IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Leaded or Unleaded??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 09:26 AM
350forMe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ yeah that makes sense, in the article i posted above, it shows the USA barely phased out leaded gasoline in 1996, so it seems mexico and other countries would follow.
Old 07-23-08, 10:43 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 350forMe
^^^ yeah that makes sense, in the article i posted above, it shows the USA barely phased out leaded gasoline in 1996, so it seems mexico and other countries would follow.
I have to disagree on that point. Leaded gas started disappearing from US gas stations in the early 80's, and was virtually impossible to find by 1985 (except for super-expensive race gas).
Old 07-23-08, 12:18 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into this issue a few years ago with my restored 1951 Pontiac that required leaded gas. Of course, it was no where to be found. All I did was pour in a quart of lead substitute available at any auto parts store, and added it every time I filled up as per the instructions. The car loved the stuff.
Old 07-23-08, 04:49 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think you need to be a little more clear exactly what your question is.

Is it possible? Yes.
Is it advisable? No.

A number of folks have told you that your will ruin your catalytic converters using leaded gasoline. This is because if fuel with lead content is burnt there will be a residue of lead which can damage the catalytic converter.

The inverse is something you may be thinking of - old cars that are meant to run leaded fuel have softer engine components and need to be rebuilt with sodium lined valves and hardened components and they have problems running unleaded. They run, but will wear down quickly.

You should really try google, not a lot of people here on CL are going to have direct experience with leaded gas usage in Yemen. You can learn there may also be side effects you would not consider otherwise.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/gen99615.htm

Another item which may / may not be an issue. In the 'old days' when US was switching to and selling both leaded and unleaded, the pump nozzle was different sized on unleaded pumps and the leaded nozzle would not fit in the gas intake of an unleaded car.
Dave, How about using Unleaded octane 83? will it be drivable? because they dont have octane 87 or 91
Old 07-23-08, 04:52 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No leaded gasoline. Your oxygen sensors will die and your engine will either run very poorly or not at all. Service life on an O2 sensor with leaded fuel is 50 hours. With unleaded fuel it is 1500+ hours.

I've also seen issues with valve seats designed and manufactured for unleaded fuel getting a build up in street service.

I wouldn't do it.

If your octane in Yemen is rated by motor, 83 might be OK, but most likely will be a little short. Europe uses research (as does Japan) so the numbers are bigger.

The way octane is measured is the same around the world. The way gasoline is marketed is different, so different countries have different numbers for what is mostly the same thing. For the most part, premium is premium no matter what the number at the pump says, but in some places there is a lack of control so you may get something decent and you may not. Check with the Yemeni laws on selling motor fuel to get a better idea of what to expect.
whats the other way to rate the octane other than by motor?
Old 07-23-08, 04:59 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Even if the octane of Yemeni premium is sufficient, I believe he'll still be in trouble. From what I've read, the Middle East doesn't have the low-sulfur fuels required by Toyota's direct injection engines. That's why they sell the IS300, which has conventional port injection, in that region.
how come they sell the ES350 as well as the GS300,GS450 ??
Old 07-23-08, 06:29 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGhost
whats the other way to rate the octane other than by motor?
Research octane, known as RON. In the US, our octane rating is an average of the research octane (RON) and the motor octane (MON).

Originally Posted by BlackGhost
how come they sell the ES350 as well as the GS300,GS450 ??
Good question; I have no direct knowledge of fuel quality in the Middle East, in this instance I'm just parroting back what I've read on this and other Lexus forums.

Last edited by Bichon; 07-23-08 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 09:01 AM
Sooner350
Driver School Candidate

BlackGhost, you have asked the same question over and over again. Yes you can use unleaded 83 octance, but your car will run like crap. Your knock sensor is going advance distributor timing and you are going to lose power.

Also, why would you want to go to the hassle of putting your car on a ship and wait for it to get to Yemen? It sounds to me like it is more trouble than it's worth, especially if you can buy another luxury car when you get there.

On the topic of leaded 100+ octane, my buddy used to buy 105 from a local airstrip before we would go to the drag strip. He has a SRT-4 stage 2 injectors, wastegate, piggyback, intercooler, 3-inch dump, no cats, intake. It's a quick car. We're neck and neck from a stop through third gear then he pulls away. He can't hook up wit 235's on the front, but from a roll I don't even have a chance.

Last edited by Sooner350; 07-24-08 at 09:06 AM.