IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulled over for tint...might even be factory!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 09:37 AM
holYcOO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blame your CA gangstas for your dark tints lol...
Old 12-16-08, 10:28 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meefer
I bet if you just got it signed off by another officer and said "i got it retinted," he would sign you out no problem. That tint doesn't seem excessive at all to me.
No such luck unless it is clear uv blocking only..in CA..no front window tint is allowed. Here is a post from CA highwaypatrol website
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:
  1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
  2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.
However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced
Old 12-16-08, 11:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meefer
I bet if you just got it signed off by another officer and said "i got it retinted," he would sign you out no problem. That tint doesn't seem excessive at all to me.
Good idea, if you have any cop friends.
Old 12-16-08, 11:06 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Tint laws are enforced inconsistently around here. Pay the $125 and forget about it or have cop that's a friend sign off. The cost to remove and reapply lighter tint is about the same ($25+$90).

I've used 35% tint on my 2 front windows for 6 years, no problem.
Old 12-17-08, 10:43 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

If you can prove that is 70% or lighter it is not illegal in the state of California. But you have to prove... There is a post around here that takes you a website with all the states info on tint and 70% is the limit for the front windows in the state of California.
Old 12-17-08, 12:12 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here in the great state of Texas it is customary to put a small, clear rectangular label which has the tint firms name and the percent tint in the lower right corner of the drivers window, under the tint. This way if you are ever pulled over you can show the police that it is a legal tint. Of course things can be falsified, but most tint shops don't want to be putting their name on an illegal install. Surprised this isn't used in other places.
Old 12-17-08, 12:18 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Here in the great state of Texas it is customary to put a small, clear rectangular label which has the tint firms name and the percent tint in the lower right corner of the drivers window, under the tint. This way if you are ever pulled over you can show the police that it is a legal tint. Of course things can be falsified, but most tint shops don't want to be putting their name on an illegal install. Surprised this isn't used in other places.
Interesting practice, not seen in California. Is 35% tint legal on front side windows in Texas?
Old 12-17-08, 12:24 PM
sandwiches
Driver

I would love to do this, problem is-- if you pay off the ticket and get pulled over again, it will be seen as a second offense.

Is illegal tint a moving violation now, too? Meaning POINTS?

Kevin

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Tint laws are enforced inconsistently around here. Pay the $125 and forget about it or have cop that's a friend sign off. The cost to remove and reapply lighter tint is about the same ($25+$90).

I've used 35% tint on my 2 front windows for 6 years, no problem.
Old 12-17-08, 12:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sandwiches
I
Is illegal tint a moving violation now, too? Meaning POINTS?

Kevin
Some shops will remove your front tints for $25.

Fix-it ticket is not a moving violation, therefore no points.
Old 12-17-08, 12:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tC_demon
If you can prove that is 70% or lighter it is not illegal in the state of California. But you have to prove... There is a post around here that takes you a website with all the states info on tint and 70% is the limit for the front windows in the state of California.
Most of the posters here (that live in California) are using at least 35% tint on all 5 windows, looks better and actually provides significant glare reduction in the car. Only foolproof way in California is using no aftermarket tint on 2 front windows, if you don't like running the risk of a $125 no points, non-moving violation fix-it ticket.
Old 12-17-08, 01:06 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting practice, not seen in California. Is 35% tint legal on front side windows in Texas?
All four side windows can be tinted to as low as 25%, and no restriction on the back window. Of course no tint on windshield.

Last edited by Evitzee; 12-17-08 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 01:26 PM
sandwiches
Driver

Thanks S,

Do you know if I pay the fine and don't remove the tint, then get pulled over again sometime in the future, will my record show that it's my 2nd violation and thus be an increased fine?

Kevin

Most of the posters here (that live in California) are using at least 35% tint on all 5 windows, looks better and actually provides significant glare reduction in the car. Only foolproof way in California is using no aftermarket tint on 2 front windows, if you don't like running the risk of a $125 no points, non-moving violation fix-it ticket.
Old 12-17-08, 02:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sandwiches
Thanks S,

Do you know if I pay the fine and don't remove the tint, then get pulled over again sometime in the future, will my record show that it's my 2nd violation and thus be an increased fine?

Kevin
Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that question. Personally (IMHO), I would take that chance if it was my car, but everybody has different thresholds for monetary pain.