IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How did my car come out??? I need your input.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-08, 12:07 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did my car come out??? I need your input.

Ok paint gurus and people with good eyes I need your help!!! So I had my car re-sprayed for some rock damage that it had. I had it painted with a reputable body shop here socal (I won't mention their name yet). Here's what was painted:

Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
Hood
Left & Right Fender
Both Mirrors
Left (Driver's side) rear door

I think the new paint is good. It looks bright, but I do have some concerns about it blending with the old paint. I don't believe the shop did any blending. Again just my thought, I'm no paint expert. The thing I notice the most is when the sun is low, such as in the early morning and late afternoon, the old paint actually looks like a darker black than the new one. The new paint seems to have a yellow glow to it. Again this is only when the light hits the car from a side angle. Let me know what you guys think....

Here's a picture of the whole car:

The front with my new gfx lip

Here's where I need your opinion. Front door has original paint, Rear door was painted.

This one is a good close up of what I'm talking about.

Old 08-09-08, 12:11 PM
Faman21
Rookie

thats a big difference in the close up pictures, but the final product is up to you, depends if you can catch the difference from a couple feet away in direct sunlight.
Old 08-09-08, 12:33 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because Lexus uses different types of paint with different stages, it's really hard to match. Should of painted the entire car.
Old 08-09-08, 12:39 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Faman21
thats a big difference in the close up pictures, but the final product is up to you, depends if you can catch the difference from a couple feet away in direct sunlight.
yeah up close is a huge difference...why not just do the whole car? u got most of it anyways
Old 08-09-08, 01:01 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Thanks for the input guys!! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy!!

Even if you're up close you can only tell when the sun is at an angle (late afternoon, early morning.) You can see it on the pictures because of the flash. Any other time it is somewhat difficult to notice it. I know most of my friends have a hard time noticing it. (But they don't know about cars!! Trust me these guys wash their cars with dish washing soap!!!)

But yeah it is bugging me a little. I don't know if I can blame the shop though cause maybe you guys are right it is difficult to match the paint. I guess even the best shops can't match it perfect.

I might go back and see if I can negotiate anything. Maybe on the driver's side I'll paint the driver's side door and the rear fender portion since you can tell more on that side especially since the driver door was not painted. Or should I just paint the rest of the car?

Maybe I shouldn't have done this!
Old 08-09-08, 01:39 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

repainting will always be off since using different paint means a different shade and using the same paint on an old car doesn't work either since other section's paints would have faded.

go talk to your shop and see if they can do anything about it. the best thing to do is to do a complete repaint so look into that. if nothing can be done, or at least maybe it's more expensive than what you'd want, try polishing and waxing it and see if the glossy effect can cover it up more. i know some of my cars have repainted sections or just new paint in general, at which point the wax's reflective properties make it less noticeable.
Old 08-09-08, 02:10 PM
albert_23
Pole Position

a friend of mine got his lexus painted also. it was the front bumper. although it looks fine, however under the sun, we can actually notice the difference in the front bumper, but only from a certain angle. i heard that it's difficult to match the paint especially if you have the "pearl" color such as tungsten pearl, starfire pearl etc.
Old 08-09-08, 03:00 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Yeah, same as mine. You have to be at a certain angle and the sun at a certain angle. It's weird that the old paint looks blacker than the new paint. My brother thinks that they might have put wax on the old paint to compensate for the new one and that might be the reason why it looks darker. He said maybe when the whole car is waxed evenly it might improve.

Originally Posted by albert_23
a friend of mine got his lexus painted also. it was the front bumper. although it looks fine, however under the sun, we can actually notice the difference in the front bumper, but only from a certain angle. i heard that it's difficult to match the paint especially if you have the "pearl" color such as tungsten pearl, starfire pearl etc.
Old 08-09-08, 03:20 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is often difficult to match metallic and pearl paints. I think it looks good enough and no worries. Lexus did not use great paint one the 2gen. Most members will have some sort of repainting down the road. I had my car for a year and 3 months and it needed the front bumper repainted and possibly the hood.
Old 08-09-08, 04:05 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry you won't be able to tell in most lighting conditions,
my back bumper is darker than the rest of the car and so it my bumper,
they both are stock paint and that's how it came from the dealership.
Old 08-09-08, 04:10 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn you painted all of that just for rock chips?!??! That must've cost a pretty penny.
Old 08-09-08, 04:21 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Went through insurance, so only paid the $500 deductible. Oh and I forgot to mention I also got new headlights and foglights! Yeah it was horrible before the paint. The front bumper felt like sand paper and looked like crap. I felt it was a good time since I wanted to buy the gfx lip and if I would have not painted the bumper it would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Damn you painted all of that just for rock chips?!??! That must've cost a pretty penny.
Old 08-09-08, 05:33 PM
Ikonz350
Lead Lap

wow, that black is wack..
Old 08-09-08, 05:45 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

With different angles all our cars with pearl and metallic will give a different hue of color change...you cant tell too much and at first glance in light most wont tell the difference so dont sweat it...
Old 08-09-08, 07:04 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

I know you're trying to be funny, but what was the point of your post? Wow, what a good way to support the community.

Originally Posted by Ikonz350
wow, that black is wack..

Quick Reply: How did my car come out??? I need your input.