IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 vs IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 06:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by passnu2
this was no disagreement and you are wrong on the way you have the TL The Aspec TL, any configuration its added to, will have less body roll and offer better handling It doesn't matter if its 5AT "or" 6MT your point was that your IS-Sport is better then your TL and it should since you paid more for the "sport" my IS handles just like the standard TL and it has the same OEM, non upgraded suspension....

The Type S is simply the bigger engine I need no studying on this car and I have had them all...I know what configuration will compare to your IS. So you can keep lol at my post if that is what makes you happy.

I will disagree with you! The IS with out the added F-Sport will run quicker numbers. IT was proven at the ISF event in Chicago by a "professional" driver. I also know that the IS without all the goodies was posting better numbers in CA from Javy. The car feels better (and looks better) but is not really improving the numbers. If you are going to track the IS its better to leave it alone and replace the tires with the PS2's as you stated. I put them on my IS350 and night and day difference. But you get what you pay for.

Both the IS and TL are good all around cars. You cant go wrong with either one and the quality in both cars is the same. Well this is my first IS and it is no different then the 5 Acura TL's that I leased for work. RWD is much better then FWD IMO but that is an opinion and preference for each to decide on. But to compare the TL to the corolla or Kia??? Lexus can learn in a few areas from what Acura has to offer....first will start with the NAVI then will go to the 6mt that is available....not available in the IS350 or ISF.
I am not going to disagree with u about the IS at the track b/c

Skilled driver>skilled car. At different tracks, different times there will be different outcomes. However, I am positive the IS 350 F-Sport will indeed beat the stock IS 350 at teh track with normal drivers and skilled drivers most of the time. The difference in brake fade alone would make teh F-sport win after a few laps (not this one lap internet crap )

Lexus does has learned from Acura, being formed after Acura and CLEARLY they DON'T follow Acura or Lexus would be the joke Acura has become. To think they offered the NSX!!
Old 08-04-08, 06:52 PM
myculito
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
The American mags love it to but C&D, Motor Trend have sucked so much BMW and Honda ***** that they can't even begin to see any other car win. It was personal preference and items like "gotta have it" that made the M3 win.

IMO it is CLEAR the power difference from 250 to 350 to IS-F. CRYSTAL CLEAR
Lol, that was awesome. I thought it was just me that thought that C&D and MT were Honda and BMW biased.

It makes me sick when I see that for certain BMW and Honda models, they use the "Gotta Have It" category as a swing vote for whatever car they want to win. It's bull****, and for the smarter readers of these car mags, they'll pick up on this.
Old 08-04-08, 07:30 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
passnu2: heeh yeah i am back from my ban, but don't really have much to post. this thread was the only interesting one latey Joe and I just had a talk about this the other day. Also, I was talking smack to caymandive since he just traded up his is350 for an IS-F.
You sure do know how to talk smack! ....but I can take it.

I've had the IS-F now since Thursday evening and the car is just so addicting to drive. I'm now looking for excuses to run errands for the wife. . Probably not the best daily driver with the just ok gas mileage, but the handling and power is night and day compared to the IS350 which it should be since Lexus designed these cars for different purposes and target audiences.

Do I miss the IS350. I honestly do because of all time, energy invested in it and all those fun track days. The gas mileage was great, having seating capacity for 5 will be missed and I actually liked the seat coolers.

To sum it up the IS350 is a damn capable car and has shown its value at drag strips, road courses and nights out on the town toting the ladies around, but after driving the IS-F I was hooked. The car is in an entirely different league from the IS350 and it was a change I was ready and anxious to make.

PS..I love the Beluga Whale look. My co-worker has also described the look of the car to the Muppets character "Gonzo's" nose. Cracked me up! I see the car more as a reptilian of sorts with the dimensions, stance and those fangs on the front.
Old 08-04-08, 07:54 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
My brain hurts from reading this. Lets keep it on-topic, mature, and polite guys, please.

Javier
heh lol...what have you been up to man? Haven't heard or seen you in awhile...heh
Old 08-04-08, 09:04 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by caymandive

To sum it up the IS350 is a damn capable car and has shown its value at drag strips, road courses and nights out on the town toting the ladies around, but after driving the IS-F I was hooked. The car is in an entirely different league from the IS350 and it was a change I was ready and anxious to make.
I guess, I haven't said this enough huH???

Is-f is much greater

Enjoy the ride caymandive! I would love one also...
Old 08-04-08, 09:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by javyLSU
My brain hurts from reading this. Lets keep it on-topic, mature, and polite guys, please.

Javier
My brain hurts reading your post

just kidding!!

Javy is right!
Old 08-04-08, 09:19 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

PS..I love the Beluga Whale look. My co-worker has also described the look of the car to the Muppets character "Gonzo's" nose. Cracked me up! I see the car more as a reptilian of sorts with the dimensions, stance and those fangs on the front.
it would be interesting to mathematically compare the slopes on both hoods.

Old 08-05-08, 10:05 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Do I miss the IS350. I honestly do because of all time, energy invested in it and all those fun track days. The gas mileage was great, having seating capacity for 5 will be missed and I actually liked the seat coolers.
Aren't the 350 and the F the exact same size?
Old 08-05-08, 10:10 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JKA.nyc
Aren't the 350 and the F the exact same size?
The backseat of the IS-F lacks the center seat that the IS350 has.

Last edited by caymandive; 08-05-08 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-05-08, 10:20 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

How about dropping all discussion about the Acura and take the discussions to PM's. The TL has nothing to do with what the OP was asking about.
Old 08-05-08, 07:54 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

The transmission shifts are so much faster in the IS-F than the IS350. That was one of the reasons why I also upgraded from my IS350. I remember in the IS350 I have to preshift so that the car would shift at the time I really wanted it to change gears. In the F in sport mode, it shifts immediately. I also feel that the steering is heavier in the F than the IS350. I always felt that the IS350 had too much power assist. Yes I miss my ventilated seats! I also wish I had 5 seats as opposed to 4.

Old 08-05-08, 08:27 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Why can't the 2IS forum have a calm discussion comparing cars without moderators having to come in and constantly mop up? I've deleted several posts in this thread that don't belong here. We've had repeated moderator warnings to keep it on-topic, yet people still insist on arguing points that have NOTHING to do with the original poster's topic. No more warnings. If you can't restrict your posts to the topic and hand, and do so in a mature manner, the moderator team will gladly help you with your problem.

Javier
Old 08-06-08, 12:36 AM
larrysb
Driver

Man, I've driven both and it is like night and day.

One hint on the IS-F, click it into sport mode, let the engine warm up all the way. Hit the gas and hold it there. It will shift at 6800rpm, go through 1st and 2nd very quickly, then hang in 3 for a little longer. Look at the speedo just when it hits 4th and you're at 100mph+.

The engine is a torque monster, lots of grunt out of the curves.

In normal mode, it's pretty tame.

The IS 350 = domesticated pet car. I mean, it's nice for what it is: entry level luxury with a slightly warmed up powerplant. But no torque, no supportive seats, brakes aren't in the same league as an F.
Old 08-06-08, 09:11 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larrysb
The IS 350 = domesticated pet car. I mean, it's nice for what it is: entry level luxury with a slightly warmed up powerplant. But no torque, no supportive seats, brakes aren't in the same league as an F.
Your post was going fine until it hit the above statement...

I have an IS350 and have driven the IS F on a race track. I have to say that there is not that much difference at the initial acceleration, meaning my butt really can't tell the half second or so 0-60 acceleration difference. However, once the IS F got up to speed then the difference is very clear and that's what the 100+ hp will do to you.

To say that the IS350 has no torque is just plain ridiculous, besides the 335i (really doesn't count in my book since it's TT charged) it has the highest torque output in its segment. That includes the 3.7L V6 in the G37!! Anyone who has put the IS350 into several 0-60 runs will know what you said is as far away as it can be from the truth.

Granted the IS350 isn't in the same league as the IS F but it is definitely no weak sauce especially with the F-sport suspension and sway bars.
Old 08-06-08, 10:26 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ffpower
I have to say that there is not that much difference at the initial acceleration, meaning my butt really can't tell the half second or so 0-60 acceleration difference. However, once the IS F got up to speed then the difference is very clear and that's what the 100+ hp will do to you.
I feel the same. The IS350 is very close in speed from a stop, but once it gets it's fat butt moving it is a monster. I'm guessing the first gear in the IS-F is it's weak point since it doesn't have lock-up like in gears 2-8.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 vs IS-F