IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which car to get- WI driving
IS350 loaded and modded
39.06%
IS-F
60.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

He's BAAACK (sorta)... CL, help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 06:26 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool He's BAAACK (sorta)... CL, help me decide...

Hey guys, as many know it was painful to trade my IS but times changed then, and they are changing now. If you've been over on Car Chat you know I've been debating which car to get next ( Which car for $60K) . After much debate, test drives (30+) I am back to my favorite car, the IS (WHY CHANGE??!!!)

So.... my choices: IS350 loaded and modded out or an IS-F. Before everyone screams "IS-F, you FOOL!!", a couple points:

I'm in WI, suspension will be rough on these busted roads and wheels will take a pounding so.... and it will be a daily driver and there will be mostly highway miles.

No matter which way I go, I will be getting Work Varianza 19 x 8.5s all the way around on Toyo Proxy4s all-seasons for rotating purposes. Thx to Derrick at D2 Autoparts for the great info!!!

IS350- will drop on either Eibachs or Teins, Tanabe distant third choice.

If I go IS350 will mod with kits (lip, spoilers, sides) and new exhaust ( probably Tanabe over HKS). Defintely getting another JoeZ.

Mazurri- what the latest on headers for IS350? Haven't checked lately...

Still not feeling the dual exhaust on IS-F.

Color choices:
IS350- Tungsten Pearl, Starfire Pearl, or Glacier Frost Mica
IS-F- Mercury Metallic or Obsidian

So there it is... I have time to prep this so will take my time to get the right set-up before purchasing. I want a unique ride that you don't see everyday (haven't seen a single IS-F here yet, but not many ISx50s either) As always, all your posts are greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-28-08, 06:44 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Moderators, just want to see poll results, no need on who voted where... thx...

Last edited by rdgdawg; 08-28-08 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-28-08, 06:50 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Both IS-F and IS350 are good cars. It's all up to how much you want to spend on your car. I've driven the IS-F a few times both on the road and on the track. I love the fact that you can cruise in the IS-F and have a normal "lexus" feel, however, once you open up the throttle, it becomes a totally different car. Some would tend to say that IS-F is not a good daily driver. For me, that car is tame enough to drive around the city and if I want to have fun at the track, I have that option at the same time.

If you do decide to get the IS350, you might as well wait for the 09 models. There'll be some significant changes. And if you don't like the face-lift, then you can probably pick up an 08 model for a good price. The last time I check the Mazurri headers, there're still some issues with CEL. Hopefully, that will get squared away. You can't go wrong with either one. Good luck with your purchase and let the mods begin.

Terrance
Old 08-28-08, 07:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After much consideration, I prefer my modded IS over the IS-F.

I almost sold mine and special ordered an IS-F. But alas, CL has shown that a modded IS350 is more unique and possibly handles better than the IS-F, although it may not be as fast.
Old 08-28-08, 08:00 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T-Rex06
Both IS-F and IS350 are good cars. It's all up to how much you want to spend on your car. I've driven the IS-F a few times both on the road and on the track. I love the fact that you can cruise in the IS-F and have a normal "lexus" feel, however, once you open up the throttle, it becomes a totally different car. Some would tend to say that IS-F is not a good daily driver. For me, that car is tame enough to drive around the city and if I want to have fun at the track, I have that option at the same time.

If you do decide to get the IS350, you might as well wait for the 09 models. There'll be some significant changes. And if you don't like the face-lift, then you can probably pick up an 08 model for a good price. The last time I check the Mazurri headers, there're still some issues with CEL. Hopefully, that will get squared away. You can't go wrong with either one. Good luck with your purchase and let the mods begin.

Terrance
Heard about the changes, but need to research specifics, that's why I can wait... any good links?

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
After much consideration, I prefer my modded IS over the IS-F.

I almost sold mine and special ordered an IS-F. But alas, CL has shown that a modded IS350 is more unique and possibly handles better than the IS-F, although it may not be as fast.

That's what I'm talking about!!! .3 seconds 0-60 isn't anything to me, I want the "uniqueness" and comfortable ride.... that tailpipe stack is a big drawback (IMO only) but hey, both are awesome machines...
Old 08-28-08, 08:03 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I don't know. hard choice but if I had 60 grand laying around, I'd be in a porsche STAT!

It's also hard to choose between IS 350 and IS-F.

I think I'd go IS-F since it's almost has fast and almost half the price
Old 08-28-08, 08:08 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nabbun
I don't know. hard choice but if I had 60 grand laying around, I'd be in a porsche STAT!

It's also hard to choose between IS 350 and IS-F.

I think I'd go IS-F since it's almost has fast and almost half the price
Porsche 911 S4 was considered.... can't find what I want and still need the back seats, but I love how it drove...
Old 08-28-08, 08:08 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my boosted IS350 But I'd have to say IS-F
Old 08-28-08, 09:07 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

cant go wrong with either of those choices.
Old 08-28-08, 09:50 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by rdgdawg

That's what I'm talking about!!! .3 seconds 0-60 isn't anything to me, I want the "uniqueness" and comfortable ride.... that tailpipe stack is a big drawback (IMO only) but hey, both are awesome machines...
For me, that 0.3 sec 0-60 difference is not worth the (1) increased insurance premium, (2) decreased gas efficiency, and (3) +$20k premium.

If you want something fast, I would use that $20k premium to put a Ducati 1098S in the garage...
Old 08-28-08, 10:10 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

If you want something fast, I would use that $20k premium to put a Ducati 1098S in the garage...
Hmmm... if I didn't have kids...
Old 08-28-08, 10:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Hmmm... if I didn't have kids...
That's what this is for:

I give them as gifts for bad-*** dads!!!

It has handles for the young'uns!!!

You'd be the coolest dad!!!
Old 08-28-08, 10:55 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I'd pick the IS-F. Change the wheels to 18" or even 17" if you want to be more comfortable. You can choose to drive the F as "slow" as the 350 but the 350 can't be as fast as the F. Besides, the F is more exclusive. Good luck in your choice.
Old 08-28-08, 11:19 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

That's what this is for:

I give them as gifts for bad-*** dads!!!

It has handles for the young'uns!!!

You'd be the coolest dad!!!
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what I need... haven't ridden a bike in 18 years!!!
Old 08-28-08, 12:50 PM
albert_23
Pole Position

IS-F. the IS-F bodykit looks a lot better. performance wise, i don't know about the modded IS350. but i'd go for obsidian black IS-F.

Quick Reply: He's BAAACK (sorta)... CL, help me decide...