Trade for BMW 3 Series? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 06:01 PM
maxnix
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Is It Only The Stick?

Originally Posted by axle11
I have a 2006 IS 350 with very little miles on it, 9,500.

To be honest, I do like the car but I miss the manual transmission of my old VW GTI.

Here are the things I don't like about the car:

1. I do not like when I do some spirited driving that the brakes kick in or the throttle eases up. It's hard to push the car when driving hard.
I kind of wonder about a driver that does not discern the different driving dyanamics between a FWD and RWD car. A stick has it's joys, but most drivers today couldn't double clutch if their lives depended on it.
Old 08-01-08, 06:42 PM
revspeed
Driver

I was in the same situationas you, the car was just so boring to drive. The steering was too light and maybe it was an is250 that help contribute the selling of it after only 2 years. I couldnt be happier with my e93

before

after

Last edited by revspeed; 08-01-08 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 07:36 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

Originally Posted by maxnix
I kind of wonder about a driver that does not discern the different driving dyanamics between a FWD and RWD car. A stick has it's joys, but most drivers today couldn't double clutch if their lives depended on it.
Double Clutch? Maybe im missing something, but isn't that what synchromesh technology is for? When and how is double clutching in today's cars beneficial?
Old 08-01-08, 08:47 PM
yogi350
Rookie

Originally Posted by revspeed
after
That's HOT
Old 08-01-08, 08:57 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kindred6ul
Double Clutch? Maybe im missing something, but isn't that what synchromesh technology is for? When and how is double clutching in today's cars beneficial?
+1, somebody's been watching fast and furious.
Double clutching in a modern car is completely useless.

Now if only i could find the choke, so i can crank start my car....
Old 08-01-08, 09:43 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 08 and you can turn off the traction control. Ive heard there is a way to tunr the traction control an VSC off for the 2006 model. ask around.

If you want a 3 series and get a 335i, then it might be ok. but a 330i??? come on. get an used 335i under warranty manual tranny. but be ready to take it to the shop more than the IS.
Old 08-01-08, 10:05 PM
DatIS350
Driver School Candidate

Both are very nice car in its unique way
Attached Thumbnails Trade for BMW 3 Series? Thoughts?-piaawheels.jpg  
Old 08-01-08, 10:25 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RI-Lex
I understand the facts you stated, but are you ready for the unreliable vehicle BMW is once out of warranty? maybe look into CPO one?
Originally Posted by Lanced21
My parents have been loyal to Lexus for roughly 15 years now and I myself WAS a BMW fan. So I saved up, and with some help from my uncle who owns a car dealership purchased a BMW 325i (used, but only with 600 miles, certified)....I just realized I could turn this into a story so I will just cut to the chase...the BMW was an 01..and from the date I got it (Jan 28) to the day it blew its head gasket without warning (no leaking fluids, no temp gauge warnings, NOTHING) (May 15th 2008) I had broken down three times on the Interstate and had several other faulty electrical problems that after a while I just stopped caring about (rear windows for one decided to stop working, and front right window needed manual assistance to go up and down)...the kicker is I was just outside my warranty by less then 2k miles and they wouldn't cut me a break at all...(wanted 14k for a new engine)...so thats why i now drive a IS350....
thats my sob story about BMW and while talking to salvage yards and mechanics when deciding to do with my car I'm not alone.

Since your kids are one of the reasons you mentioned wanting to switch to a BMW because of room I should tell you (though I haven't been in the new body style) that the back seat is much more uncomfortable as the window seems to be at a greater degree slope and my friends complained of their head always hitting it (granted my friends are in mid 20's and your kids are much younger)...another feature about the back seat that may not seem like a big deal, but here in FLorida really is, is the air conditioners in the backseat. The BMW's I have been in do not offer this feature and really do make quite a difference (ask your kids if they would rather have direct AC on them after a soccer game or not :-P)
You might want to wait a little longer for a 335i. Rumor has it, that bmw is stock piling on HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pumps) because they are getting ready for a massive recall. I already had my HPFP replaced and my current is starting to crap out on me. Oh, did I mention my friend's car has been in the dealership for the past 3 weeks, with 6 cars ahead of him, because BMW has a national shortage of fuel pumps. My friend talked to the SA and he said they have never seen anything like this before. BMW has been caught off guard with the HPFP issues and is now finally starting to play catch up. Good news is, if any of you own an 135i, 335i, or 535i, we're all getting new HPFP sometime soon. I swear to god, im selling my e93 the minute the IS Cabrio is out, whenever that is....

Sorry about that rant on BMW's reliability. I'll give you my opinion. I own both 335i and IS350. I find IS350 to be more comfortable, better for road trips etc. I like the 335i performance. I think you should stick it out with IS350. You'll lose a lot of money if switch cars.
Old 08-03-08, 08:26 AM
cheappc
Driver

Originally Posted by revspeed
I was in the same situationas you, the car was just so boring to drive. The steering was too light and maybe it was an is250 that help contribute the selling of it after only 2 years. I couldnt be happier with my e93

before

after
WOOOO.. thats sweet!
Old 08-03-08, 03:18 PM
revspeed
Driver

heres a few more to help you consider a a 3er

Old 08-03-08, 03:26 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

revspeed, your car is dope. Are those iForged senekas?

what are you dropped on?
Old 08-03-08, 03:36 PM
revspeed
Driver

thanks...yeah they are senekas and its dropped on H&R Race
Old 08-03-08, 11:40 PM
cheappc
Driver

ps, i love your house too! damn you got it going on!
Old 08-03-08, 11:51 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts...

Light steering - Really? I drove the C63 AMG last weekend and that thing has even lighter steering than my IS350... I do agree that the 2IS has less road feel than some of its competitors but its steering is definitely not light.

Handling - An IS350 with F-sport springs/shock and sway bars handles better than a stock 335i sport and still undercut in pricing. That's all I have to say...

No manual - well, I'll give you that. If manual tranny is that important to you then you are right, the 2IS isn't the best option.
Old 08-04-08, 07:15 AM
sOsoLiD_IS
Rookie

lexus>bmw i think

Quick Reply: Trade for BMW 3 Series? Thoughts?