IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Buying IS 350 with Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08 | 08:44 AM
DagsIS350
Driver School Candidate

Be patient. Back in 2006 when I bought mine the demand was crazy! (I wanted ML,NAV +LUX pkg) I figured I'd wait...that's hard for me to do. My dealer actually found one in few weeks. I'm sure location plays a big part in it. I'm on the west coast. Good luck and dont settle.
Old 08-07-08 | 09:01 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Unfortunately, if you want new, you're going to have to special order a car with ML. Don't let the dealer fool you about retail pricing on special order cars. The fact is, they don't like to special order cars. If you insist on a special order they will tell you they can't give the same discount. That's rubbish, because they can actually sell the car for less simply because the car doesn't have to be floored (inventoried) They'll say, and do anything to get you to buy out of inventory.

Last edited by IS350jet; 08-07-08 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-07-08 | 09:26 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

When I was looking for my second IS, it took months of searching to find the package I wanted. Even then, I didn't get one with park assist or my original color choice (I wanted another GLACIER FROST), but by then, I was sick of searching. Luckily the car was local and gave me decent money for my trade.

In the end I'm actually very happy with SGM, and glad I pulled the trigger. Looks cleaner now that I added redouts!

But to find a ML equipped used is going to take time. Your best bet is to continue searching cars.com for all new cars that come up, almost daily. My car had probably only been listed for a few days before I bought it. Once you hear Mark Levinson, you simply cannot have it any other way. No its not the BEST destroy all aftermarket system out there, but for a stock system, and for people who like the integration and ease of use, I haven't heard a better stock system(I'm sure the LS460 ML sounds fantastic though).
Old 08-07-08 | 11:47 AM
808_JDM
Driver

[ I haven't heard a better stock system(I'm sure the LS460 ML sounds fantastic though).[/QUOTE]

Yes it does sound very good in the 460. By any chance any of that interchangeble into a is250. I might be able to get parts from a wrecked 460. We also have a ls460 but its in mint condition and needs no parts, so just seeing if anything is interchangable with our is250. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-08 | 01:15 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Unfortunately, if you want new, you're going to have to special order a car with ML. Don't let the dealer fool you about retail pricing on special order cars. The fact is, they don't like to special order cars. If you insist on a special order they will tell you they can't give the same discount. That's rubbish, because they can actually sell the car for less simply because the car doesn't have to be floored (inventoried) They'll say, and do anything to get you to buy out of inventory.
This is 100% true. I had to special order my car with the below options, and was able to get a good deal off. If the dealer is being stubborn, visit another, or call around, and state what you're looking for, at what price.
Old 08-07-08 | 01:17 PM
shawndover
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
This is 100% true. I had to special order my car with the below options, and was able to get a good deal off. If the dealer is being stubborn, visit another, or call around, and state what you're looking for, at what price.
So, for those of you who special-ordered, how much were you able to get off of MSRP (or above invoice)? I haven't been able to get a good sense of this from the pricing thread.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-08 | 01:18 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt it. Their system has similar components, but there are many more speakers and in different locations, so I'm sure the processing and amp are set completely different.

I'm pretty sure the quality of the speakers used are of the same grade and quality though. Not to mention the LS has tons more sound deadening and cabin space to spatialize sound. The ML systems are best left untouched. I wouldn't want to change anything to compromise the integrity of the original sound settings and processing. ML and Lexus created each system to be the best for each vehicle. I know I couldn't do a better job by swapping out components etc.
Old 08-07-08 | 01:26 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by shawndover
So, for those of you who special-ordered, how much were you able to get off of MSRP (or above invoice)? I haven't been able to get a good sense of this from the pricing thread.

Thanks.
For the car that I ordered in my sig, I was able to get $3220 off MSRP. I'm not sure how the IS is selling now, but when they were newer, I knew it was difficult to get some dealers to move from the MSRP. I had a few dealerships who weren't willing to budge, and others who were. It just took some calling and visiting around, but Lexus of Silver Spring ended up giving me the better deal at that time.
Old 08-07-08 | 02:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
For the car that I ordered in my sig, I was able to get $3220 off MSRP. I'm not sure how the IS is selling now, but when they were newer, I knew it was difficult to get some dealers to move from the MSRP. I had a few dealerships who weren't willing to budge, and others who were. It just took some calling and visiting around, but Lexus of Silver Spring ended up giving me the better deal at that time.
I can't say what I paid for my special order exactly, but I certainly wouldn't pay more than 1k over invoice (amount off MSRP is pointless since different options have different markups) and I'd be asking for less.... especially in this economy
Old 08-07-08 | 03:05 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I can't say what I paid for my special order exactly, but I certainly wouldn't pay more than 1k over invoice (amount off MSRP is pointless since different options have different markups) and I'd be asking for less.... especially in this economy
Stating the amount off MSRP was a quick response. At the time, individual part invoices, dealership kickback, and dealership profits were all considered (and now forgotten). Late 05-early 06, it was difficult to get discounts on the vehicle, given it was new and volume was moving. Many people were getting 1k off at best, regardless of the options on the car, and many dealerships wouldn't budge at all.

I'm just making it clear that if the person is special ordering, they most definitely can earn a discount on the car, should they work for it.
Old 08-07-08 | 04:10 PM
jazba
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You bring up a good point. cars aren't selling these days. i remember reading the other day that someone on this forum scored a brand new is350 with ML for 39 out the door! That may not be possible in the DC area but outwards a little bit.
Old 08-07-08 | 06:52 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jazba
You bring up a good point. cars aren't selling these days. i remember reading the other day that someone on this forum scored a brand new is350 with ML for 39 out the door! That may not be possible in the DC area but outwards a little bit.
I remember that thread! i thought that was crazy. I got mines with ML back in 06 for much more than that.

Luckily when i was in search of my IS they had one right off the truck brand new with 9miles on it with ML lux package
Old 08-08-08 | 05:31 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

I have a sports pkg IS350 with just the ML and no nav. This was a special order took 3 months and no discount. ML does sound better than stock. For the minor $1k option, definitely worth it if you enjoy sound quality.
Old 08-08-08 | 08:14 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

It can be hit or miss with ML. In the TX area ML aren't a normal item, yet I found my car with ML sitting on the showroom floor. It was a trade the dealer had done with a dealer in CO. Sometimes you'll get lucky, but you see very few ML equipped cars sitting in dealer stock.
Old 08-08-08 | 08:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

i emailed dealers and the dealer I purchased from happened to have a Sport/ML white/black 350 (exacts spec i wanted) on the lot. Bought it towards the end of the month, got a nice discount off MSRP, no special order or wait. Who knows you might get lucky, just email around, the more dealers the better. Dont be afraid of out of state shipments either.

Price of a special order no discount may sound bad but if you plan to keep teh car for a while it will be worth it considering you get the exact car you want. Any hint of regret because you compromised on getting a car with options or colors you didnt want really hurts. I was prepared to do the special order no discount, but the car found me instead.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 08-08-08 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying IS 350 with Levinson