IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

h.i.d

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08 | 06:25 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Default h.i.d

Why do you guys buy youre H.I.D kits from xenon depot? Theyre so overpriced on my a4 I ordered H.I.D's for my a4 from VVME for a fraction of the price and they are perefect I have them on for over a year and the guy's and audiforums have no prob's with vvme too. VVME single xenon conversion is $45 and bi xenon is $78. You guys should check it out.

VVME.com
Old 08-06-08 | 06:30 PM
loroko
Rookie

thank you 4 the tip
Old 08-06-08 | 06:43 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

There are several reasons why many people order the xenondepot kits over others.

1) They are a forum sponsor, and frequently answer questions
2) DIYs on the forums frequently mention use of this kit, as well as pictures detailing it
3) Positive reviews from forum members.
4) Reputation. They have been around for a long time, and many forums consider the company to be amongst the best quality and worth the heavy sticker price. This was especially true when they sold kits with genuine Phillips parts at a comparatively cheap price. HID planet and other hid forums loved them
5) Customer service. Many people buy expensive kits because they are backed by better customer service then say, an ebay kit.

I'm not sure about the kits they sell now. Without actually testing every component and comparing dozens of hid kits, it's hard to tell whether it's worth the extra coin.

Myself? I bought a cheaper kit for about 130 bucks from mod-express, but I got ill fitting bulbs. After receiving it, and comparing it to some buddies ebay kits, it looks like they're the same anyway.

So many hid kit manufacturers say the same bs (Parts OEM GRADE, parts made in japan and germany, can hit the ballasts with a hammer and face no damage, etc etc.)
It's hard to sort through the mess...

Just my long two cents
Old 08-06-08 | 06:48 PM
triple_c
Pole Position
CL Folding 200000

when i buy a $45 dollar bulb that claims to be from japan, i seriously question the quality of that bulb and everything the vendor tells me. when i buy a xenondepot bulb, i know that everything should be good with it. and if its not, i know i'm covered. that alone is worth every single penny.
Old 08-06-08 | 06:56 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by triple_c
when i buy a $45 dollar bulb that claims to be from japan, i seriously question the quality of that bulb and everything the vendor tells me. when i buy a xenondepot bulb, i know that everything should be good with it. and if its not, i know i'm covered. that alone is worth every single penny.
There are many companies that offer similar guarantees.

My mod-express kit was backed by up to a 3 year warranty (optional), and exemplary customer service. They sent me a new set of bulbs just because the old ones didn't fit properly. I kept the old bulbs as well.
Old 08-06-08 | 06:58 PM
triple_c
Pole Position
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by ELL Y
There are many companies that offer similar guarantees.

My mod-express kit was backed by up to a 3 year warranty (optional), and exemplary customer service. They sent me a new set of bulbs just because the old ones didn't fit properly. I kept the old bulbs as well.
oh i'm sure there are. i didn't mean to exclude any of them, i was just focusing on XD cause thats what the OP asked.
Old 08-06-08 | 07:03 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Fitmant was fantastic for my audi and the ballasts I believe are hella design
Old 08-06-08 | 07:10 PM
lexusjunky
Rookie

totally agree with you.....they are sooo over priced and they don't ship to PO Box address.....their bulb are basically similar to the ones you can find on ebay...a lot cheaper,
Old 08-06-08 | 07:28 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

IBTL...
Old 08-06-08 | 08:35 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

I think if you go to different forums and take a look around different boards have different vendors that most of the members buy from. Doesn't mean any one vendor is BETTER than any others really.. The vendors pay to advertise and post their goods here.
Old 08-06-08 | 10:43 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

it's like saying if you wanna buy a namebrand product or a generic product that's the same thing. you'll probably feel better buying a more expensive product.

xenondepot products are a bit pricey but they have been vouched for and offer great service. you can definately find the same level of service elsewhere but here on the forums they are a sponsor and other members as consumers are exposed to xenondepot more than any other vendor. it's an advertising move.

besides xenondepot has photos of the colors they offer. their 6000k has the best effect out of any other d4s bulbs i've seen from other vendors. at least to my taste. i wouldn't mind buying their 6000k's for that slightly bluer output as opposed to mobileHID's which are a bit purpler from what i've seen. also karamoto garax bulbs from ijdmtoy are a bit aqua colored from what i see. of course they're photos so it could be a camera issue too but spending more with xenondepot guarantees me the exact color i expect.

besides xenondepot quality has been tried and true and sends in new bulbs guaranteed should their be a warrantied failure. nearly all my friends run aftermarket HID kits from ebay. we've had 1 person who was expecting a light blue 6000k that ended up being nearly pure white, another who's bulbs failed in a week or two and others who had unexpected color differences. not that it matters much but it's not exactly what you want.

for my tastes, xenondepot has exactly what i want. good enough for me.
Old 08-07-08 | 08:38 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

i dont see 6000k as slightly bluish...maybe like...very white...that's what i thought 6000k was? :S:S
Old 08-07-08 | 09:46 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure this is giong to be deleted. Looks like your advertising for that company.
Old 08-07-08 | 11:20 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iskcon
I'm pretty sure this is giong to be deleted. Looks like your advertising for that company.
nah im not advertising i just want to save you guys some cash on a product that i find works very well
Old 08-07-08 | 12:27 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by w1ck3d64
i dont see 6000k as slightly bluish...maybe like...very white...that's what i thought 6000k was? :S:S
i find 6000k to be the most variant in all color temperatures. in general 6000k SHOULD be very white with the slightest hint of blue where 5000k is white-white and 4300k is white with the slightest hint of yellow.

i noticed this because we've bought over 10 HID kits from different sellers and sites and all of them are different. That being said, we've had aqua, white-blue, nearly all blue, and white-white light results from the different kits. It's why if you buy 6000k lows and fogs, make sure you buy it from the same seller to get the closest color match

Quick Reply: h.i.d