IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help!! I Have Afs (adaptive Light System) Want 8000k! What Bulb I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 10:18 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! I Have Afs (adaptive Light System) Want 8000k! What Bulb I Need?

i been having trouble figuring out what bulb my 2008 is 250 with AFS option takes.

I thought it was h11-55w but thats if i dont have the special option for the headlights. (BUT I DO SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT BULB IT TAKES)

can someone give me a difinitive answer? and maybe a link to a decent 8000k bulb that fits that type?

thanks guys!
Old 08-13-08, 10:28 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

sounds like u got HIDs....D4S or D4C HID bulb will be fine
Old 08-13-08, 10:37 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

D4S would be the way to go, i wouldnt recommend going with 8k though - unless you are doing just for the color. 6k would be a better combination of improved looks and visibility over stock.
Old 08-13-08, 10:40 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

sweet !!!

well not so sweet cus i already ordered the h11 55w 8000k ... oh well...

anyone interested their like 15 bucks or less..lol

anyway...thanks guys!

is replacing it the same as replacing the daytime driving lights/high beams? or is it diff cus its a HID?

basically is it any different steps to replacing a D4S than a h11 ???

Last edited by leo_k; 08-13-08 at 10:41 AM. Reason: mistake clicked on thumbs down :(
Old 08-13-08, 10:41 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Go to your car with the headlights on, and if you hear a buzzing noise then you have HID's which should be D4S

Parking lights are a 194 BULB ( so get a LED)

DRLS/High beams are a 9005 bulb
Old 08-13-08, 11:05 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

i already switched out everything except the d4s bulb...

when i turn my car on the lights go up then down then level out...and they are def d4s so...

next question is:

would you say its ok to get :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D4S-H...Z1218650442792

if im only having the car for another 16 months....these are a little cheaper than the premiums, and i will throw them away after i give the lexus back anyway.

or do you think they will cuase problem/will need to be replaced before i give car back if i get the ones up top?

my other choices are:

http://www.ijdmtoy.com/webpage/products/d4.htm

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Xtreme_HID.../xt-d4s-8k.htm

but their more expensive, not by much but after findig all costs for mods on the car it adds up to $$$$ so i rather go cheaper cus its only for a short period. I just dont want to ruin (or rather have to pay for anything when i give it back) anything.

Has anyone used or know anyone who baught the EBAY ones?

any info is appreciated! thanks guys!
Old 08-13-08, 11:20 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

i have the ijdmtoy's not the garax but the karamoto ones...my friend has the garax and it seems ok =)
Old 08-13-08, 11:26 AM
LEXMAN350
Pole Position

I would go for xenon depot 6000k.

They are little on the expensive side but they stand behind their product and warranty. The little extra you pay you get quality service.
Old 08-13-08, 11:53 AM
IceZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXMAN350
I would go for xenon depot 6000k.

They are little on the expensive side but they stand behind their product and warranty. The little extra you pay you get quality service.
Yep XenonDepot after you return the car you could always just sell the bulbs on here and get some cash back.
Old 08-13-08, 12:06 PM
leo_k
Pole Position

i decided to go with the JDMtoy 8000k. I really like the look of the 8000k. I think 6000k is not worth cus it looks so similar to the stock hids that come with AFS option.

Anyone have links to any good guides on best way to get the bulb in the actual headlight? I did replace the other bulbs already , but they wernt HID, anything i need to watch out for? what should i grip the bulbs with? a soft cloth? or dont even touch it with that? only touch the base? any help appreciated!

thanks guys!
Old 08-13-08, 12:20 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^what he said
Old 08-13-08, 12:48 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Put on some latex gloves before you touch the bulb. That's the only "careful" part you should worry about.

In order to get to the lowbeams you must remove all 3 engine covers. If you don't know how to do this, take a pen or pencil and push the tabs in. You can just lift them off after they're pushed. Reverse to put them back on. You must then remove the washer fluid tube by unbolting the the top "holster" (you'll see it) with a wrench and just pull the tube upward. Then you can take off the cover and change it (this step is in the owner's manual).

On the passenger side, you should take out the intake airbox by unbolting it and removing the sensors unless you have hands small enough to reach the bulbs then you can just leave it. Other than that, just don't touch the bulbs with your barehands and careful not to lose the engine cover tabs
Old 08-13-08, 02:41 PM
TinCan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the helpful people on here
Old 08-14-08, 07:50 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

yea i hate that you have to remove that stuff to get to the lights.....i did the day driving before so i know how to get to them just wanted to know if you could get around removing the parts...i dont think my hands fit last time. Bah oh well...

is it possible to switch out the turn signal bulb/or the yellow reflector that makes it look yellow? or you would have to take the headlight apart and put it back together custom...?
Old 08-14-08, 09:06 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leo_k
yea i hate that you have to remove that stuff to get to the lights.....i did the day driving before so i know how to get to them just wanted to know if you could get around removing the parts...i dont think my hands fit last time. Bah oh well...

is it possible to switch out the turn signal bulb/or the yellow reflector that makes it look yellow? or you would have to take the headlight apart and put it back together custom...?
there's a DIY thread on how to take out the reflector...just search...it's there

it involves taking out the front bumper and then taking off the headlight housing and everything...imo, it's not really a DIY cause it's ***** to put everything back together (ahh it's always fun to rip things apart )

Quick Reply: Help!! I Have Afs (adaptive Light System) Want 8000k! What Bulb I Need?