today with 16200 miles on it for the 15k service. The dealer service manager recommended 3 additional things and I thought two were crazy and/or designed to raise dealer revenue rather than help my car. I'm curious what the rest of you think. Here's the list:

(1) Replace the engine air filter. (note: the cabin air filter gets replaced at 15k service ... I probably should have replaced the engine air filter)

(2) Take the break pads off the car. Remove the slider pins. Caliper perches get sandblasted and lubed. Will cause breaks to wear evenly. Allegedly prevents $700 break service (if Lexus dealers get $700 to replace the brakes and rotors, I need to become a Lexus mechanic).

(3) Throttle plate service. Clean some plate related to the throttle. Failure to clean it can result in loss of control of the car.
Old 07-17-08, 09:56 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha... seems like a bunch of BS... btw BMW mechanics make more.. I heard they can make over 100k... which is pretty good for what they do...
Old 07-17-08, 10:05 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anesthesiologists make 250k ..
Old 07-17-08, 10:47 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by spurpura
Hi,

I own a 2007 IS 250 AWD in New York, and I took it to the dealer today with 16200 miles on it for the 15k service. The dealer service manager recommended 3 additional things and I thought two were crazy and/or designed to raise dealer revenue rather than help my car. I'm curious what the rest of you think. Here's the list:

(1) Replace the engine air filter. (note: the cabin air filter gets replaced at 15k service ... I probably should have replaced the engine air filter)

(2) Take the break pads off the car. Remove the slider pins. Caliper perches get sandblasted and lubed. Will cause breaks to wear evenly. Allegedly prevents $700 break service (if Lexus dealers get $700 to replace the brakes and rotors, I need to become a Lexus mechanic).

(3) Throttle plate service. Clean some plate related to the throttle. Failure to clean it can result in loss of control of the car.

Your owners manual outlines ALL routine maintanence the vehicle they (Lexus) designed/built/warranty requires. anything else is profit motivated
Old 07-17-08, 10:50 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by i3urton
anesthesiologists make 250k ..
And that has what to do with crazy dealer service recommendations?
Old 07-18-08, 06:13 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
And that has what to do with crazy dealer service recommendations?
I think he was tring to say don't let a car mechanic do brain surgery on you!

Old 07-18-08, 06:24 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there was some throttle plate maintenance that was needed at 15K to prevent the car from going out of control ... Lexus wouldn't be in business very long. I would ask to speak with the manager of the service department, and explain that you will never do business with them again.
Old 07-18-08, 06:47 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I cannot beleive the dealer tried to pull this on you. What a bunch of nonesense. The dealer told my father at 14k that his 2005 Cadilad STS needed all filters changed, brake flush, and fuel injector flush. I was like WTF!!
Old 07-18-08, 08:22 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spurpura
Hi,

Dealers are hurting for sales these days so they have to find "creative" ways to get extra revenue. Everyone knows they prey on peoples fears and sometimnes ignorance by throwing technical jargon at you tryin to confuse you. Its funny though when I call them on their bluff and they cant explain its benefit or justify it.

#1 should be an inspection not a requirement. Its easy to check on your own. They will use the recent "saving your fuel economy" routine. EVERY place will do it not just dealers...NTB's, Sears, Merchants and all those type chains. Playing on everyone paranoia about fuel economy.

2. This is correct. The sliders if not properly lubed will cause seizing of the calipers (the heat from the friction). I had this start happening on another vehicle, caught in time. Took me 2 hrs of time on both wheels and .10c worth of grease. BTW BMW shops charge over $1500 for brake service on an M series.

3. As you all know...the throttle plate is a round disk or butterfly on a shaft that allows air into the engine as the accelerator pedal is pushed. I believe there are also electronic sensors attached to it. If it is worn out or not functioning properly, it should be replaced but I can't see this happening on a Lexus and ESPECIALLy not something that will "cause loss of control in car" Thats horse @#$%.
Old 07-18-08, 09:02 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

bay ridge lexus?

i hear bad things about their service dept all over club lexus
Old 07-18-08, 09:09 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Ask the dealer why these extra services aren't in the owner's manual, listen for their answer, then still go for what's in the manual.
Old 07-18-08, 09:50 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

all you need is an oil change and tap the dust out of the engine and cabin filters.

I looked at 15k the engine and cabin filters are inspect items. At 30k its replace.
Old 07-18-08, 10:47 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
Dealers are hurting for sales these days so they have to find "creative" ways to get extra revenue. Everyone knows they prey on peoples fears and sometimnes ignorance by throwing technical jargon at you tryin to confuse you. Its funny though when I call them on their bluff and they cant explain its benefit or justify it.

#1 should be an inspection not a requirement. Its easy to check on your own. They will use the recent "saving your fuel economy" routine. EVERY place will do it not just dealers...NTB's, Sears, Merchants and all those type chains. Playing on everyone paranoia about fuel economy.

2. This is correct. The sliders if not properly lubed will cause seizing of the calipers (the heat from the friction). I had this start happening on another vehicle, caught in time. Took me 2 hrs of time on both wheels and .10c worth of grease. BTW BMW shops charge over $1500 for brake service on an M series.

3. As you all know...the throttle plate is a round disk or butterfly on a shaft that allows air into the engine as the accelerator pedal is pushed. I believe there are also electronic sensors attached to it. If it is worn out or not functioning properly, it should be replaced but I can't see this happening on a Lexus and ESPECIALLy not something that will "cause loss of control in car" Thats horse @#$%.
Very nice write-up!!!!
Old 07-18-08, 06:14 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by RolxuSC400
2. This is correct. The sliders if not properly lubed will cause seizing of the calipers (the heat from the friction).
If this is true, how come it isn't in the maintenance schedule? Sounds like a multi-million dollar liability issue!

Old 07-19-08, 09:12 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Which NY area dealer do you go to?

Quick Reply: Crazy Dealer Service Recommendations?