IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership Service Situation Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 09:37 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask for a loaner since there is still a defect. Ask for the service manager if they refuse. If that doesnt work ask for the general manager and tell him what has happened so far. GM usually dont know what happened to you. Service manager dont like to involve GM if they dont have to.
Old 08-07-08, 03:17 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

So I called the dealership and the service manager wasn't there. Isntead, i spoke to the persont hat was in charge of my IS when I brought it in and I explained the situation to him. Now he is saying that I need to bring it in because since they "replaced" the part and it left the dealership without the bubble (just a remidner again, the bubble can be pushed down so that it isn't noticeable) so that him and his boss could look at itbecaus ehe doesn't want to order the wrong part.

I didn't blatantly say it wasn't replaced or anything but I don't know how he could not order the part. Other than that, I was hoping to get that travelling service but instead I have to go back to the dealership, leave my car for 30 minutes to an hour, waste another saturday, get picke dup and dropped off and then wit for the part to come in and bring the car back again. This is just ridiculous.
Old 08-07-08, 08:34 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfx45
Update:

So I called the dealership and the service manager wasn't there. Isntead, i spoke to the persont hat was in charge of my IS when I brought it in and I explained the situation to him. Now he is saying that I need to bring it in because since they "replaced" the part and it left the dealership without the bubble (just a remidner again, the bubble can be pushed down so that it isn't noticeable) so that him and his boss could look at itbecaus ehe doesn't want to order the wrong part.

I didn't blatantly say it wasn't replaced or anything but I don't know how he could not order the part. Other than that, I was hoping to get that travelling service but instead I have to go back to the dealership, leave my car for 30 minutes to an hour, waste another saturday, get picke dup and dropped off and then wit for the part to come in and bring the car back again. This is just ridiculous.
Ok this might sound bad but if you end up taking it back in to the dealer. Bring a sharpie marker with you. After talking with the service manager and everything is set for a replacement mark the liner with the sharpie. Then you will know 100% if they replace it.
Old 08-07-08, 08:53 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn dealerships!
Old 08-08-08, 07:03 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 19psi
in my experience as a dealer tech in several high end shops, warranty parts that are ordered for a car are never sent back. it's almost impossible to actually send them back to the factory. the dealer eats them if they aren't used on the car.
This is only partly true. Yes, parts rarely go back to the manufacturer. However, per Lexus's franchise agreement, the dealer MUST hold onto the defective part until Lexus gives the OK to scrap the part. If Lexus notifies the dealer that they need a particular part back for inspection, and the dealer can't provide the part, the dealer will eat the entire job, parts and labor.

It's a good idea to not wait 60-90 days before returning to the dealer to have the work done. Most dealers get special order parts in 1-2 days. If the part backorders, the wait cold be as long as 3-14 days. According to the OP, it took one month to get the part and another 1-2 months to get into the dealership. I'm not surprised at all that the dealer no longer had the part.

On another note, it was completely wrong for the dealer to lie to the OP about installing the new part. If the dealer did in fact submit a warranty claim to Lexus with a bill for the part, this dealer could be in serious trouble.
Old 08-08-08, 09:08 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KMRIS350
Ok this might sound bad but if you end up taking it back in to the dealer. Bring a sharpie marker with you. After talking with the service manager and everything is set for a replacement mark the liner with the sharpie. Then you will know 100% if they replace it.
I've actually thought about that when I got the first call saying their part was missing. I should ahve left a mark somewhere to make sure they do replace the part.

It's a good idea to not wait 60-90 days before returning to the dealer to have the work done. Most dealers get special order parts in 1-2 days. If the part backorders, the wait cold be as long as 3-14 days. According to the OP, it took one month to get the part and another 1-2 months to get into the dealership. I'm not surprised at all that the dealer no longer had the part.
I agree that it did took a little longer to bring in the car, just abd timing, but I did set an appointment to come in for the part two weeks after it arrived. I speciafically told them when I can come in and she guaranteed that the part will be there waiting.

To be honest, I think they want me to bring my car in to look for a problem so that when they do have to order the part again, then I guess they can just order some random part for warranty work to cover whatever they are charged for with the part they sent back or lost. I just don't really want to give them that chance and use my car as excuse for it. I mean the person from the dealership knows the problem and I highly doubt anything in the car is causing the bubble other than a defected pillar so he should be able to order it with no problem. It does not require another 30 minutes to an hour of inspection to check what was wrong with it. It sounds like a way for them to cover their mistake or cover something they tried to get away with.
Old 08-11-08, 07:09 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
This is only partly true. Yes, parts rarely go back to the manufacturer. However, per Lexus's franchise agreement, the dealer MUST hold onto the defective part until Lexus gives the OK to scrap the part. If Lexus notifies the dealer that they need a particular part back for inspection, and the dealer can't provide the part, the dealer will eat the entire job, parts and labor.

On another note, it was completely wrong for the dealer to lie to the OP about installing the new part. If the dealer did in fact submit a warranty claim to Lexus with a bill for the part, this dealer could be in serious trouble.
i think you're saying hte same thing i did in a different way. when i said parts don't go back, i mean new parts that they order but don't use.
anyway, not really the purpose of this thread to discuss.

to the OP, i bet the service writer checked for the part when you brought your car in, found out it wasn't there anymore, and so had someone temporarily push the bubble out of the trim, hoping it would hold. i bet a tech never even looked at the car. this time, a tech will have to look at it because the writer will have to follow the proper procedures this time to cover his *** since he tried to fake it the first time. of course, a tech can't order a part until he's verfied the problem.