IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sirius Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 09:00 PM
EVETS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so all i need is the sirius satellite radio fitting kit from sewell...
the sirius tuner from sewell...
and the Shark Fin Antenna Adapter from vaistech

do i need anything else??? also what tools do i need???
Old 08-01-08, 05:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
it is plug and play and you can wire it up to the XM antenna...just have to get another wire. No cutting or altering needs to be done to install. More work for sure to get this.

below I am pasting the product info that the OP is using for everyone to see:

The LEXSIR Sirius Satellite Radio interface package is a direct plug-n-play input, with the included SIRIUS Connect Tuner and another RCA Line level accessory onto many 2004-2008 Lexus vehicles that are satellite ready. One input allows you to connect a SIRIUS Connect Unit (INCLUDED) directly to your Satellite Ready factory radio. It will display artist information, Radio station name, and a song name on your Navigation screen or Radio LCD screen in some models.

The package allows you to receive digital SIRIUS Satellite Radio directly through the Toyota/Lexus OEM head unit. It seamlessly integrates Sirius Receiver module disconnected from DEI (Directed Electronics) SIRIUS Connect Tuner into the OEM audio system.

You can now control your Satellite Radio Receiver through the vehicle's head unit and audio steering wheel controls and enjoy your Satellite Radio outstanding sound quality in your car without Cassette Adapters, FM Transmitters or FM Modulators. This included adapter also has an uncontrolled Auxiliary input. SLS provides direct Plug-and-Play connection to '05-'08 Toyota/Lexus OEM audio system and supports vehicles whether they are equipped with Navigation System or not.

The second input is universal and will allow you to connect any RCA line level accessory including DVD players, MP3 players, or game systems audio directly to your existing factory stereo.

Perhaps "It's not plug n play with Lexus parts" would've been a better way to put it.

You need a 3rd party adapter to use the sharkfin.

And it still doesn't installed in the trunk easily like the XM unit, you have to take the dash apart, etc

I still say way way easier to just get the Lexus XM unit that plugs right in and goes nowhere near the dash, and in the fall will receive Sirius channels just as easily as XM ones.
Old 08-01-08, 05:51 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And it still doesn't installed in the trunk easily like the XM unit, you have to take the dash apart, etc

I still say way way easier to just get the Lexus XM unit that plugs right in and goes nowhere near the dash, and in the fall will receive Sirius channels just as easily as XM ones.
agree...the XM is 100 times easier to install. Took me about 15 min to install and less then that to remove since I knew where everything was.

Make life even easier and get a hand held unit and plug it into the AUX. I just got one for XM till i replace this car and it works great everywhere I have taken it and it sounds good plugged into the car. Then you dont have to install or remove anything but you do loose the controls through the stereo.
Old 08-01-08, 05:57 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EVETS
so all i need is the sirius satellite radio fitting kit from sewell...
the sirius tuner from sewell...
and the Shark Fin Antenna Adapter from vaistech

do i need anything else??? also what tools do i need???
Yes that is all you need.

tools:

Just basic tools IMO.

1. 10mm Rachet
2. Phillips Screwdriver
3. Flathead Screwdriver
4. Whatever size ratchet holds the passenger seat down
5. The door sills just pop out so no tools required for them.
6. only hard part is those fing vents above the stereo. see the navi hack thread I linked for you on that one. just take your time or have someone to help you.

**if there is enough wire I would run the box to the trunk or put it under the backseat cushion so you don't have to mount it and much less work and easier to just leave. follow the Sirius DIY thread and see what they have done and not done. Its preference from here if you have the extra wire as to where and how as it wont do anything so long you have the antenna wired up and all connections are good
Old 08-08-08, 05:59 PM
OH-MAN
Driver

Passed this shark fin adpt. info on to my friend at the dealership they removed the windshield ant. and installed the sharkfin adpt.
Works great and no more crappy looking box stuck to the windshield.

Thanks gentlemen for the adpt. tip.
The dealer wants to use it on their future installs.
Old 08-08-08, 08:55 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool, glad everything worked out. only bad thing i noticed about the sharkfin is.. when its super ultra bright out and the sun hits the fin just right the signal cuts out for a second. lol
Old 08-09-08, 04:58 AM
OH-MAN
Driver

Originally Posted by fluxx
cool, glad everything worked out. only bad thing i noticed about the sharkfin is.. when its super ultra bright out and the sun hits the fin just right the signal cuts out for a second. lol
Have not noticed that yet, hopefully it will work out well.
Old 08-09-08, 06:24 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fluxx
I had XM and never once had this issue? I wonder why that is?? Fluxx do you have Sirius or XM?
Old 08-09-08, 06:37 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sirius, my friend has xm and this has happened to him before as well. its not often that it happens. maybe its not even the sun that does it, but everytime that its occured its when its one of the brightest days ever. but who knows, lol.
Old 08-09-08, 06:49 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just in case any of you wanted to install the Sirius Satellite kit, here are the Lexus installation instructions.

If you do this yourself, be sure to take extra care when removing the center a/c register. One of the steps requires you to pry the register away from the dash - if you use the wrong tool, you'll be staring at some ugly gouge marks on the dash and you'll be shrouded in regret.

It's easy, just be careful doing it.

Darrel
Old 08-09-08, 08:17 PM
rsheppick
Rookie

Where is the best place to obtain the XM kit. I am a big fan of Sirius but in the fall it will all be the same.

Thanks!