IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear ended someone... NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08 | 07:23 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Default Rear ended someone... NEED HELP!!!

I rear ended a pick up truck today and ruined my entire front bumper, headlights, and hood. Now the Hood is stuck and wont open at all. I claimed the accident and will bring it to Lexus dealership to take care of it.

My question is I have JOE-Z intake and aftermarket HID's installed under the hood, will lexus throw those away or will they record it and void any warranties for the future? I also have a front GFX lip installed, what will they do with it?

Please help!

Thanks
Old 07-20-08 | 08:18 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

um, okay. your dealer technically can't void your warranty as it didn't cause any problems. unless they can find a problem caused by it, nothing is voided. the dealer and your insurance will replace all parts that are damaged unless you didn't tell your dealer that you had an HID kit. in that case, they might not replace the kit but instead replace with an OEM bulb (which you can just get a new kit afterward).

the dealer will fix everything back the way it was. just show them you have a gfx kit so that they tell the insurance and replace it with a new lip (provided it's damaged). if the lip is not damaged, they'll reuse the lip on the new bumper.
Old 07-20-08 | 08:30 PM
sinister2c
Racer

they will replace only what is damaged. They will most likely reuse your gfx lip since i doubt it got damaged during the accident. replacement headlight comes with bulbs so they will plug those in. best bet is remove anything you dont want them to touch or replace with stock items.
Old 07-20-08 | 08:33 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

if ur worried about the aftermarket parts, just take them off and put ur oem stock parts back in, save urself any worries. simple as that!
Old 07-20-08 | 08:33 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

ouch. that sucks
and no they w/ill not void your warranty unless problems are caused by aftermarket parts.
Old 07-20-08 | 11:07 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

His hood is stuck closed
Old 07-21-08 | 12:11 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
His hood is stuck closed
That's gonna make it a little hard to follow all the good advice from everyone. Is there any way to pry it open, without making it look like it was pried open??
Old 07-21-08 | 05:14 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

eh he wouldn't need to. he's only got a pipe and an HID kit. it wouldn't void his warranty with either parts since neither of them will cause problems. even if by some luck that it would (which it wont but if it did!) with the hood clamps not working, probably only the technician will see it and they wouldn't even care, let alone tell the dealer that they found the parts.
Old 07-22-08 | 01:17 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Hey thanks for all your replies,

Originally Posted by Turbo_gg
That's gonna make it a little hard to follow all the good advice from everyone. Is there any way to pry it open, without making it look like it was pried open??
I can't even pry it open because somehow the grill jammed the hood so tight that it wouldn't even budge... The hood release went inwards that i couldn't even feel or see it...

Yea so i brought it to the insurance claim center and they estimated that it'll cost about $4500 only for the exterior section. He said he can't open the hood because once it opens he can't close it which means i can't drive it. So its most likely to be a $6000-$7000 damage in total...

I think when I bring it in to lexus i'll just tell them to take off the GFX lip and see if there willing to install it back on for me. Luckily my HID kits and stuff are all still good so maybe they can just plug it back in for me. Hopefully they wont give me some kind of stupid excuse to void stuff. I'll let you guys know how it goes..

By the way, just for you guys who are curious on what happened... This mom was driving a F150 pick up truck. She was merging onto another street while i was behind her at least 1.5 car away. There wasn't any cars at all coming by so i saw her gasing it to merge onto the other street, while when i was looking if there was any cars for me, she suddenly slammed on her brakes and yea.. I jumped out screaming why the hell did she brake and she replied saying "I was scared..." When there wasn't even any cars coming... Oh well...

Last edited by J250; 07-22-08 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-22-08 | 08:05 AM
Mr.JPG
Pole Position

7000 damage ouch. Who did the GFX installation for you. I can help you out with the front lip installation if the dealer not willing to do it for you.
Old 07-22-08 | 08:59 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Sorry this happened to you. I bet the truck has little damage compared to your car. I hope you're alright. Hang in there, your car will hopefully be fixed as good as new.
Old 07-22-08 | 03:23 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

You don't need to worry about your warranty. they will not void your warranty unless you're claiming there were defective parts involved. i've brought my car to the dealership for numerous recalls, tsbs, oil changes, minor services and not once did they mention any of the mods. I would say in your case, don't expect to get your car back with hids. any damaged aftermarket part will probably be replaced with oem. if you're lucky, you'll get some oem hids back. keep your fingers crossed. as far as the gfx lip, take it off yourself and keep it in your garage. trust no dealership! you don't want to take the chance of them throwing your entire front end away lip and all and replacing it with a lipless bumper.
get that hood opened and examine the damage. if your intake is still intact, replace it with the oem airbox. you don't want them throwing that away either. check your hid balast too and take those out if you can. you can probably rewire those back in later. good luck