Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 09:15 AM
AKIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Speed

I have a IS350
The car is great but I want more speed.
What mods can I do to give the car more speed and HP?
Old 07-30-08, 09:27 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

exactly...how much more speed and HP are you aiming for?! o.O
Old 07-30-08, 09:55 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Step harder on the gas?
Old 07-30-08, 09:59 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Nitrous, our cars love it for some reason!
Old 07-30-08, 10:22 AM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Replace with a V8 engine.
Old 07-30-08, 10:41 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ister
Replace with a V8 engine.
I agree and maybe they should call it an IS-F with about 416 hp and 8 speed transmission. If only they will make it...
Old 07-30-08, 10:56 AM
jazba
Rookie

do the basics... intake/exhaust and see if you like that
Old 07-30-08, 11:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may also want to lighten the car.

Get rid of excess weight. Start with the seats, remove stuff out of the trunk, and remove the engine and underbody panels.
Old 07-30-08, 11:29 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You may also want to lighten the car.

Get rid of excess weight. Start with the seats, remove stuff out of the trunk, and remove the engine and underbody panels.
AND~ go on a diet
Old 07-30-08, 11:44 AM
yamkoo1002
Driver

How about a full custom turbo kit?
Old 07-30-08, 11:46 AM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

TOM's supercharger
Old 07-30-08, 11:48 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

24-Hour Fitness membership from Costco. I got one so I can go faster =]
Old 07-30-08, 12:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a serious answer-

Do you want it to be -significantly- faster?

Then trade it in for an IS350.

Anything else folks suggest will be either:

Impossible
Much more expensive (usually for less power)
Less reliable

Now, if you just want it to be a little bit faster, the Mazuri headers would be my suggestion... probably can get away for around $1000-ish installed, and it'll put 25 more hp and 30 more torque on the car.

You can put a Joe Z intake pipe on for maybe 5 hp tops for $109. Other intakes will cost more and add either less power, more noise, or both.

You can drop $600+ on a tanabe exhaust and get maybe another 5 hp. You can do a -full- exhaust for 2 times that cost and bump that to maybe 8-10 hp.

That's about it for making it more powerful for any reasonable amount of cost or reliability.

You can try nitrous... one user has had success with a 50 and a 65 shot on his IS350... nobody has done it on a 250 though so who knows if it'll work as well, and if you do it wrong, bad things happen... (and of course it's not always-there power).

There are NO supercharger or turbo charger kits for the IS250.

There's a couple of superchargers for the IS350 (one of which is discontinued, the other is sold in Japan) and they run north of $5000-6000 bucks and on the 350 only add about 40 whp, it'd be less on a 250 assuming they even worked properly.

There are no turbo kits for any 2IS, and not likely to be give there's no control over the ECU and a 12:1 compression ratio, you could pay someone a fortune to make a custom setup, and you'll still make less power than just getting a 350 would give you for less money, even assuming it worked right for any length of time

Now, there's other things you can do to make your car -quicker- with the same power... weight reduction mainly... lightweight wheels and tires, take stuff out of the trunk, change your gearing a bit with tire sizing... but as with all things performance there's some compromises (lightweight wheels are very expensive for example, you can easily drop enough on wheels/tires to have just got the 350 instead).
Old 07-30-08, 12:04 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Good post, but did you notice that he said he has a 350?

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Here's a serious answer-

Do you want it to be -significantly- faster?

Then trade it in for an IS350.

Anything else folks suggest will be either:

Impossible
Much more expensive (usually for less power)
Less reliable

Now, if you just want it to be a little bit faster, the Mazuri headers would be my suggestion... probably can get away for around $1000-ish installed, and it'll put 25 more hp and 30 more torque on the car.

You can put a Joe Z intake pipe on for maybe 5 hp tops for $109. Other intakes will cost more and add either less power, more noise, or both.

You can drop $600+ on a tanabe exhaust and get maybe another 5 hp. You can do a -full- exhaust for 2 times that cost and bump that to maybe 8-10 hp.

That's about it for making it more powerful for any reasonable amount of cost or reliability.

You can try nitrous... one user has had success with a 50 and a 65 shot on his IS350... nobody has done it on a 250 though so who knows if it'll work as well, and if you do it wrong, bad things happen... (and of course it's not always-there power).

There are NO supercharger or turbo charger kits for the IS250.

There's a couple of superchargers for the IS350 (one of which is discontinued, the other is sold in Japan) and they run north of $5000-6000 bucks and on the 350 only add about 40 whp, it'd be less on a 250 assuming they even worked properly.

There are no turbo kits for any 2IS, and not likely to be give there's no control over the ECU and a 12:1 compression ratio, you could pay someone a fortune to make a custom setup, and you'll still make less power than just getting a 350 would give you for less money, even assuming it worked right for any length of time

Now, there's other things you can do to make your car -quicker- with the same power... weight reduction mainly... lightweight wheels and tires, take stuff out of the trunk, change your gearing a bit with tire sizing... but as with all things performance there's some compromises (lightweight wheels are very expensive for example, you can easily drop enough on wheels/tires to have just got the 350 instead).
Old 07-30-08, 12:58 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Good post, but did you notice that he said he has a 350?
*rotfl*

Nope. I'm so used to seeing "How do I make my 250 faster" questions I just gave that answer.

Ok, here's the 350 answer then-

Intake and exhaust- pretty much same as the 250... the Joe Z will give ya 5 hp or so for $109... an axle back like the tanabe can give you 5-7 for $600ish or about double that for 8-10 for a full exhaust.

The Mazzuri headers for the 350 are much more of a question mark, there have been some issues with them on a few cars, and some very weird dyno results from a few others, so I'd say the jury is still out on that.

Super/turbo answer is the same except that the supercharger kits -are- meant for the 350... they're just horrible bang/buck... if you can find an LMS kit someplace (they don't make them anymore) they sold for 5-6k and added about 40 whp... the TOMs kit requires a JDM car to work properly and might get you 50 whp for about $10,000. NO turbo kits, and not likely to be any. You can go custom, but cost will be very high and you won't be able to gain much for the same reason the supercharger kits can't.

Nitrous is an option... Jeremy on here has run a 50 and 65 shot on his IS350 without issue, and gotten some pretty nice dyno results (around 320 or 325 at the wheels I think)... it'll be a lot cheaper than the supercharger for results as good or better... but that power is only while the juice is running, so short bursts, and you have to keep refilling the bottle...and again if you do it wrong, it's very very bad.

My answers regarding making the car -quicker- still apply... weight reduction especially lightweight wheels/tires and empty trunk, change gearing a bit with tire size, etc.

Beyond that, you're looking at the IS-F, but of course the price jump is a LOT bigger than 250->350

Quick Reply: More Speed