IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

RANT: See you... in September!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 04:32 PM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANT: See you... in September!

The purpose of this post is to express my frustration with my dealership, and to get a second opinion from you as to whether I'm just too impatient or whether they aren't doing their best to please a new customer.

I walked in on April 30, that's 3 months ago, to order my car, a 2008 IS250 Starfire Pearl 6MT Sport Package. The salesperson said no problem, we can order that car for you for mid-July (now), just in time for summer!

I was excited. I didn't mind waiting 3 months for this type of car, my first Lexus and all. Other dealerships told me the earliest they can have it for me will be August. So I took his word for it, and signed the papers. He also told me to expect a drop in the interest rate by this time. Sweet. He also told me he will update me by email whenever he has news for me (VIN, interest rate changes, minor details etc.)

After 2 months (June), I never heard from him. So I decided to drop in for a visit. I saw him and asked, "Any updates on my car?" He looked at me like he had already forgotten who I was, and asked me "Which car am I ordering again?" I reminded him, "The white IS250 manual." He covered up his embarrassment by saying, "Oh yeah, that's right, I checked the other day for you and Japan says there will be a little bit of a delay, your car should arrive in mid-August." At that time, I was calm, since to me a month more delay is expected or tolerable. So again, I asked him to email me with any updates.

It is now end of July, and still no word or emails, so I paid him a visit once more, and also to inquire on F-Sport Accessories as well. This time though, I knew I was being played all along. He showed me his computer screen and says, your car is next on the schedule to get VIN'ed, but it won't be here until September. I looked back at him with disappointment, and reminded him, "Back in April, you told me I will have my car in time for summer, so I went with you. Now you are telling me September. Am I missing something here?" He immediately blamed Lexus Japan for the delay, but apologized in an unsincere way. I then lead that conversation in to the F-Sport Accessories (At the time of signing, he promised to sell me any accessory I wanted at cost, because we knew somebody in the human resources dept in his dealership). I asked, "So I want to get the F-Sport Quick shifter and Exhaust. Can you price it out for me based on our original agreement?" He responded, "Oh, those are extremely hard to find, and there's only a small mark up on those, so you would probably pay pretty close to retail."

At that moment, I lost all trust in him. He wasn't gonna budge for those Accessories, and that I wasn't even an important client to him, just some easy walk-in, third-rate customer.

Now all I can do is to just wait for my car, and to have little or none to do with this guy going forward. He is obviously not going to take me seriously. What I'm mostly afraid of is that my car will arrive at the same time as the 2009 IS250's! That would surely suck.

He should have warned me that it will take that long, so you might as well go for an 09 instead.

What do you guys think? Am I overreacting? Is this normal? OR am I expecting too much from the stealership?

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant.
Old 07-21-08, 04:36 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I would be mad too. You might as well get an 09.

Last edited by Little E; 07-21-08 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 04:36 PM
Mr.JPG
Pole Position

you are not overreact. Sept is too late for a 08 model. I would go for the 09 model instead.
Old 07-21-08, 04:49 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Why wait for a used car, because it will be like a one year old used car when the 09 come out. Just wait for the 09.
Old 07-21-08, 04:53 PM
Pair0Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I would talk to a sales manager or look elsewhere. I avoid one Lexus dealership all together because I was ignored and overlooked. I have since purchased 3 - all new - from other dealers.
Old 07-21-08, 05:25 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll get an '09 anyway. Too late for an '08. I'd be suspicious if this car has actually been ordered, though. You can do a search but BucBaby had a horrible experience last year when she was jerked around by a dealer who said they had ordered the car but all they were doing was combing the system so if one like she wanted popped up she would get it. One never did so they strung her along for over six months (IIRC). You need to make sure this car is actually a special order. Talk to the Owner or Sales manager.
Old 07-21-08, 05:36 PM
steedis250
Driver School Candidate

Which dealer was this?
Old 07-21-08, 05:40 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't got your 08 yet, more than likely, you'll be getting and 09. Same thing happened to me. I ordered an 06 but was delivered an 07. It came exactly as I had ordered it. No complaints from me. Took 4 1/2 months.
Old 07-21-08, 05:43 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Did u put down a deposit? if not, I'd go somewhere else or wait for an '09. Worst case, see if u can get ur car for less due to this long wait...
Old 07-21-08, 05:44 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

if i were you, i would speak to the manager and give a bad rep for your sales associate. he obviously doesnt care enough about his job to remember things such as names and previous deals made so why should he continue to be employed there?

my original sales associate knew me on a first name basis ever since i started car shopping at lexus. its unfortunate that he left lexus and went to bmw between my order, but i talked to an available associate when i called jsut to check up on it, and hes been on top of his game....sending me e-mails and calling me on updates at least once a week. i've never me the guy, just talked to him on phone. i would get a new sales associate if i were you.
Old 07-21-08, 06:57 PM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steedis250
Which dealer was this?
The infamous Don Valley North Lexus.

The more of you say go for the 09, the more this is all making sense. I know the car is being ordered for sure, but I'm sure they screwed me on purpose because an 08 will be worth at least $2000 less than an 09.

I'm heading over to the stealership tomorrow morning to talk to the sales manager.
Old 07-21-08, 07:58 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by is250077
The infamous Don Valley North Lexus.

The more of you say go for the 09, the more this is all making sense. I know the car is being ordered for sure, but I'm sure they screwed me on purpose because an 08 will be worth at least $2000 less than an 09.

I'm heading over to the stealership tomorrow morning to talk to the sales manager.
you should threaten them saying you wont buy the car and go somewhere else, like BMW! haha that'll make them nervous and be on top of your car like no tomorrow. and plus, you might walk out with a few extra goodies.
Old 07-21-08, 09:19 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

You are wayyyyyy to patient my friend......You can tell from the git go this guy is full of ****. Go to another dealership and try to workout a deal for another IS if price is an issue then go ahead and wait for early September to get an 08 but if it isn't then wait for the 09 IS.
Old 07-21-08, 09:40 PM
yamkoo1002
Driver

Question, did you put any money down? If you did, get your money back, they are just screwing with you. I had the same problem before also at another dealership as well. So i b***hed at salesman and the sales manager to get my money back!! Take you business elsewhere.

Last edited by yamkoo1002; 07-21-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 09:56 PM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a better deal. Get a broker to get a brand new car for you from the states. I've been ignored a couple of times just because I don't look 29. I'm used to it. I just bite the bullet and go in for a test drive and then buy my car through a broker. With the Canadian dollar on par and crappy stealership why should you put up with it? Do the math and you will find that it's still a good $8-10k cheaper even with the adjusted pricing.

Quick Reply: RANT: See you... in September!