IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sponsorship? scam or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 03:52 PM
is250rida
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sponsorship? scam or not?

So I was bored one night and I came across this ad online that gets you sponsorships for your car. The company is called SCP (Sports Compact Pro)

Here's the catch. It's $135 annual membership fee. They give you a $10,000 co-op account and access to "member only" info on their site. They give you a parts manager to help you with parts for your car. They said they work with all the major brands like AEM, K&N, HKS, Greddy, etc. But the discounts range from 30% - 80%

I was trying to see if anyone had any info on them, whether it's legit or not before I throw $135 away.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-08, 04:00 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you came on here to post, then you must have went

"Ohh shieeet that sound like such a sweet deal... nahhhhh cant be true. Lemme ask CL what they think"

If you said that, then you must have thought it sounds too good to be true.

If its too good to be true, then its most likely a scam

Imagine all the ricer in the world wants money to mod their Civic and Tegs', the amount of $135 adds together quickly.

EDIT

You should of mention they want you to go out to the meets too.

Last edited by mikez; 08-11-08 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-11-08, 04:15 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

well that sounds like a regular sponsorship but if they dont say must go to their meets then its a scam most likely. i have a friend who got his car sponsored but its real but he must go to every meet or car show they are in.
Old 08-11-08, 04:41 PM
is250rida
Driver

yeah they said i have to attend at least 3 show/race meets

but I what I want to know is how good are these discounts...
Old 08-11-08, 05:10 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

depending on the parts you are looking at, he $135 may pay for itseld in a relatively short period of time. however, read the contract carefully before agreeing to anything. like what has been said above, if it sounds to good to be true - it is.
Old 08-11-08, 07:51 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

yeah it depends on what you're going to buy and the contract details.

3 meets/race events is easy but how far is it? that's transportation costs. also when you get parts if it's a 30% off of an exhaust thats $800, that's $240 off, paid for itself.
Old 08-11-08, 08:15 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading the first thread on google for "sports compact pro"

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t329936.html

I would personally stay away after reading that lol. too many people going back and forth. Some say scam some dont.

I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

Last edited by PaPaHoFF; 08-11-08 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-12-08, 06:18 AM
shadow191
Pole Position

Is it a scam? Not really, more like a discount club for your car. You get decent deals, but it's not a true sponsorship. I used to work with one of their competitors actually, carsponsorships.com We were one of the vendors they worked with. So the people they sponsored did get a really good deal from us on the parts we made; but there were no real qualifications for sponsorship. A certain number of cars that they worked with did get free parts from us. These were the ones who could commit to being at some of the bigger shows like HIN.

That's just my point of view. We had certain cars that we actually sponsored; they had to do a certain number of shows and send us pictures, be available for photo shoots and so on. These were usually the crazy show cars; we didn't sponsor people until they had actually done a ton of work already. Then we had the carsponsorships cars. They basically sent us a list of the cars they had and where to send the parts to. That was about it; we didn't do anything beyond that. So I didn't consider those cars as sponsored. It was more like we were working with Carsponsorships.com.

If you're interested in going down this road, Carsponsorships.com is probably a better way to go. They were always easy to work with on my end, and I remember that their deals are usually far better than SCO. Plus you actually have the shot at getting free stuff. They're in tight with the company that runs HIN, so they have big booths at all HIN's.

Originally Posted by is250rida
So I was bored one night and I came across this ad online that gets you sponsorships for your car. The company is called SCP (Sports Compact Pro)

Here's the catch. It's $135 annual membership fee. They give you a $10,000 co-op account and access to "member only" info on their site. They give you a parts manager to help you with parts for your car. They said they work with all the major brands like AEM, K&N, HKS, Greddy, etc. But the discounts range from 30% - 80%

I was trying to see if anyone had any info on them, whether it's legit or not before I throw $135 away.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-08, 07:32 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shadow191
Is it a scam? Not really, more like a discount club for your car. You get decent deals, but it's not a true sponsorship. I used to work with one of their competitors actually, carsponsorships.com We were one of the vendors they worked with. So the people they sponsored did get a really good deal from us on the parts we made; but there were no real qualifications for sponsorship. A certain number of cars that they worked with did get free parts from us. These were the ones who could commit to being at some of the bigger shows like HIN.

That's just my point of view. We had certain cars that we actually sponsored; they had to do a certain number of shows and send us pictures, be available for photo shoots and so on. These were usually the crazy show cars; we didn't sponsor people until they had actually done a ton of work already. Then we had the carsponsorships cars. They basically sent us a list of the cars they had and where to send the parts to. That was about it; we didn't do anything beyond that. So I didn't consider those cars as sponsored. It was more like we were working with Carsponsorships.com.

If you're interested in going down this road, Carsponsorships.com is probably a better way to go. They were always easy to work with on my end, and I remember that their deals are usually far better than SCO. Plus you actually have the shot at getting free stuff. They're in tight with the company that runs HIN, so they have big booths at all HIN's.
Now I myself tried CarSponsorships and they said yeah your qualified blah blah. Telling me I am sponsored and **** and it says they wont charge you until you are sponsored by someone. Needless to say I never got the stuff in the mail I was promised and I had to do a chargeback with my CC since they never responded when I contacted them.

I did however see a really nice SC at HIN NY with CarSponsorships decals on it.
Old 08-12-08, 08:01 AM
illmike
Lead Lap

your best bet is just to hit up the companys like AEM, K&N etc...directly with a proposal.
Old 08-12-08, 09:43 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

who needs sponsors? most of them are just a pain in the ****in ***.

Just do ur own ish one part at a time.
Old 08-12-08, 12:15 PM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

they are scams, especially carsponsorships.com. Stay away from both and do what Mike suggests, just personally hit up the aftermarket companies for sponsorships.
Old 08-12-08, 01:38 PM
shadow191
Pole Position

Having worked with Carsponsorships.com, I know they're not a scam. But they and SCO can be misleading. Because at least with Carsponsorships.com, they say that they won't bill you until they find you a sponsor. But the thing was, if you signed up, technically you already had a sponsor. ie, everyone that signed up with them automatically got a 50% discount from us and the other companies that worked with them. Carsponsorships considered that a sponsorship and I suppose that could be considered a partial sponsorship. But only a handful of cars got free parts from us through them.

You are right though, it's just easier to hit up companies directly. When we were building the cars, we were sponsored by probably over 20 companies like AEM, NX, Holley, Audiobahn, JBL, Valvoline and so on. We just went directly to them at shows or called up their marketing departments. But back then it was easier to get sponsorships, they all had bigger budgets. Plus they knew that we would be at most of the major shows because of the business and my wife's car at least had a magazine feature. These days, I don't envy people trying to get sponsored. It takes a lot, and most of the companies would rather deal with people they know. So many of the show cars these days are built by the same people. I would say it's just easier to buy the parts yourself.

Originally Posted by trinityhk
they are scams, especially carsponsorships.com. Stay away from both and do what Mike suggests, just personally hit up the aftermarket companies for sponsorships.
Old 08-12-08, 06:06 PM
M1_ASPT1
Banned for NON PAYMENT

Default Sponsors

I will 100% vouch for Car sponsorships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats why Companies like Blaupunkt, Dunlop, Fidenza, Alsa and many more.........

I used them for over 5 years!
They help me get over 20k in parts for my other show car, you might remember it it was on the cover of Import Tuner in 2006 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want to go on record and saw thanks to Ragen and all the boys at CS!

Here is Modified feature!

works for me!