IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 vs IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 07:49 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LILDANTE79
lol go check out the r32s tuned by HPA. i own one so that my opinion, and an m3 and for some reason when i go to the track or canyon runs i feel better on my r32. i love the isf but how things are right now i wouldnt get one. i rather tune up my 250 and have fun with what i have.
I'm not sure what an HPA tuned r32 is I'm guessing aftermarket turbo kit.. maybe you'd like to tell me what the specs are on your turbo'ed r32 and maybe I'll be impressed but I still stand by my statement that mod for mod you can't compare your r32 to an evo or sti with the same amt of money spent on it. Those cars will murder your r32 dollar for dollar and I doubt your awd system is as sophisticated as what's on the evo.
Old 08-03-08, 08:44 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any worries about wrecking their $40k+ cars on the track and having their insurance deny the claim? I would love to take my IS to the track but that fear and a few others stop me. That's why I just bought a much cheaper, lighter, and more suitable car.

It's an 84 Alfa Romeo GTV6. Don't have any pics of the actual car, so somebody else's will have to suffice. It has had the stock 2.5 replaced with a fuel injected 3.0 liter with about 200hp going to the rear wheels. It only weighs 2500 lbs and it has 50:50 weight ratio. The best part is that if everything goes wrong, I'm out only about 2000 dollars. That and it kinda looks like a ferrari lol.
Old 08-03-08, 10:24 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I'm not sure what an HPA tuned r32 is I'm guessing aftermarket turbo kit.. maybe you'd like to tell me what the specs are on your turbo'ed r32 and maybe I'll be impressed but I still stand by my statement that mod for mod you can't compare your r32 to an evo or sti with the same amt of money spent on it. Those cars will murder your r32 dollar for dollar and I doubt your awd system is as sophisticated as what's on the evo.
gen 2 r32 with hpa kit 575 0-60 3.5

gen 1 simaler numbers 0-60 3.2

evo's need 35r's to make those numbers

first pic is the k04 http://www.crazesolutions.com.au/a4b7/k04/k04_001.jpg
this pic is a 35r compare sizes
http://www.dragtimes.com/images/7363-2000-Audi-A4.jpg

and the hpa v-dub is only spiking at 19.5 on a a4 the k04 will let you spike at 24 and hold at 19.5 makes btw both pics are of a4's
Old 08-03-08, 11:11 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by combfilter
omg that looks soooo fun =)
Old 08-03-08, 11:47 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
gen 2 r32 with hpa kit 575 0-60 3.5

gen 1 simaler numbers 0-60 3.2

evo's need 35r's to make those numbers

first pic is the k04 http://www.crazesolutions.com.au/a4b7/k04/k04_001.jpg
this pic is a 35r compare sizes
http://www.dragtimes.com/images/7363-2000-Audi-A4.jpg

and the hpa v-dub is only spiking at 19.5 on a a4 the k04 will let you spike at 24 and hold at 19.5 makes btw both pics are of a4's
that's pretty good but at what cost. Throw enough money into anything and you can make it go fast.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/ft450.htm

I see that the highest kit they have there is the 450hp kit from the manufacturer and that alone is $18,500for the old one and 21k for the new gen. How much will it cost for the 575hp kit? It's not even listed.. Something like 30 thousand over the cost of the car? I'm sorry but that's just silly.

Here's some kits for an evo. There's no question which is the better platorm to start with.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...i-p-34373.html

http://www.nyxracing.com/atp-turbo-s...i-p-34374.html

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=515
Old 08-04-08, 12:46 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
get another car...

But I only take the car to Road Course maybe 3 times a year

was a little disappointed with the IS-F when I test drove the car...

always behind the M3, RS4 and C63.. and all the video I have seen.. it's not a M3 killer.

wait until the Nissan GT-R is more available... this car will destroy all the cars above and it's not much more expensive.
On your last statement.

I'm sorry to bust, both your bubble and my bubble.

But the GT-R 35, was getting its @$$ kicked on the race track, SAD to Say, but very true . These were professional drivers to, so it wasn't because the driver sucked...

And it was COBB tuned....
Old 08-04-08, 01:08 AM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
As a DD, the IS-F is overkill....500hp to go from stop light to stop light or just commute is a waste.
Minor correction, the IS-F only has 416 HP, not 500. It is still a 110 HP improvement over an IS350, but does that make it a track car??
Old 08-04-08, 01:25 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t0e
But the GT-R 35, was getting its @$$ kicked on the race track, SAD to Say, but very true . These were professional drivers to, so it wasn't because the driver sucked...
calif speedway is not on the list of racetracks uploaded to the R35.
Old 08-04-08, 06:54 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
I don't know what is there to disagree. It sounds like you are *trying* to make a disagreement.

I was simply expressing the driving experiences I had on my '06 TL 6MT and my current experiences with my IS350 Sport. I didn't say it's a fair comparison or what. That is not the point here... After more spirited driving I can say that the IS350 Sport does have less body roll in the turns. The TL 6MT comes VERY close... but in the hard corners the TL felt heavier and had a little more body roll. Even in high speed cornering the IS350 Sport felt lighter, more agile. Thanks to RWD configuration and short wheelbase by Lexus.

I can tell you how things work:

In terms of handling and body roll:

TL Type-S 6MT > TL ASpec 5AT > TL 6MT > TL 5AT

That is the equation. Study that.
this was no disagreement and you are wrong on the way you have the TL The Aspec TL, any configuration its added to, will have less body roll and offer better handling It doesn't matter if its 5AT "or" 6MT your point was that your IS-Sport is better then your TL and it should since you paid more for the "sport" my IS handles just like the standard TL and it has the same OEM, non upgraded suspension....

The Type S is simply the bigger engine I need no studying on this car and I have had them all...I know what configuration will compare to your IS. So you can keep lol at my post if that is what makes you happy.

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
Let me chime in, as I've driven an IS 250, 350, F-sport and IS-F at the track, some more than once.

Stock, the IS does just about better than any stock Lexus but it clearly is no track day car, but a sporty car with luxury on the track. The brakes hold up well and acceleration is good with body roll in corners. The car is the smallest Lexus sedan so it drives the most nimble but compared to lighter cars or a 3, its clear the engine overpowers the chassis. Steering feel it needs but a Lexus is not about steering feel.

IS 350 complete F-sport kit, this car is a complete surprise and more than enough car for most people. You keep the IS speed but add what it needs, additional bracing. The car corners much flatter and is much more predictable in corners (sounds good too!). It is obvious the engine/chassis finally match but now the tranny is slow to shift and the seats need more bolstering since you can really swing this car around. I am a HUGE fan of this car, seriously, Lexus did their HW here. Again, it needs more steering feel, a retuned ECU or something.

IS-F with Michelin PS2, I mention the tires b/c the IS does drive different with the Bridgestones. The PS2s= godly tires. You can feel the weight difference between the IS-F and the IS 350/sport. You can feel that the engine again, overpowers, but mostly in a short autocross course. On the open track, this car REALLY REALLY REALLY comes into its own and its an ABSOLUTE BLAST to drive. Its clear the difference in speed here between it and the IS 350/sport and you can and will take corners faster. Its obvious. The car sounds superb as well. THe brakes are uncanny, no fade at all. Once again, steering feel is lacking somewhat, a Lexus trait. On the road it won't be a problem.

To be honest, you can actually meet/beat the IS-F with the IS 350 SPORT in a smaller autocross course where the IS-F engine really doesn't help since the car never tops 45mph. On a bigger roadcourse where you can top over 100mph, the IS-F is clearly the superior car.

As for the TL vs IS, I've driven both recently and the TL is no slouch but you can feel its FWD "pulling" the car, which just reminds me of a Kia or Corolla. The IS 350 has the proper RWD setup. The TL is also much larger than the IS and you can feel the difference in size.
I will disagree with you! The IS with out the added F-Sport will run quicker numbers. IT was proven at the ISF event in Chicago by a "professional" driver. I also know that the IS without all the goodies was posting better numbers in CA from Javy. The car feels better (and looks better) but is not really improving the numbers. If you are going to track the IS its better to leave it alone and replace the tires with the PS2's as you stated. I put them on my IS350 and night and day difference. But you get what you pay for.

Both the IS and TL are good all around cars. You cant go wrong with either one and the quality in both cars is the same. Well this is my first IS and it is no different then the 5 Acura TL's that I leased for work. RWD is much better then FWD IMO but that is an opinion and preference for each to decide on. But to compare the TL to the corolla or Kia??? Lexus can learn in a few areas from what Acura has to offer....first will start with the NAVI then will go to the 6mt that is available....not available in the IS350 or ISF.
Old 08-04-08, 07:00 AM
sOsoLiD_IS
Rookie

isf should have looked more aggressive
Old 08-04-08, 09:31 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
that's pretty good but at what cost. Throw enough money into anything and you can make it go fast.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/ft450.htm

I see that the highest kit they have there is the 450hp kit from the manufacturer and that alone is $18,500for the old one and 21k for the new gen. How much will it cost for the 575hp kit? It's not even listed.. Something like 30 thousand over the cost of the car? I'm sorry but that's just silly.

Here's some kits for an evo. There's no question which is the better platorm to start with.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...i-p-34373.html

http://www.nyxracing.com/atp-turbo-s...i-p-34374.html

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=515
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Bp5Gp9tAo mt buddy's evo with a 35r tuned by devo tunning to bad he made no video's of his 45r evo that was scary he used to have to tell his gf when he was going to floor it because it was that scary
Old 08-04-08, 04:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what ever makes you feel better about yourself! keep sitting behind your computer and making yourself feel better about yourself. So do you work for Acura to be such an expert on what "looks" to be better parts or are you just saying this because its what you where told?? I have been out with the local execs from Acura, know many techs from Acura, ect....You can believe and post what you want to. I know the facts and my resources of this info come direct from the sources NOT someone who thinks they know it all

owned what?!?!? shows your level of maturity meow cat!

I see you had to edit your post?!?! lol...I wont quote you so you can edit or change again if you need to

If you want to discuss and call me out more take this to the PM and we can chat more!
Old 08-04-08, 04:11 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

My brain hurts from reading this. Lets keep it on-topic, mature, and polite guys, please.

Javier
Old 08-04-08, 05:03 PM
Scottward
Driver

The differences meowcat speaks of are in the standard literature Acura publishes about the different TL lines. Pretty easy stuff to look up, not sure why there is an argument. I myself had a POS 05' 6MT TL which had a highway vibration that took the dealer a month to solve. After rebuilding the suspension it never drove right so I got rid of it.
Old 08-04-08, 06:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Well.. the reason why I am consider getting an IS-F is because after finishing taking an Advanced Performance Track school in my IS 350.. I asked an instructor (he's this year Champion at this track this year) what I need to do improve my skills, he said.. you have taken the car to its limit...get another car...

But I only take the car to Road Course maybe 3 times a year but I do more AutoCross.. that why installing a sway bar may be enough...

The IS-F may not be worth the extra $15K upgrade... I like more power and speed but was a little disappointed with the IS-F when I test drove the car... I noticed an instant difference between the IS 250 vs IS 350 when it comes to power but didn't see much or any different between the IS 350 vs IS-F... maybe I just didn't push the car hard enough or didn't had enough time with it.

In a way I am little disappointed with the IS-F... from all the reviews it's always behind the M3, RS4 and C63.. and all the video I have seen.. its seems a little unstable in comparsion to the other 3 cars. But I have no interest in the other 3 cars because of reliablity issues. Lexus did a good job for their first attempt at the Performance Luxury ... but I expected better it's not a M3 killer.

Maybe I should upgrade my IS 350 (+ sway bar for AutoCross and Road Course) skip the 2008 IS-F and wait until the Nissan GT-R is more available... this car will destroy all the cars above and it's not much more expensive.

Also.. how much more fun is the IS-F compare to the IS 350? Anyone disappointed that they upgraded to the IS-F from their IS 350?
You might have skimmed reviews and not read them.
EVO, possibly the toughest test, gave it 5 stars, the first Lexus to do so, its highest rating.
Top Gear, just as tough, tested it against all the GErmans and said at the end "no winner, they are all good". That has NEVER happened before and the writer said "I am drawn to the Lexus".
CAR loved it as well, the total anti-Lexus.

The American mags love it to but C&D, Motor Trend have sucked so much BMW and Honda ***** that they can't even begin to see any other car win. It was personal preference and items like "gotta have it" that made the M3 win.

IMO it is CLEAR the power difference from 250 to 350 to IS-F. CRYSTAL CLEAR

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 vs IS-F