IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rotated the wheels on my 350?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 11:20 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Rotated the wheels on my 350?!?

Took my 08 IS350 in for routine 5K service today. A few weeks ago, noted that car was pulling ever so slightly to the left on the freeway. No big deal, but mentioned it to the service manager and asked if the guys could take it for a spin and see what their take is. Specifically pointed out the staggered setup when I dropped it off--he confirmed that that rotation is not performed on these models.

Picked it up this afternoon. Reading over the service receipt while they retrieved my car: "PROBLEM: Car pulls to left. SOLUTION: Wheels rotated, tire pressures adjusted. Car tracks straight."

Sure enough, as they drove it up I saw that they had actually DONE JUST THAT! Truly unbelievable to me... 255s up front, 225s in the rear. I know that they deal with 250s all day long and perform rotations as part of their daily routine, but I have a hard time digesting this.

This has certainly shaken my faith in their attention to detail, but I'm more concerned if there's a chance that they screwed up the differential during the post-rotation test drive... Would there be any "symptoms"?

I'm going to have them note this in my "file" so that if problems arise they won't claim amnesia. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-18-08, 11:24 AM
white07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing.............
Old 07-18-08, 11:33 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Took my 08 IS350 in for routine 5K service today. A few weeks ago, noted that car was pulling ever so slightly to the left on the freeway. No big deal, but mentioned it to the service manager and asked if the guys could take it for a spin and see what their take is. Specifically pointed out the staggered setup when I dropped it off--he confirmed that that rotation is not performed on these models.

Picked it up this afternoon. Reading over the service receipt while they retrieved my car: "PROBLEM: Car pulls to left. SOLUTION: Wheels rotated, tire pressures adjusted. Car tracks straight."

Sure enough, as they drove it up I saw that they had actually DONE JUST THAT! Truly unbelievable to me... 255s up front, 225s in the rear. I know that they deal with 250s all day long and perform rotations as part of their daily routine, but I have a hard time digesting this.

This has certainly shaken my faith in their attention to detail, but I'm more concerned if there's a chance that they screwed up the differential during the post-rotation test drive... Would there be any "symptoms"?

I'm going to have them note this in my "file" so that if problems arise they won't claim amnesia. Any other suggestions?
LOL. How did it look with 255s in the front? It musta been pretty flush. The rear must have looked ridiculous.

In Chicago, the dealerships deal with literally 90% IS250s, so its bound to happen if you order the full service. I just get an oil change for $50. They really don't do much for the extra $100. Which dealer was it?
Old 07-18-08, 11:49 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

It's okay to rotate IS250 AWD not IS250 RWD. I am guessing since IL gets bad snow, most people own a 250 AWD vs. 350 RWD. But that's no excuse, the techs should know this (especially since you pointed it out before your service).
Old 07-18-08, 12:03 PM
sahara78
Driver

Same thing happened to me on my 250 RWD's 5k service. Im in the northeast, so the dealers mostly see AWD 250s. I noticed it after I got home from the dealer. I called the service advisor and he insisted that the technician was right in rotating the tires. I actually had to convince him that the tires aren't supposed to be rotated..After I explained, he said something in the line of "really? I think you are wrong sir." unbelievable..I finally got a hold of a knowledgeable technician who admitted their mistake. Took it back the next day to have them re-rotated. If your car has been only driven a few miles with wrong set of tires in the front and back, it should be fine. Honestly, I lost faith in the dealership after this careless mistake.
Old 07-18-08, 12:09 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I always get a kick out of seeing people driving down the street with the wider wheel in the front. The w208 CLK430 AMG had staggered 17's and it was very popular model for MB. I can not even count how many of those cars I have seen with the wheels on the wrong axle.

If the car was only driven breifly at moderate speeds you should be ok.
Old 07-18-08, 12:11 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Many IS350 owners have reported this "incident" in the past. I don't think anything catastrophic is going to happen if it was driven only a couple of miles. More importantly, find a more competent dealer or at least another service technician next time.
Old 07-18-08, 12:51 PM
shadow191
Pole Position

Yeah, my dealership tried to rotate the tires my IS350 as well. I scheduled a 10k service and when I took it in, they gave me the list of services to be performed and I saw tire rotation as one. I told them the car had staggered wheels and they said, well the service list says it's required. After a little back and forth, they realized that they had pulled the wrong service schedule.

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
Many IS350 owners have reported this "incident" in the past. I don't think anything catastrophic is going to happen if it was driven only a couple of miles. More importantly, find a more competent dealer or at least another service technician next time.
Old 07-18-08, 01:05 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no there is nothing wrong with your differential from rotating the tires, dont worry.
Old 07-18-08, 01:10 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

rofl....are they blind?
Old 07-18-08, 02:25 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
no there is nothing wrong with your differential from rotating the tires, dont worry.
Good to know. Any idea how long would it take to roast the diff with the wheels on backwards?
Old 07-18-08, 07:29 PM
is250omer
Rookie

figures...that's dealership for yah, they call mechanics technicans but alot of them don't pay to must to the details.

I never let them rotate your wheels b/c they use a impact wrench to remove & install lug nuts, for tuner lugs they usually over tighten your lugs...make sure they use a torque wrench at the right setting by hand only.
Old 07-18-08, 07:42 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Good to know. Any idea how long would it take to roast the diff with the wheels on backwards?

The diff can only be harmed if different diameter tires are on the same drive axle.
Old 07-18-08, 09:03 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
There have been a few reports that Lexus dealerships that have done that in the past. It doesn't exactly give anyone a lot of confidence in the dealership's abilities to work on our cars competently.
Old 07-18-08, 09:20 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

damn thats a very rookie mistake especially for a dealer tech.

Quick Reply: Rotated the wheels on my 350?!?