IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help!! HRE Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 11:03 PM
Drelicious
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! HRE Wheels

I am looking to get some HRE wheels for my IS350, but not sure which to choose. Im going to get 19's staggered, and wanting to get gunmetal with a polished lip. Help me decide one which HRE wheels to get. I am not going to say which ones i am thinking about bc i want to get everyones opinion. Thanks.
Old 08-07-08, 01:26 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

only you can do you...
Old 08-07-08, 02:31 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ LOL! haha
Old 08-07-08, 04:56 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drelicious
I am looking to get some HRE wheels for my IS350, but not sure which to choose. Im going to get 19's staggered, and wanting to get gunmetal with a polished lip. Help me decide one which HRE wheels to get. I am not going to say which ones i am thinking about bc i want to get everyones opinion. Thanks.
I don't have the attention span to navigate away from Club Lexus, visit the HRE website, study all the wheel options, and figure out which one would look good on your IS350.

You'd be better off posting some pics of the wheels you like and creating a poll.
Old 08-07-08, 07:16 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I really like the M40 from their monoblock series, but supposedly they're only available for Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Range Rover and Bentley.

Here's a pic

Old 08-07-08, 12:33 PM
jaredc
Driver School Candidate

Default hre

I had the HRE 449R's 18" and staggered for my audi TT. Great wheels, couple of quick notes. If you are going to get the finish on the wheels (charcoal) make sure you keep ALL chemicals off them, i drove with mine in NY and some salt or something that was left over from winter must have gotten on to them because the peeled TERRIBLY. Also keep air pressure up, these wheels are very SOFT.
Old 08-07-08, 01:35 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely find wheels that are fully forged, after feeling what a difference it makes, I don't think I can ever go back to a basic cast. Just my 2cents BTW in your sig it says you're getting some Racing Hart CR's???

Last edited by iSuxeL; 08-07-08 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-07-08, 02:11 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredc
I had the HRE 449R's 18" and staggered for my audi TT. Great wheels, couple of quick notes. If you are going to get the finish on the wheels (charcoal) make sure you keep ALL chemicals off them, i drove with mine in NY and some salt or something that was left over from winter must have gotten on to them because the peeled TERRIBLY. Also keep air pressure up, these wheels are very SOFT.
Excellent write-up. HRE wheels are very nice, but they are soft and the clear coats can chip easily causing a chain effect in snow/salt areas. Once the clear chips and the salt invades, it is time to refinish the whole wheel, and it is not cheap.
Old 08-07-08, 04:26 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seize
I really like the M40 from their monoblock series, but supposedly they're only available for Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Range Rover and Bentley.

Here's a pic

Actually they are available i just went today to order the same wheel in matt black @ a local wheel shop here in MIA
Old 08-07-08, 05:10 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The "soft" thing is not accurate in my opinion. I had 19" 448Rs for two years and did not have any issues with bending. I kept my tire pressure at 35 psi in front and 32 psi in the rear. The wheels are not softer than any comparable 3 piece wheels on the market. If you run too little or too much air pressure, any wheel is likely to bend. If you hit huge potholes, etc. any wheel will bend.

I cannot speak to the clearcoat holding up to elements because we do not have snow, salt, etc. here. I can say that my friends who have had clearcoat issues had them because carwashes like to spray harsh wheel cleaners and chemicals on wheels. This is a no-no. It eats clearcoat. I would suggest only using soap and water or, worst case scenario, Simple Green.
Old 08-08-08, 10:05 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by link13
The "soft" thing is not accurate in my opinion. I had 19" 448Rs for two years and did not have any issues with bending. I kept my tire pressure at 35 psi in front and 32 psi in the rear. The wheels are not softer than any comparable 3 piece wheels on the market. If you run too little or too much air pressure, any wheel is likely to bend. If you hit huge potholes, etc. any wheel will bend.

I cannot speak to the clearcoat holding up to elements because we do not have snow, salt, etc. here. I can say that my friends who have had clearcoat issues had them because carwashes like to spray harsh wheel cleaners and chemicals on wheels. This is a no-no. It eats clearcoat. I would suggest only using soap and water or, worst case scenario, Simple Green.
Most of HRE's wheels use a rolled rim section that is softer than a forged rim section, its a fact. The centers are machined forged billet aluminum but the rim section hoops are rolled. Those HRE monoblocks pictured above do have a forged rim because it is a single chunk of aluminum that takes a hell of a lot more machining to produce then just a center sandwiched between spun rims and you'll pay for that extra time on the CNC machine and likely find less design options with monoblocks too.

I agree about potholes being able to bend any wheel though, especially over-sized boutique wheels that generally have little tire sidewall to protect them, combine low pressure with a pothole and it is a recipe for damage.

BBS makes some two-piece wheels that do have forged rim sections but many, perhaps most, of the multipiece wheels on the market are rolled rim sections around a forged (or cast) center because it makes it so much easier to produce a range of offsets (and hit a price point) doing it that way.

Last edited by CRB; 08-08-08 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-08-08, 10:18 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRB
Most of HRE's wheels use a rolled rim section that is softer than a forged rim section, its a fact. The centers are machined forged billet aluminum but the rim section hoops are rolled. Those HRE monoblocks pictured above do have a forged rim because it is a single chunk of aluminum that takes a hell of a lot more machining to produce then just a center sandwiched between spun rims and you'll pay for that extra time on the CNC machine and likely find less design options with monoblocks too.

I agree about potholes being able to bend any wheel though, especially boutique wheels that generally have little tire sidewall to protect them, combine low pressure with a pothole and it is a recipe for damage.

BBS makes some two-piece wheels that do have forged rim sections but many, perhaps most, of the multipiece wheels on the market are rolled rim sections around a forged (or cast) center because it makes it so much easier to produce a range of offsets (and hit a price point) doing it that way.
Man can I vouch for that (LOL)!!!
Old 08-08-08, 11:45 AM
Drelicious
Driver

Well probably going to order theis rims tomorrow.

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels.php?q=/890R/891R/
Old 08-08-08, 11:55 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

good choice.
Old 08-08-08, 12:10 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Post pics when you get them. I always love to see HRE wheels.

Quick Reply: Help!! HRE Wheels