IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to the Forums! (Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 11:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dangy
Hey guys I just thought I might introduce myself. Im John and I just picked up my 2006 is350 about a week ago. Got it for $29,000 OTD with about 30k miles. I love the car so far but having some trouble using the paddle shifts cause of the lag, any advice? Its stock right now and Im not planing to do much except rims, drop, and maybe a CAI

Heres some pics. Im no photographer...a matter a fact i kinda suck...

And here's some pics of my bro's 350z with Volks te37's on.

Looking great there!!! Congrats! But that interior grease is the worst thing for your dash! I can't believe dealerships still think it's 1990. =(
Old 08-26-08, 07:52 AM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Looking great there!!! Congrats! But that interior grease is the worst thing for your dash! I can't believe dealerships still think it's 1990. =(

Whats so bad about it? Its just ArmorAll and i also put a sun visor up whenever i leave my car.
Old 08-26-08, 08:45 AM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ikonz350
welcome 2 club lexus, hot car man. tell ur brother to give u his wheels =D
Already did! He said no....mayb I should just take em off and keep em on my car for 2 years and I'll put em back on the Z when he comes back. He'll never know
Old 08-26-08, 08:55 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya! as with everyone else the paddle shifters are just for decoration IMO.
That was the first thing I played with when I got my car
unfortunately with so much lag the fun died in 10min.
Welcome to CL...I see you have a short list of mods...
I suggest you limit yourself here...or else your mod list will grow..and grow...and grow...
Old 08-26-08, 10:26 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dangy
Whats so bad about it? Its just ArmorAll and i also put a sun visor up whenever i leave my car.

I'll be glad to shed some light...

1) Modern cars now try to include low-gloss dash surfaces and plastics. The high gloss look was in during the 70's and 80's. It runs hand and hand with cheap-looking interiors and materials.
2) High gloss ontop the dash causes reflections on the windshield, which impairs vision.
3) The "grease" from the Armor-All gets all over the place, like on surfaces you need to grip (the steering wheel or shifter). This can cause a hazard while driving.
4) The "grease" spreads around to surfaces like the leather... which breaks it down and can accelerate cracking. Only leather-safe liquids and cleaners should touch leather.
5) The layer of "grease" from Armor-All will end up attracting major amounts of dust to stick to everything. This makes the interior of the car dirty and increases the amount of work you'll have to do to clean it.
6) Dealers often put this goop on to hide scuff marks, scratches, and make everything look uniform. If an interior was clean and well-taken care of, it would never need an additive to hide the flaws. It's a red flag sometimes.

Hope this helped! And congrats once more on your new toy!
Old 08-26-08, 03:59 PM
Angela
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!

I just bought an IS not long ago too!
Old 08-27-08, 10:00 AM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'll be glad to shed some light...

1) Modern cars now try to include low-gloss dash surfaces and plastics. The high gloss look was in during the 70's and 80's. It runs hand and hand with cheap-looking interiors and materials.
2) High gloss ontop the dash causes reflections on the windshield, which impairs vision.
3) The "grease" from the Armor-All gets all over the place, like on surfaces you need to grip (the steering wheel or shifter). This can cause a hazard while driving.
4) The "grease" spreads around to surfaces like the leather... which breaks it down and can accelerate cracking. Only leather-safe liquids and cleaners should touch leather.
5) The layer of "grease" from Armor-All will end up attracting major amounts of dust to stick to everything. This makes the interior of the car dirty and increases the amount of work you'll have to do to clean it.
6) Dealers often put this goop on to hide scuff marks, scratches, and make everything look uniform. If an interior was clean and well-taken care of, it would never need an additive to hide the flaws. It's a red flag sometimes.

Hope this helped! And congrats once more on your new toy!

Thanks for the advice, but i like the way armor all makes my dash looks. ive always used it, and it never touches my leather. I have leather conditioner for that. Thanks alot tho!