IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trade for BMW 3 Series? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 04:32 PM
axle11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade for BMW 3 Series? Thoughts?

I have a 2006 IS 350 with very little miles on it, 9,500. My commute to work is very short and we take my wife's car on long trips so my car doesn't get out much.

To be honest, I do like the car but I miss the manual transmission of my old VW GTI.

Here are the things I don't like about the car:

1. I do not like when I do some spirited driving that the brakes kick in or the throttle eases up. It's hard to push the car when driving hard.

2. Like I stated before, I miss the manual transmission. Sport mode is nice and I'm using it more and more but unless I look at the tach or look at the gear in the display, I always have to look down. With a genuine manual, I go by feel and the tach but mostly by feel and sound. (of the engine)

3. It's a bit small in the back. My kids are getting bigger (11 and 8) and they are starting to feel cramped. The 3 is a bit larger in the front which makes the front seats not have to go back so much which cuts in on the space in the back.

When I bought the car, it was a toss up between the IS and a BMW 330i. I test drove both and like the acceleration and comfort of the IS. But now, the IS seems rather boring with hard driving and don't feel as much in control as I remember the GTI. Back then, the BMW had a nice road feel but more of a boxy feel to it and a little harsh. Maybe that's what makes a car more exciting.

I've been thinking this all up in my mind but don't want to break the news to my wife yet without getting some more input.

This is my first post but I read you guys a lot. I'd like to hear your comments out there. Thanks.
Old 07-31-08, 04:35 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand the facts you stated, but are you ready for the unreliable vehicle BMW is once out of warranty? maybe look into CPO one?
Old 07-31-08, 04:43 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

as to point #3... make them WALK or BIKE... this is why we have soooo many fat americans... fat kids grow up to be fat adults...

If you wanted a 'sports sedan' why did you walk into a lexus stealership in the first place?
Old 07-31-08, 04:45 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Get a 335i sedan or a M3 sedan.
Old 07-31-08, 04:49 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Get a 335i sedan or a M3 sedan.
+1 on the M3, love that car
Old 07-31-08, 04:55 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

If your worried about space for your kids then you definitely need something bigger than a 3 series or an IS, especially at that age for the next few years.
Old 07-31-08, 04:58 PM
axle11
Driver School Candidate

llamaboiz, funny! By bigger, I don't mean fatter! They are normal size kids, just getting taller. What happens is that when I have a front passenger, the passengers tend to move the seat back and it encroaches on the little ones foot area. When the passenger gets out, the seat stays back and I always have to readjust the seat for the kid. A small thing I know but it shows the lack of space in the back.

To answer your question, I looked at Lexus because I believe the IS is a sports sedan with reliability.

RI-Lex, good point. I'll check the reliability of the 3 Series. Very good point. There have been no problems with the IS.

TwiBlueG35, I am looking into a used CPO BMW, late model so I will be on the lookout if I trade in. A used manual BMW is hard to find. Most used ones are automatic.
Old 07-31-08, 06:24 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

The 3 isn't exactly ginormous in the back either.
I'd say G35 except for the fact that the clutch is crap.
CPO 5 series?
Old 07-31-08, 06:45 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default Have had a few Bimmers since year 2000 -

They are really nice true "driver's cars" - there is no mistaking that point.
You look like you want a driving experience AND room in back. The newest E92 versions, the 335's in particular, seem to have grown a little bit bigger than the former E46 versions of the 3 Series. The E-46 3 Series is classified as a Compact Car, so its going to be smaller in back - test one and see. If your kids are growing like my step kids are, you may need something bigger still. For example, my step son is 16 and already 6'2" and over 200lbs. He has to put the seat on the '97 540i we bought for the kids to drive, all the way back, so even this car with alot more room than a 3 Series is still not big enough for passengers in back with tall drivers and or passsengers..
The new E92 335i Coupe is one of the most beautiful Bimmers to come out in years. It may or may not be big enough for all the family. As it is for us, we are 2 adults and 3 large kids, and if we were to take a trip we would have to either rent a van or something, or take 2 vehicles, in order for everyone to have a little room. You think you have problems!
Perhaps the only choice is back to an SUV ( we already had a couple of these, an X5 and an MDX)..If I had to get another one, it might be the Lexus Hybrid or the Toyota Highlander - but I havent test fit those out with these giant kids yet.. Good luck with your search ! DanF
Old 07-31-08, 06:48 PM
Lanced21
Driver School Candidate

My parents have been loyal to Lexus for roughly 15 years now and I myself WAS a BMW fan. So I saved up, and with some help from my uncle who owns a car dealership purchased a BMW 325i (used, but only with 600 miles, certified)....I just realized I could turn this into a story so I will just cut to the chase...the BMW was an 01..and from the date I got it (Jan 28) to the day it blew its head gasket without warning (no leaking fluids, no temp gauge warnings, NOTHING) (May 15th 2008) I had broken down three times on the Interstate and had several other faulty electrical problems that after a while I just stopped caring about (rear windows for one decided to stop working, and front right window needed manual assistance to go up and down)...the kicker is I was just outside my warranty by less then 2k miles and they wouldn't cut me a break at all...(wanted 14k for a new engine)...so thats why i now drive a IS350....
thats my sob story about BMW and while talking to salvage yards and mechanics when deciding to do with my car I'm not alone.

Since your kids are one of the reasons you mentioned wanting to switch to a BMW because of room I should tell you (though I haven't been in the new body style) that the back seat is much more uncomfortable as the window seems to be at a greater degree slope and my friends complained of their head always hitting it (granted my friends are in mid 20's and your kids are much younger)...another feature about the back seat that may not seem like a big deal, but here in FLorida really is, is the air conditioners in the backseat. The BMW's I have been in do not offer this feature and really do make quite a difference (ask your kids if they would rather have direct AC on them after a soccer game or not :-P)
Old 07-31-08, 06:49 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about an Infiniti? The new G37's look great IMO and they reliability of a Nissan product has gone up as well..the backseat room is substantially larger than that of the 3-series or IS. Another car to look at would be the Acura TL Type-S? Both the G37 and the Type-S have great 6spd manual transmissions..both will run you about 40k in the end too
Old 07-31-08, 06:51 PM
Lanced21
Driver School Candidate

Meefer did have a good suggestion I was thinking about as well...the G35 does have a much roomier back seat then both of these cars and does well performance wise...after my BMW blew up I was choosing between the IS and the G35 and obviously chose the IS350 based on looks and warranty (I have a certified pre-owned, which was a better warranty then a new G35)
Old 07-31-08, 06:58 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

trade it in for those mini school buses =P
Old 07-31-08, 07:41 PM
axle11
Driver School Candidate

You guys are bringing up really good points and I'm considering all of them. Thank you.

In hindsight, my old GTI had a lot of little quirks and big quirks that really bugged me. Broken latches, outside trimming falling off, etc.

Lanced21, good story. I would not want to get stranded with kids all of a sudden like you did. That would really suck. Good point on the a/c vents in the back! Especially since my IS has a black interior. Good call on the soccer. The kids do play but I make them take their cleats off and I put them in the cargo net in the truck.:-)

Does anyone have any comments on my driving comments?
Old 07-31-08, 07:51 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel exactly what you are feeling.... I miss the stick and thought I made the mistake of purchasing the Lexus instead of the BMW or not choosing the is250 manual, but driving the wifes underpowered accord which is a manual as well changed my mind....the 250 6spd manual does not have enough power to satisfy my taste, add 50 horsepower and then I would say it was the perfect car for me. Does your car have an exhaust? Before I bought the tanabe exhaust, I felt the same way you did not knowing when to shift because it was so quiet (I would hit the limiter on occasion) with the exhaust on, I feel more connected to the car because I can hear what the car is doing, and the exhaust isn't too loud either....just loud enough to be sporty and heard. I'll be installing some Tein s-techs shortly which should make the car more responsive in the handling department. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Trade for BMW 3 Series? Thoughts?