IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulled over for tint...might even be factory!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 08:16 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its prob 35, 40 % thats how my 35% looks like on a sunny day in cali with light comming in from the moonroof..

theres no point to fight it, its the law u will loose hands down unless you have a prescription for tint either from a optometrist or dermatologist for skin or eye sensitivity.(I was told)

Last edited by iialcii; 07-23-08 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 09:00 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
looking at the photo, looks like you have 60-70% tint (almost clear)That is way to light to be 50%

I think you should just pay the fix it and leave the current tint because it looks fine. I think the cop was nit picking when he pulled you over..
60-70%??
70% is FACTORY.

That is most likely a 35% tint, though it varies depending on the manufacturer.

In NYC, you get pulled over for any front window tints just like that pretty frequently. That's why I haven't tinted my car. Peace of mind
Old 07-23-08, 09:06 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ELL Y
60-70%??
70% is FACTORY.

That is most likely a 35% tint, though it varies depending on the manufacturer.

In NYC, you get pulled over for any front window tints just like that pretty frequently. That's why I haven't tinted my car. Peace of mind
To me it looks much lighter then 35% so i went with what i thought....

heres a photo of 70% (front sides)

this is 50% huper optic on the front two sides:
Old 07-24-08, 01:25 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its illegal to have any film of tint on the front 2 windows in cali...
Old 07-24-08, 01:33 AM
Monkey250
Driver School Candidate

If you do take off the tint, go to the CHP to get it signed off. That way you can save yourself whatever the courts may charge. Usually $15 to have an officer come out to sign it off.

If you're really gangster, switch your plates with a stock car and take it to the CHP to have it signed. =)
Old 07-24-08, 01:46 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mitchsti
i have 20% on front and 5% on rear got pulled over and was given a fixit ticket for no front plate , not a word said about tint it just depends on the officer that pulls you over. if you know someone you can get it signed off without removing the tint. when you pat it off it will cost like 250 or 300 and you dont have to remove the tint
I seldom get pulled over, but as soon as I see those flashing lights behind me, I immediately roll down both front windows.
Old 07-24-08, 02:51 AM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

I got pulled over for tint too.. IT really sucks that you're obeying all traffic rules and all of sudden a cop pulls you over for something trivial like TINT! Anyways, my friend and I removed the tint ourselves and took the car to the court and had an officer sign it off. After that I paid the 10 dollar fine and went to the tint shop to have the front windows re-tinted. But this time, I got a lighter shade from 20 to 35.
Old 07-24-08, 03:36 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

*yawn*... dont know what the 'big problem' is... go darker and frak um, you gotta pay to play sometimes so just man up and RUNUMHARD

oh one more thing

Last edited by llamaboiz; 07-24-08 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 05:21 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

it seems like they are communists over there in cali. pretty soon they are gonna tell you that you can only drive in reverse on wednesdays after 12am.

id get a 2nd opinion before before you paid to get your tint re-done. because if your tint is to reflective than your car should be re-painted as well because its hellya clean an shiny. Also the chrome should all be removed because thats definately to reflective.
Old 07-24-08, 11:25 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

If you have a law enforcement friend within the same county you live in they can sign off on the ticket. CalHP can do the same.

I have used super clean from castrol to take bad tints off. Use it in the shade and it starts to bubble up and you can peal it off. Wipe it off ASAP if you get it on the interior.

Looks to me like a 50% tint. If you get the back windows darker they make the tint from the front appear lighter.
Old 07-24-08, 11:32 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

you can take the tints off your self all you need is a razor blade and some soap water. Take the razor and look at the tip of the window where you should see the tint film. spray some soap water there and put the razor between tint and window. Take the tint out, afterwards your innner window will be crazy sticy with use the soap water to clean that. i used the same razor to clean the glue. should take you 10 mins max for each window. i got the same ticket 3 times now i have a medical note!
Old 07-24-08, 11:34 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UZ214
i got the same ticket 3 times now i have a medical note!
Too bad we in cali cant do that. There is an amendment to that loop hole for that in cali. They say put on sun screen if you had a problem with your skin . Put on sun glasses if you have a problem with your eyes .
Old 07-24-08, 11:38 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Fluxx.

I can't believe people roll over for this kind of tyranny. I mean stand up for yourselves. Why do you insist on letting yourselves be treated like slaves. Pay your taxes and shut up I guess is the mentality. Cops are supposed to serve the public, not harrass them, That is BS. Your tint is hardly noticable, that is ridiculous.
Notice how 30-40 years ago cops were called "Peace Officers" now they call them "Police". Kinda strange how they keep bullying us more and more.

Last edited by sincityIS; 07-24-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 11:39 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Are you sh!%ing me? Your windows aren't even dark. Must have been the "**** Tint Cop" that pulled you over. Quotas must have been stiff this month.
Old 07-24-08, 02:19 PM
Robbyh
Driver School Candidate

CVC:
26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows

There are exceptions, but for windows behind the driver and the rear winshield if you have outside mirros on both sides.

Funny part is I have 35% all around and will be starting the academy next month, so I wonder how long till one of my RTO's leaves a ticket on my car..

Quick Reply: Pulled over for tint...might even be factory!