IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can you place an order for an 09 TODAY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 04:06 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you place an order for an 09 TODAY?

Can you place an order for an 09 TODAY with firm specifications and a firm price?
Old 07-23-08, 04:40 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope. not yet
Old 07-23-08, 04:48 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

No you can't
Old 07-23-08, 05:07 PM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's too early. Don't you want to find out what (if any changes to the car) before you order?
Old 07-23-08, 05:33 PM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ister
It's too early. Don't you want to find out what (if any changes to the car) before you order?

Patience is a virtue.
Old 07-23-08, 06:35 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Nope, I'm waiting on a call to see what the changes are going to be before I place my order.
Old 07-23-08, 07:05 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too im hoping the new bumper grille and wheels looks good if they dont im buying a left over 08.
Old 07-24-08, 05:10 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Yes you can order a 2009 now. The changes from year to year within a model generation are insignificant and generally don't offer any real upgrades. This is on the IS anyway. The 2008 IS is not much different than the 2006, and the 2009 probably won't be much different than the 2008 if history is any indicator. I special ordered my 2008 IS in early June of last year for delivery in the first shipment of 2008s (and the last of the 2007s) in mid-September. You just have to find the right dealer, and one that handles special orders regularly. Not all dealerships know how, or can do special orders because of their small allocations.
Old 07-24-08, 05:26 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I hear you will be able to place a special order next month.
Probably a bit later because of bumper,grille,wheel and signal mirror IS model refresh.
Old 07-24-08, 06:50 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanon
Yes you can order a 2009 now. The changes from year to year within a model generation are insignificant and generally don't offer any real upgrades. This is on the IS anyway. The 2008 IS is not much different than the 2006, and the 2009 probably won't be much different than the 2008 if history is any indicator. I special ordered my 2008 IS in early June of last year for delivery in the first shipment of 2008s (and the last of the 2007s) in mid-September. You just have to find the right dealer, and one that handles special orders regularly. Not all dealerships know how, or can do special orders because of their small allocations.
There's a few significant differences from 06 to 08...among them the XM sharkfin, the button that actually disables TC/VSC, the seatback change for a bit more legroom, the addition (in 07) of the X package option, the changed steering feel, and a couple color changes along the way in addition to the more minor cosmetic ones like the illum. scuff color change or the liquid graphite wheels for 08.

08->09 will be the mid-cycle refresh, so turn signals in the side mirrors, new grill and bumpers, credit card smartkeys, and almost certainly at least a couple of color changes among other things. It will, visually, be a change in the car, and I sure wouldn't order one without seeing the changes first.

Certainly some dealers will be happy to take your money as a deposit, but the original poster asked if you can order today with firm specs and price, the answer to that is no, you can't. (as backed up by several folks who've been into dealerships in recent weeks to ask just that) because Lexus hasn't officially announced either (though dealers should have the general "change" sheets by now)
Old 07-25-08, 02:17 AM
SwooshICE
Rookie

the dealership i talked to promised he can deal for an 09 at 08 price right now
Old 07-25-08, 01:18 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

problem with dealing an 09 with 08 pricing is they don't know the individual costs of options and packages. the pricing will be off (though usually only by a few hundred). so if they allow you to get the 08 pricing, they might use it as a baseline and jack up the MSRP and won't go much lower than guaranteed profit. or the packaging you request requires special order and they ask for more money or you wait longer for the car. or the manager might turn down the deal. things can happen. until it's officially ready, i wouldn't risk going for the deal.
Old 07-25-08, 06:47 PM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's a few significant differences from 06 to 08...among them the XM sharkfin, the button that actually disables TC/VSC, the seatback change for a bit more legroom, the addition (in 07) of the X package option, the changed steering feel, and a couple color changes along the way in addition to the more minor cosmetic ones like the illum. scuff color change or the liquid graphite wheels for 08.

08->09 will be the mid-cycle refresh, so turn signals in the side mirrors, new grill and bumpers, credit card smartkeys, and almost certainly at least a couple of color changes among other things. It will, visually, be a change in the car, and I sure wouldn't order one without seeing the changes first.

Certainly some dealers will be happy to take your money as a deposit, but the original poster asked if you can order today with firm specs and price, the answer to that is no, you can't. (as backed up by several folks who've been into dealerships in recent weeks to ask just that) because Lexus hasn't officially announced either (though dealers should have the general "change" sheets by now)
It depends on your definition of significant changes. I was thinking more along the lines of different look and engine updates as being significant, neither of which have occurred since the 2006 re-design. Also, JM Lexus who I dealt with last year seems to be ahead of the curve on special orders, and they were able to tell me about the new model year features, prices, colors, etc. in June, so I'd assume they could do the same this year. The local dealer here who I can't recommend was willing to do the special order for the next model year as early as late May. When I went in for a new IS initially it was mid-May and they were already telling people to wait for the new model year. I think it just depends on who you deal with, but realistically what happens is they can take your order but the new model year for the IS doesn't start getting built until the August production cycle (meaning they hold onto your order until after about June 20 when the last '08 orders are submitted). That means those that ordered an '09 likely have seen their orders filled and in production for shipment in about 3 weeks for delivery in mid-September on the East Coast, maybe a week or two earlier on the West Coast.
Old 07-26-08, 02:24 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by Keppie
Can you place an order for an 09 TODAY with firm specifications and a firm price?
Yes you can but why would you want to?

There will be an abundance of them and may I suggest you wait until "December to Remember" sales event. It starts right after Thanksgiving.
Old 08-12-08, 03:17 PM
Kintoun
Driver School Candidate

Got off phone with Tustin dealer and he said "I'll be candid with you. Nothing below sticker price for the first few months." Is this true? I'm dying to replace my old car, but I don't want to pay out the *** when the new models hit. How much do you think the price would come down by the "December to Remember" event?

Quick Reply: Can you place an order for an 09 TODAY?