IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trade for BMW 3 Series? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 07:54 PM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a used mini-van or get a used suv type vehicle and keep the IS350 and just fix the crap out of it or trade it in for an is-f. then you can drive it hard as you want. or just get an M5
Old 07-31-08, 08:52 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

there's going to be trade offs. with your kids growing up, i'd think it'd be a bad financial move (unless you can afford it, then doesnt matter). bmw's reliability isn't great and the cost to fix them after the warranty expires is ridiculous (my friend spent $3000 fixing his e46 325i over some exhaust issue). the 3 series IMO will not be as comfortable as the IS. with your kids growing, they'll need more space then a 3 series anyway. the ride is a harsher and going along the drive, they'll feel the bumps and the gain in space isn't worth it, but everyone is different. plus the money you lose in the trade isn't worth it either. and even if you get a great deal, the risk of having problems with BMW will cost quite a bit.

Given that it's a 4 year warranty, I'll say problems will act up around 6 years afterwards (which is around the time my friend's e46 started acting up). around 6 years from now, your kids will be 17-18 and 14-15. you'll have a car that needs fixing and college fees to pay. plus when kids get older, they go out and they'll be spending more. so that might not be a great choice. but that's just my opinion.

the g35 sedan will become a g37 sedan next model year. that's extra horses you can use. getting a g37xS will give you AWD and sport suspensions. and you should check on this but a manual should be a option. you'll have more space, manual and awd with japanese reliability. or a TL type-S will work too albiet it's FWD. i'd have to say the TL's have PLENTY of interior space so take a look at that. they'll also be going through a model change altogether so take a look. you can get the new model or get a better deal for the current TL.
Old 07-31-08, 09:06 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

i would say a4 2.0t s line easy to mod, 530 or 535 sedan, a6 3.2 or 4.2, s4 if you got the money c63 amg!!, check out the new jag xf it looks fantastic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPr4UyW7yXA
Old 07-31-08, 09:22 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

1&2. This is not really a problem for me and I can drive the car very aggressively in M mode. Maybe some more time behind the wheel will remedy this problem.

3.IMO, if you are looking for more room the 335i will not deliver. Your kids are only going to get bigger. I would get a 528i or 535i.
Old 07-31-08, 10:33 PM
Zanorath
Pole Position

I don't understand the whole lack of room thing for kids... I understand for adults they can get too tall, but I'm 5'11 and the back is *very* comfortable. I frequently drive others to meetings and such and the only one that doesn't give the backseats top marks is a guy thats 6'4", which is understandable.
Old 08-01-08, 10:21 AM
axle11
Driver School Candidate

texan629, good point thanks. I'll check out CR also.

Zanorath, I'm thinking its not that much of an issue about the kids. They have more than enough room back there right now. My wife isn't all that tall so they have plenty of room back there. I don't consider it a big issue although I mentioned it was one of the things I did not like about the car. Not a deal breaker.

kuuqi, good thoughts. I don't really want to consider anything else besides the Lexus or a BMW for now.

I'm not in a big hurry so I will perhaps take a test drive of a 3 Series and see how it feels.
Old 08-01-08, 10:22 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Axle11,

By reading your post I felt that you made a wrong decision when you purchased the IS. I think you should trade the IS for the BMW 3 series then you will be happy. Good luck.
Old 08-01-08, 10:54 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if i was a family man I would buy some more family oriented vehicle not a lux vehicle, thats just asking the kids to shred and mess up the inside
Old 08-01-08, 11:03 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no joke
Old 08-01-08, 11:05 AM
truoutkast
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if i was a family man I would buy some more family oriented vehicle not a lux vehicle, thats just asking the kids to shred and mess up the inside
I agree with him. if financial is not an issue, why not keep the car for yourself as a wknd/ fun car and buy a used van/ or family car that will be for you and your kids.
Old 08-01-08, 11:11 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If only the lexus GS had a stick-shift... man they're missing out on a big chunk of market
Old 08-01-08, 11:18 AM
Aristanet
Driver

I drive a manual 335 sedan and I must admit there is not much room in the back seat for adults but for kids its not that bad.

As for reliability, never had an issue with it. Granted, BMW free service is nothing compared to Lexus (but for Lexus you have to pay for it). I compare going for a service for my 335 to going to my dentist, that’s how painful it is.

If IS-350 or IS-F were available with a manual transmission, that would of been my next car.
Old 08-01-08, 12:27 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Theres no question that BMW has a certain 'drivers feel' to it, that you can't get from the lexus. And the availability of a manual transmission is a big plus as well. I assume you are looking to purchase not lease? BMW's are great to lease because you only have to deal with the car under warranty, when everything is covered. After that, things can get a bit expensive. My only caveat is to stay away from the first year of any model car.
Perhaps a 535i might be worth looking at. They have the same great connection to the road, a manual gearbox, and a powerful 3.0 tt inline six, which if it doesn't satisfy I'm pretty sure you can chip. It should also give you that added room you are looking for. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-01-08, 01:32 PM
cheappc
Driver

I dont mean to butt in, but as a lot of you know, I just sold my Lexus IS.

I liked it a lot, it was extremely reliable, the best customer service from a company, and the dealership was unbelievably awesome.

But I owned a couple of e36's (bmws), that I loved. The IS, is really a good competitor, plus more reliable. but here is the but:

But nothing, - I mean nothing -, compares to my USED BMW 323ic convertible. Or to the new 335, coupe or convertible (I would have bought it right now, but since Im investing in some property the banks dont want to see a huge debt to ratio on my credit).

To me, the only thing that comes close is a porsche 911, which is a lot more money.

Im sorry, I really liked the Lexus a lot, but after 13 months it was boring. Im having more fun with my 10 year old BMW! what gives?????
Old 08-01-08, 01:36 PM
DrGP
Driver

The 335i COUPE is my daily driver and the IS250AWD is my wife's daily driver which I also drive when we go together. I have to say that I have had many occasions to put 2 adults in the back seat of my coupe. It can be a little difficult for the adults to get into the back seat, but once they are in there is sufficient room for them. I would not want to spend 3 hrs in the back seat, but for around town driving, I can not believe that the rear seats would cramp your kids. BTW, the coupe only has 2 rear seats with a fixed console between them where the Sedan actually has 3 place seating in the rear and will give easier ingress and egress for the rear passengers
Attached Thumbnails Trade for BMW 3 Series? Thoughts?-lexus-and-bmw-004.jpg  

Quick Reply: Trade for BMW 3 Series? Thoughts?