IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

08 RV mirror, brake dust problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 09:42 AM
DrGP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 RV mirror, brake dust problem

I know that there was a TSB for the 07 interior RV mirror vibration and excessive brake dust. Took my 08 in for 1K check up and was told that there is no alternative part to install to fix the problem . Told the same thing applied to the excessive brake dust. They told me that all they would be doing is changing parts with the same part. Not sure if they are blowing smoke up my skirt or not. I did call Lexus customer relations and filed a complaint. BTW, my car has 1200 miles on it. Also noticed that the mirror vibration is MUCH worse with the moon roof open.
Old 07-23-08, 09:51 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

There are TSB for both.

Rear View Mirror TSB for 07 Models

And the Brake Dust Pad TSB

I stink at using the search tool....it hates me...but it's somewhere on this forums LOL....
Old 07-23-08, 10:03 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

these should work on the 08 IS model also ....

http://www.lexustsb.com/content/8/48...ust-issue.html

http://www.lexustsb.com/content/8/45...vibration.html
Old 07-23-08, 10:10 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E I think that only applies to the 06-07. they havent come out with tsib for the 08.

Dr you can try taking those in to see if they will apply those but some dealers will refuse because it was for 06-07. Be really nice and smile!
Old 07-23-08, 12:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as the mirror goes, I think the tech is right. The older TSIB only applied up to certain VIN's, meaning that VIN's after that number had the problem fixed at the factory.

I think the brake dust is bunk though--still plenty of dust on '08s, from what CL'ers have to say.
Old 07-23-08, 01:25 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There is still plenty of dust.

Keep in mind what the TSIB is.

It's an -alternative- pad, not a replacement pad.

The stock normal OEM pad is still the high dust one, and is still coming on new 08s from the factory.

The breakdown is that they haven't added 08s to the TSIB, so we don't have the option of the free swap to the low-dust pads like the 06-07 guys do.

Some dealers do it anyway on 08s as a courtesy, but they're not required to, and many do not do it.
Old 07-23-08, 01:53 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I think i have an idea why there might be so much brake dust. I took the wheels off to figure out why i have a weird vibration sound when i drive down the road.

When i took off the wheels i noticed there is a vent in the fender well that directs air into the brake area. I am wondering if that is what cause so much dust to come out because they are being cooled as we brake.
Old 07-23-08, 03:16 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ ALOT of cars have that vent.. i've changed my pads back to regular pads from the tsb pads.. and idk why but i've been trying to black my rims out with dust and i didnt wash my rims for 3 weeks and my rims werent even black at all.. same as the rear practically. and YES i can tell they are NOT the TSB brake pads.. these new pads GRIP alott better.. if i were you i'd suck it up cause these brakes will save you.. coming from a person who had the TSB brakes done and they brake like crap when you really need em
Old 07-23-08, 05:16 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The breakdown is that they haven't added 08s to the TSIB, so we don't have the option of the free swap to the low-dust pads like the 06-07 guys do.

Some dealers do it anyway on 08s as a courtesy, but they're not required to, and many do not do it.
Originally Posted by M1sTa801
...coming from a person who had the TSB brakes done and they brake like crap when you really need em

Had mine done with no hassle, but others have not been as fortunate.

But when driving aggressively with the alternate pads, they don't have the same bite.

Suppose it's a trade-off for 90% less dust.
Old 07-23-08, 05:56 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In my view, the fact that Lexus has not deviated from the original spec brakes would indicate the people who designed the cars still think the more dusty pads is the best choice for the vehicle. Why do we think we know better than the engineers? Use Wheel Wax and that will make cleaning super easy. It only takes a couple of minutes to wipe down the wheels. It's no biggie.
Old 07-23-08, 06:50 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

You should be able to get the TSB pads without an issue. Most people that got the mirror replaced said it didn't do anything. Try another dealer?

I only got the TSB pads - didn't notice much difference in braking, BIG difference in brake dust, but I only got them as a free replacement at 20K miles.
Old 07-23-08, 08:20 PM
DrGP
Driver

Thanks for all the input. I really think that it sucks that they would have a relacement pad only to continue to put on the same old dust producing pad sas OEM for 08. Also IMHO, a vibrating mirror is TOTALLY unacceptable in a Lexus. I wonder if the Camry has the same issue?
Old 07-24-08, 04:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slee18
I think i have an idea why there might be so much brake dust. I took the wheels off to figure out why i have a weird vibration sound when i drive down the road.

When i took off the wheels i noticed there is a vent in the fender well that directs air into the brake area. I am wondering if that is what cause so much dust to come out because they are being cooled as we brake.
The brake dust is normal on any European high end and/or performance car. Lexus just does a courtesy for its customers--but if it's trying to compete with BMW, they need to have high friction brakes standard

About That Dust . . .
The Power to Stop
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_dust_feature

The contact between the brake pads and rotors is analogous to rubbing sandpaper against wood: As a result, there’s dust. The dusty, black residue gathers on wheels, much to the annoyance of fastidious car owners. Brake dust has become a hot topic among carmakers since J.D. Power and Associates, the company that surveys car owners and publishes the influential Initial Quality Study (IQS), began asking whether cars produce excessive brake dust. A “yes” answer adds to the tally of problems audited in the IQS rating.

The amount of dust produced—and the likelihood that it will end up dirtying the wheels—depends on many variables, including the chemical composition of the brake pads, the particular alloy of the rotors, the airflow around the brakes, and even the wheel design itself.

The attributes that make a braking system resistant to fade are also typically the same characteristics that produce more dust on the wheels. For example, solid disklike wheels would keep dust from accumulating on the outside of the wheel, but those wheels would restrict airflow. Pads that retain their frictional characteristics when temperatures rise to more than 1000 degrees produce more dust during normal driving than pads that fade severely when hot.

Some companies—Porsche for one—feel the IQS survey unfairly penalizes manufacturers of high-performance brakes. Donatus Neudeck, Porsche’s development manager for brake systems, says: “Our cars can go from the street to the racetrack without hesitation. We could change the pad material to help the dust problem, but we would never do that. We may have more dust on the wheel, but we provide our customers with better braking performance.”

Until someone invents a magic pad that survives high temperatures but produces less dust, enthusiasts may have to rely on a simple solution: a garden hose and a brush—once the brakes have cooled down, of course.
Old 07-24-08, 05:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M1sTa801
^^^^ ALOT of cars have that vent.. i've changed my pads back to regular pads from the tsb pads.. and idk why but i've been trying to black my rims out with dust and i didnt wash my rims for 3 weeks and my rims werent even black at all.. same as the rear practically. and YES i can tell they are NOT the TSB brake pads.. these new pads GRIP alott better.. if i were you i'd suck it up cause these brakes will save you.. coming from a person who had the TSB brakes done and they brake like crap when you really need em
The new pads will stop the car in -exactly- the same distance as the old pads in a panic stop.

It's physically impossible for them not to.

Brake pads, assuming they can both engage the ABS system, can not reduce braking distance.

The pads aren't what stops the car.

Different pads -can- exhibit different fade characteristics after being subject to -repeated- high speed stops in a short amount of time, but unless you're in a Bourne movie, or racing the car, this won't have much impact on you.

One CL member actually even measured it, and sure enough, the laws of physics haven't changed, and the braking distance was identical.
Old 07-24-08, 07:27 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Do the TSB apply to Canadains?

Quick Reply: 08 RV mirror, brake dust problem