IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The "Event" = Cheapening Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 05:29 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Event" = Cheapening Lexus

Is it just me or is how Lexus is marketing themselves these days really cheapening the image of Lexus. Not to be an elitist but one of the things I like about driving a Lexus is the word that they use to describe themselves all the time... it gives the impression of "prestige". But, if you look at their latest commercials they show masses going to the dealerships and driving off with Lexus vehicles. Seems to me to cheapen the image and now I just have the same car that everyone else does.

I still love my car... but the class of people who typically drive luxury cars don't want to be a part of the "masses" Lexus!!

(Then again, BMW and Mercedes have done the same thing to their image as well... ugh. I guess it is a sign of out times when everyone buys things they can't afford these days.)
Old 08-25-08, 05:45 AM
MARINE
Driver

Ah, I make a good living that allows me to drive two lexus. In fact I purchased all four of my Lexus during the Event and December to Remember sales. To get great leases during those periods, you still have to qualify and have a min beacon of 735+ to even get the Tier one rates. Sure you can get a lexus with tier 2 and 3 at wayyyyyyyy higher lease payments. I always put zero down knowing I two years I am going to trade it in. That reminds me I am off to the Lex dealership tonight to trade in my 07 RX.

I have always had a lease payment since 1988 and its my vice to drive new cars every 2-3 years.

Cheapen, I beg to differ. Savings, why not, its my money.

Last edited by MARINE; 08-25-08 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-25-08, 05:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its called advertising, everyone does it

next
Old 08-25-08, 06:15 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's still pretty low key advertising. It's not the shouting, blow out kind of advertising your local GM/Ford/Chrysler dealer uses. I have no problem with it.
Old 08-25-08, 09:04 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Oh, I have no problem with the concept of Lexus having "Sales" and other advertising events like this. I too bought my car during such an event (not because of the event itself, though... the timing was just right and I had already decided to get a new car way before I even knew said event was going to happen)

I guess it is just how they portrayed this event in the commercial with hundreds upon hundreds of people walking through the dealership and driving away with a car.

But yes - it is still more low key than the "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!" commercials.
Old 08-25-08, 09:20 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Um...have you looked around? There are masses of people that drive an ISX50. I usually pass at least 5 every morning going to work. Sorry the masses were already out there before the "Event".
Old 08-25-08, 09:28 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Living in SoCal, every car with an "affordable monthly payment" seems like it is for the masses. Five on the way to work? Hell I'm 1 of 5 2ISs at my job. In other words, I'm over it. It's not like they advertise the actual lease rates or anything.
Old 08-25-08, 09:29 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These events are primarily devised to move inventory and improve year end fiscal figures for Lexus. Yes, it is marketing, but it seems to work. As for cheapening the image, that can be said for Nissan in the past who appeared to dominate the automotive marketing realm with goofy expensive commercials, paying royalties for major songs, etc. That is not to say Nissan is not a good car, but these methods sell cars and cost the manufacturers an establshed amount of money in their budgets for this.
Old 08-25-08, 09:32 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

They need to sell cars, simple as that.

It doesnt matter if they sell it to a guy who has 1.2 million in his bank account, or somebody who can barely make the payments. A unit sold is a unit sold.
Old 08-25-08, 09:39 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

with one Lexus dealer in my state i suppose it is easier for me to feel like my car is a little more prestigous than others. it seems that whenever i see another IS on the road it is being driven by a female....
Old 08-25-08, 09:45 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If paying more would make you feel a little more important, then I'm sure Lexus would oblige you.
Old 08-25-08, 09:47 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

this thread makes me laugh....
Old 08-25-08, 10:14 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With Accords, Camrys, Avalons all costing in the $30K range on certain models, the masses already can afford a few thousand more for certain Lexus cars. The Lexus ES350, IS250, RX350 and such are all cars for the masses and there are a lot of so called regular cars from non Luxury manufacturers that cost as much or more.

None of this should matter. All that matters is that you enjoy the car you bought. Buying a car just for the badge on the hood doesn't really make that much sense either.
Old 08-25-08, 10:28 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

People complain about the darnest things these days....LOL

amagine if he drove an LS..LOL let alone a IS...
Old 08-25-08, 11:07 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's Lexus getting there name out there....

Quick Reply: The "Event" = Cheapening Lexus