Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 10:06 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
On a big TRACK, The F can dominate....

On a Auto-X track IS350....

Trust, me the F would be a lot better on the track (big track with some decent straights) since it has a lot better acceleration...

IF YOU WANT A Real Track car, be prepared to swap the engine, BUY a new SUBi or Evo, or heavily modify your's. Cause the car needs more power. (power to weight)

End of story
Lotus Exige 240S!!!! That would be my track car...or maybe a Nissan GTR V-spec...R35 lol
Old 08-02-08, 10:25 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
Lotus Exige 240S!!!! That would be my track car...or maybe a Nissan GTR V-spec...R35 lol
I'm still deciding, on what car to get, for dedicated track use
Old 08-03-08, 12:08 AM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
I'm still deciding, on what car to get, for dedicated track use
vw r32 will take on a subi or evo any day dude. getting it tuned and turbo ull smoke a few cars it handles great and no 1 would expect this from a hatchback awd..
Old 08-03-08, 02:22 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^lol r32 vw sucks.. mod for mod an evo or sti will kill a r32
Old 08-03-08, 03:35 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't matter how big or small the track is the result is the same: IS F > IS350. The question should be "how much better is the IS F than the IS350 on the tracks?"

On the bigger tracks, IS F's speed is one advantage that the IS350 couldn't overcome and on the smaller tracks, IS F's handling is another factor why it has the edge over the regular IS.

Do I think the IS F is a better DD than IS350? No. But when it comes to which one is the better track car, there should be no question about it.
Old 08-03-08, 04:28 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LILDANTE79
vw r32 will take on a subi or evo any day dude. getting it tuned and turbo ull smoke a few cars it handles great and no 1 would expect this from a hatchback awd..

Haha man!!!

This is exactly the car i was looking at

and about the Hatchback...

Except for the people that see the Crawford STI hatch, in action
Old 08-03-08, 06:24 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
I can also confidently say the IS350 Sport out-handles the Acura TL 6MT I had before. This thing actually has less body roll than my TL 6MT even in the hard corners. The suspension and steering on the IS350 is really good..
I will disagree with the handling of the TL compared to the IS...and you are comparing the Sport IS to the TL...the Aspec TL would be the correct comparo to the Sport IS and I owned one and it is better on handling then the IS Sport. The drop could have been better but the Aspec kit was an OEM product. The Aspect TL had NO body roll...the IS sport or even on lowering springs still has body roll

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
r....Its "supposed" to compete against the M3, RS4, C63....
that sums it up right there ...
Old 08-03-08, 08:04 AM
LexFather

Let me chime in, as I've driven an IS 250, 350, F-sport and IS-F at the track, some more than once.

Stock, the IS does just about better than any stock Lexus but it clearly is no track day car, but a sporty car with luxury on the track. The brakes hold up well and acceleration is good with body roll in corners. The car is the smallest Lexus sedan so it drives the most nimble but compared to lighter cars or a 3, its clear the engine overpowers the chassis. Steering feel it needs but a Lexus is not about steering feel.

IS 350 complete F-sport kit, this car is a complete surprise and more than enough car for most people. You keep the IS speed but add what it needs, additional bracing. The car corners much flatter and is much more predictable in corners (sounds good too!). It is obvious the engine/chassis finally match but now the tranny is slow to shift and the seats need more bolstering since you can really swing this car around. I am a HUGE fan of this car, seriously, Lexus did their HW here. Again, it needs more steering feel, a retuned ECU or something.

IS-F with Michelin PS2, I mention the tires b/c the IS does drive different with the Bridgestones. The PS2s= godly tires. You can feel the weight difference between the IS-F and the IS 350/sport. You can feel that the engine again, overpowers, but mostly in a short autocross course. On the open track, this car REALLY REALLY REALLY comes into its own and its an ABSOLUTE BLAST to drive. Its clear the difference in speed here between it and the IS 350/sport and you can and will take corners faster. Its obvious. The car sounds superb as well. THe brakes are uncanny, no fade at all. Once again, steering feel is lacking somewhat, a Lexus trait. On the road it won't be a problem.

To be honest, you can actually meet/beat the IS-F with the IS 350 SPORT in a smaller autocross course where the IS-F engine really doesn't help since the car never tops 45mph. On a bigger roadcourse where you can top over 100mph, the IS-F is clearly the superior car.

As for the TL vs IS, I've driven both recently and the TL is no slouch but you can feel its FWD "pulling" the car, which just reminds me of a Kia or Corolla. The IS 350 has the proper RWD setup. The TL is also much larger than the IS and you can feel the difference in size.

Old 08-03-08, 12:25 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

agree with everyone else.... get a track car

for me i would go with a s13 and with 15k in mods.... the IS-F wont be able to touch it

combfilter nice vids bro, i really enjoyed it, makes me want to go out right now and drive my car!
Old 08-03-08, 01:23 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat

I can tell you how things work:

In terms of handling and body roll:

TL Type-S 6MT > TL ASpec 5AT > TL 6MT > TL 5AT

That is the equation. Study that.

LOL
TL Type-S, is no Joke for some serious canyon runs...
Old 08-03-08, 03:19 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

meow cat: thanks, yeah the blue 350z was fast on the straights. He had an SC on it. That s4 was fast too, but slower driver. I switched around, on the shifting, but I like
the auto better on track days.

Pisaykotik, thanks yeah a monkey could drive that lotus, not sure what the driver was doing on that course. The track that day ran 1.7mi. I hate cresson though compared to
texas world speedway. You can seriously maintain a lot of speed out at TWS. Like insane. They have the texas 2k supra meets there.

passnu2: heeh yeah i am back from my ban, but don't really have much to post. this thread was the only interesting one latey because Joe and I just had a talk about this the other day. Also, I was talking smack to caymandive since he just traded up his is350 for an IS-F.

sr20****: thanks, yeah get out there and take your car to the track and be safe.
Old 08-03-08, 04:47 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well.. the reason why I am consider getting an IS-F is because after finishing taking an Advanced Performance Track school in my IS 350.. I asked an instructor (he's this year Champion at this track this year) what I need to do improve my skills, he said.. you have taken the car to its limit...get another car...

But I only take the car to Road Course maybe 3 times a year but I do more AutoCross.. that why installing a sway bar may be enough...

The IS-F may not be worth the extra $15K upgrade... I like more power and speed but was a little disappointed with the IS-F when I test drove the car... I noticed an instant difference between the IS 250 vs IS 350 when it comes to power but didn't see much or any different between the IS 350 vs IS-F... maybe I just didn't push the car hard enough or didn't had enough time with it.

In a way I am little disappointed with the IS-F... from all the reviews it's always behind the M3, RS4 and C63.. and all the video I have seen.. its seems a little unstable in comparsion to the other 3 cars. But I have no interest in the other 3 cars because of reliablity issues. Lexus did a good job for their first attempt at the Performance Luxury ... but I expected better it's not a M3 killer.

Maybe I should upgrade my IS 350 (+ sway bar for AutoCross and Road Course) skip the 2008 IS-F and wait until the Nissan GT-R is more available... this car will destroy all the cars above and it's not much more expensive.

Also.. how much more fun is the IS-F compare to the IS 350? Anyone disappointed that they upgraded to the IS-F from their IS 350?
Old 08-03-08, 05:51 PM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ba-b4
^^lol r32 vw sucks.. mod for mod an evo or sti will kill a r32
lol go check out the r32s tuned by HPA. i own one so that my opinion, and an m3 and for some reason when i go to the track or canyon runs i feel better on my r32. i love the isf but how things are right now i wouldnt get one. i rather tune up my 250 and have fun with what i have.

Last edited by LILDANTE79; 08-03-08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 06:52 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ive driven my car on texas world speedway just like comb. The instructor that I had was really impressed with the IS, and his car was a tracked up Z06. IMO that means a lot. Of course it cant hang with some cars but it can hold its own
Old 08-03-08, 07:07 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

if you want a four door car that will work good on the track leave it to the germans either c63 amg or m3. the lexus is a great car dont get me wrong but what the lexus does good the bmw and the c63 do briliantly. wait for a gen 2 is f it will probably get a dsg/smg like gear box more power and sophisticated handeling.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 vs IS-F