IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Car is DESTROYED

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 10:22 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tqlla3k,
I guess if the insurance company goes along with it, it is not fraud. They’ll just adjust the insured rates (and perhaps everyone's) next year accordingly, for they’re not in the business of loosing money.

As far as the extra nav screen, for the life of me, I wouldn’t know what to do with it. In my case I have an extended warranty so the original would be repaired or replaced as long as I own the car. When the warranty runs out in about seven years it’s time for a new Lexus. Sell it on EBay? I wouldn’t bother. But perhaps it would make a good garage paper weight.
Old 08-29-08, 10:35 AM
burton159
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sorry at least ur good but u cant take the car back
Old 08-29-08, 11:52 AM
is350matic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LIS350A
Glad you are not hurt. I hope it's totaled.
So just the passenger side airbag went off or both?
Both front airbags went off although I did not have any passenger. I was going 45mph when the guy made a left turn in front of me (he's trying to make left). I don't think he saw me because I saw him looking at the direction he was heading.

Guys, thanks for the kind words. Initial estimate came in at 21K to fix. It is probably going to be more. They are looking at around $30K before they total it because they are valueing my car at around $38K. If it comes in at around $27 or $28K to fix it, I will remind them that I will require diminished value and plus renting a car which should push it over the edge.

Last edited by is350matic; 10-09-08 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-29-08, 12:54 PM
AKIS350
Driver

DUDE THAT SUCKS..
The car would need alot of work as time goes on..
More and more problems would pop up.
Atleast your ok..
Take what every you can and sell it..if its totaled
Old 08-29-08, 05:21 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by is350matic
They are looking at around $30K before they total it because they are valueing my car at around $38K. If it comes in at around $27 or $28K to fix it, I will remind them that I will require diminished value and plus renting a car which should push it over the edge.
Good luck with that. It's gonna be tough to get enough diminished value to push it over the edge, but you're an engineer and knowing engineers, I've got faith you'll find enough documentation to get them to total it. I estimate only about $1000 in rental charges (they're not gonna give you a Lexus to rent).
Old 10-05-08, 08:07 AM
is350matic
Pole Position

Default Spoke to soon, not TOTALED

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and also would like to apologize for not replying on any pm. I was busy at work (the accident happened the day I survive a layoff where about half of the engineering department got let go), and I was also bumb when they (my own insurance) that they will fix the car. The estimate came in at around 24K.

I'm feeling well now, especially after looking at the car at the shop. The damage did not hit the engine. Basically, any structures from the firewall up is getting replaced. The interior will almost be brand new, the only originals will be door panels, back seat and center console; the rest get replaced because all the airbags (including the sides one), seat belts (fronts and backs) and the front seats are getting replaced. The interior was gotted due tot the fix they have to do at the front. The front frame member is getting replaced at OEM location, at the firewall. The shop is fairly decent, they fix mostly high end cars. When I was there, they were fixing a ferrari and a bently.

I went thru my insurance (Allstate) since I did not want to wait for the other insurnace (USAA) to determine who is at fault. In AZ, insurance have 30 days from the time of the accident to determine who's at fault. It took USAA three weeks to determine their client is at fault but they threw me curve ball. Their property damage limits is around 25K, they could not say since the other driver did not relase it to me. This included fixing the car; car rental; my deductable reimbursement (since I went thru my insurance first); and diminished value (DV) claim. This would have severly limited my DV claim but Allstate steped up, they told USAA to pay me in full for what ever the DV would be; and Allstate will pay for any difference in fixing the car. My insurance is not going to go up since I have accident forgiveness plan and it was not my fault.

My question is how much DV claim should I file. The car value is around $35.5K (with tax is $38K-39K). I was looking at the KBB for trade-in and it was at $29K and private sale for $$32.5K. I was told the car whole sale value after the fix is $18-$19K. I was told DV is the difference between trade-in and whole sale; that would make it $15K - $10K. I'm thinking of filing for the max, $15K, what you guys think? I already got my personal injury caim.

If the car is fixed properly, which it look like it will, I will keep the car.

Last edited by is350matic; 10-05-08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 10:36 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

should have mentioned this before but you should sue that guy into oblivion.
Old 10-05-08, 11:02 AM
maxnix
Driver

Angry Teach This Fool

Their property damage limits is around 25K, they could not say since the other driver did not relase it to me.
That is his limit, not theirs. Sue his careless cheap azz!
Old 10-05-08, 06:55 PM
1_alterdis
Pole Position

Sue his ARSSSSSS!
Old 10-05-08, 11:50 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dang man. it hurts to see it. as long as ur ok.
Old 10-06-08, 03:23 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Hahahaha, you think they are going to get him an 09... when he had an 06?

The NAV+ML option costs $4000... how much is it worth on a used car? Here is a hint... $700. Its worthwhile to get those parts if you can(without having to buy the car back)

If you dont want to tell them that you installed it yourself... then just tell them you want it back for XYZ reason. It doesnt matter what the reason is.
you are easily the cheapest person on this planet. congrats. i know there's a recession but give me a break.
Old 10-06-08, 01:36 PM
Paranormal
Driver

I will find out in the next couple of days from the insurance adjustor? I T-boned the guy at about 45mph.
Glad to hear that your ok!

Your car should be totaled based on the pics i see. 45mph would cause major damage.

1. If there is frame damage which there is a 95% chance

2. Front bumber, front fender, hood, headlights, fog lights

Right there your over $5000 in parts and we havent even started talking about frame damage or painting.

I totaled my 1IS and it never drove the same. Dont take the car back !!
If you financed the car i hope you have GAP insurance.
Old 10-06-08, 01:44 PM
Paranormal
Driver

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and also would like to apologize for not replying on any pm. I was busy at work (the accident happened the day I survive a layoff where about half of the engineering department got let go), and I was also bumb when they (my own insurance) that they will fix the car. The estimate came in at around 24K.

I'm feeling well now, especially after looking at the car at the shop. The damage did not hit the engine. Basically, any structures from the firewall up is getting replaced. The interior will almost be brand new, the only originals will be door panels, back seat and center console; the rest get replaced because all the airbags (including the sides one), seat belts (fronts and backs) and the front seats are getting replaced. The interior was gotted due tot the fix they have to do at the front. The front frame member is getting replaced at OEM location, at the firewall. The shop is fairly decent, they fix mostly high end cars. When I was there, they were fixing a ferrari and a bently.

I went thru my insurance (Allstate) since I did not want to wait for the other insurnace (USAA) to determine who is at fault. In AZ, insurance have 30 days from the time of the accident to determine who's at fault. It took USAA three weeks to determine their client is at fault but they threw me curve ball. Their property damage limits is around 25K, they could not say since the other driver did not relase it to me. This included fixing the car; car rental; my deductable reimbursement (since I went thru my insurance first); and diminished value (DV) claim. This would have severly limited my DV claim but Allstate steped up, they told USAA to pay me in full for what ever the DV would be; and Allstate will pay for any difference in fixing the car. My insurance is not going to go up since I have accident forgiveness plan and it was not my fault.

My question is how much DV claim should I file. The car value is around $35.5K (with tax is $38K-39K). I was looking at the KBB for trade-in and it was at $29K and private sale for $$32.5K. I was told the car whole sale value after the fix is $18-$19K. I was told DV is the difference between trade-in and whole sale; that would make it $15K - $10K. I'm thinking of filing for the max, $15K, what you guys think? I already got my personal injury caim.

If the car is fixed properly, which it look like it will, I will keep the car.
I would take the $15k, Get it fixed and sell it private party.

THEN SUE HIS A$$!!!
Old 10-06-08, 02:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paranormal
Glad to hear that your ok!

Your car should be totaled based on the pics i see. 45mph would cause major damage.

1. If there is frame damage which there is a 95% chance

2. Front bumber, front fender, hood, headlights, fog lights

Right there your over $5000 in parts and we havent even started talking about frame damage or painting.

I totaled my 1IS and it never drove the same. Dont take the car back !!
If you financed the car i hope you have GAP insurance.

I had an accident last spring--swerved away from an oncoming car in my lane, and hit a 12" high curb. No frame damage, just front bumper, grille, reservior, ONE headlight, and some other stuff. No tire damage, no hood damage, no side fenders. They even could re-use the headlamp washers. Final cost: $9,500.

Diminshed value will be a problem. If your state doesn't have a formula for it (Penna did not, when I made my claim), your own insurance company may not cover it--check you policy. That would be something you'd have to sue the other driver for.
Old 10-06-08, 09:46 PM
kuo246
Rookie

at least your ok!

Quick Reply: My Car is DESTROYED