Sharkfin Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 11:14 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts
Default Sharkfin Question

Hi all,

Just checking. If I bought my 07 without the XM, will the sharkfin have an antenna in it? I got Sirius installed by the dealer and they put the huge antenna on the windshield (which is a big no according to Sirius) and wanted to know if I had to buy a new antenna to put in there in order to route the wire to the fin.

Edit: I'll be using the Vaistech sharkfin adapter.

Last edited by Allen K; 08-14-08 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-14-08, 11:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Hi all,

Just checking. If I bought my 07 without the XM, will the sharkfin have an antenna in it? I got Sirius installed by the dealer and they put the huge antenna on the windshield (which is a big no according to Sirius) and wanted to know if I had to buy a new antenna to put in there in order to route the wire to the fin.
Yes your sharkfin is an antenna.

But it's an XM antenna, not a Sirius one. If you bought the Lexus XM kit it'd plug right in. The Sirius unit does not.

There is a 3rd party adapter for like 75 bucks I think that will let the Sirius unit use the XM sharkfin though.

Anymore I recommend people just buy the XM unit, it installs much cleaner and easier, is totally plug and play, and in a couple of months you'll be able to get either programming on either unit thanks to the merger.
Old 08-14-08, 11:24 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 726 Likes on 499 Posts

Edited the first post to show that I already bought the Vaistech adapter. I've already had Sirius for over a year. I heard it for 3 months, liked it and got the lifetime subscription. I'm a bit worried about the merger because they're pretty tight lipped about how lifetime members are going to be affected. As long as I get my usual channels I'll be fine

Thanks for the quick response Kurtz
Old 08-15-08, 06:47 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Anymore I recommend people just buy the XM unit, it installs much cleaner and easier, is totally plug and play, and in a couple of months you'll be able to get either programming on either unit thanks to the merger.
The part about the programming content post-merger isn't entirely true. If you buy the XM hardware and wait, you'll be able to subscribe to a "best of Sirius" package for an additional $4.04/month above the regular 12.95/mo price. If you want all of Sirius, you'll either need to buy the Sirius radio, or buy one of the combined radios that the merged company plans to market in the near future.
Old 08-15-08, 08:21 AM
OH-MAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealership hooked up the sharkfin to the sirius after we went through two of the silly stick it in the window ant. were not working out.

I gave them the info on the adpt. and they liked it. They plan on using it on future installs.
Had it in for apx. a month now and works great even in high heat temps in our summer.
Old 08-15-08, 08:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
The part about the programming content post-merger isn't entirely true. If you buy the XM hardware and wait, you'll be able to subscribe to a "best of Sirius" package for an additional $4.04/month above the regular 12.95/mo price. If you want all of Sirius, you'll either need to buy the Sirius radio, or buy one of the combined radios that the merged company plans to market in the near future.
The $4.04 additional isn't exactly true either... there's supposedly going to be a $14.99/mo package for 100 channels you pick, including the "best of" stuff from Sirius... that's only $2.04 more, and I doubt anybody listens to more than 100 channels on either service.

Apart from which, who actually pays full price? There's numerous threads online about how to get the service at half price, which is all I've ever paid for it.

Regardless, I'd happily pay an extra $2/mo to have a simple install that doesn't open up my dash, cut into my carpet, or require a $75 antenna adapter.