IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket Wheel Chips

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 07:12 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Wheel Chips

I got a new set of rims just a week ago and i have already picked up 2 chips on the outside rim of the lip.

I have 19s and wonder if the lower profile probably has a lot to do with it being lower to the ground that it is more likely to chip.

For those having 20s, that must be even worse off trying to avoid pot holes and chips.

Oh well, guess it was bound to happen sooner or later but still looks cooler than stock!

Anyone else have the same prob especaially on rims that have a wide lip?

Here is the lip on my rim before any chips. Thinking to get it sanded down but it may end up getting more chips in the future.

These have a clear coat so I don't want it to start oxidizing and dulling the finish of the rest of the lip.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Wheel Chips-dsc_1146.jpg  
Old 07-20-08, 12:42 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as you said, lower profile tires increase the chances of causing damage to your rims. why? the rim itself is lower to the ground and can scrape things easier. the rim itself is bigger with your 19" and that just means more surface area for something to chip. not to mention you have a nice offset where the lip sticks out. if for some reason a rock falls in there and spins around before coming back out, you'd notice it right away with all the scratches. it's just what happens when you buy rims.

if i were you, i'd see how it goes around your area for a bit longer and if no other scratches occur (since i assume u dont exactly know what caused it), then go refinish your damage rim. when it's refinished, you should clean your rims out and apply a tire finish/wax on it. they have special rim cleaners and protectant layers for it. basically it's the same as waxing your car. it adds an extra layer of protection. not against rocks but pebbles and such, it will.
Old 07-20-08, 05:26 PM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thx kuugi.

where i am getting the chip is on the very outer rim, which tells me that it is probably a pothole or sharp dip that is causing it to bottom out and make contact to the rim and street.

can't help this i guess, but maybe keeping the air pressure higher to somewhat provide more cushion might help.

could be my rims are not as strong as other aftermarket also. for those with a steel lip (possible?) then that would be stonger than my aluminum alloys.
Old 07-20-08, 07:06 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nicks, dents, and chips are just part of the low profile tire, larger diameter rim game. It's worth it in my opinion!
Old 07-20-08, 08:01 PM
ISFTW
Driver

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
Nicks, dents, and chips are just part of the low profile tire, larger diameter rim game. It's worth it in my opinion!
My thoughts exactly, you gotta pay to play...
Old 07-20-08, 08:24 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

if it is from a pothole and such, it wouldn't matter how strong your lip is, it's going to scratch/dent nonetheless. your only option is to 1) inflate higher which could be dangerous if you inflate too much or 2) get thicker tires which you can't go too much thicker. it's your call. but in reality you should just leave it and hope there isn't going to be anymore. and of course start dodging those potholes
Old 07-20-08, 08:28 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kuuqi
and of course start dodging those potholes
like everything in life theres a 'balance', looks vs functionality, speed vs mpg, buff and fit going to the gym all the time vs soft n flabby posting on internet forums all the time