4 months in am i murdering it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 07:07 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4 months in am i murdering it?

a few questions...

this is my first IS .. its 2008 AWD Is250 lease.. no performance mods yet.

The brakes feel like..no matter how fast im going when i start to slow down about between 30 and 0 mph it breaks fine and smooth and then without me pushing the break any harder it seems to catch really hard and my body gets like shot forward a little...you know what im talkin about?

its not like really aggressive jerk but enough that it pisses me off...
anyone else have this kind of issue with the 250? or the awd model?

and second...half the time i drive it like i stole it and the other half i drive slow homie...know what i mean? anyway in the past month or so i noticed ill be accelerating and anywhere from 60 - 90 the gear stays at 4 and i just cruise at 5000 rpm...and it doesnt go onto the next gear ... the engine roars, i mean yea the pickup at this point is good obviously and i do like it..BUT is this a problem waiting to happen? or is this fine? im thinkin of either releasing this once the 24months are up or financing it... do you guys think im killin the car or is it adapting to the way i drive in a good/aggressive way?

dont get me wrong i drive it in the semi-manul mode alot and love the high rpms at gear 3-5...

any info appreciated!
Old 08-29-08, 08:16 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Okay, with your brake pedal feel you might just be braking too hard that it causes that slight jerk as i've never experienced this sort of problem. you just need some getting used to toward the brake feel. i do very progressive braking, try that if you want (and when i say VERY progressive, i mean it haha).

the reason why your car stays in 4th gear during cruising is because when you drive the car, the ECU adapts to your throttle input. by driving it hard, the car changes the way it manages shifts and throttle response is different. more specifically gears will be held longer and response is quicker. this keeps you within the powerband.

but when you switch back to normal driving, the ECU will continue to stay in that mode until you cruise and drive around town long enough that it switches back to normal driving which i took note of is my car will be in 6th gear at approximately 40mph gl!
Old 08-29-08, 08:52 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

so its nothing to worry about...

problem with the braking is that i def dont hit it any harder, and it just feels like all of a sudden it just CATCHES so much harder. Ill try it out some more and try to take note of what im doing when it happens...

If i get diff brakes or the is-f performance brake is that gonna make it brake really hard as soon as i touch the pedal or does that make it more deep with resistance?
Old 08-29-08, 09:01 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

i get the same feeling when i brake lightly and keep the same constant pressure on the pedal. i've always assumed it was normal. it did take a lot of getting used to when i first got the car tho.

as far as getting bigger brakes, all they would do is change the pedal feel, since its really your tires that stop the car, and not the brakes.
Old 08-29-08, 09:32 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pre TSIB brake pad really catches, it was like an ON or OFF switch.

I had like once or twice where it stays in low gear and lets the rev build even tho I was just cruising normally, I switch into manual downshift and up shift to get the comp to re shift and I let off the throttle and that seems to fix it.
Old 08-29-08, 09:47 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

Smile

MIKEZ that is exactly what i do... but is this a sign of bad things to come or no?

since i love my car and really want to look into releasing or financing it i dont want to run into engine trouble in 2-4 years...

Anyone else think i should just run this one into the ground and get another one later? or this isnt a problem and all IS250's act this way?

let me know if you guys have this happen once in a while!
Old 08-29-08, 09:52 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

they're all like that. the transmission shifts depending on how it thinks you drive. if you like to drive hard and really punch the throttle, it'll respond by holding gears longer. if you grandma mode it, it'll shift really early.

just to remove some of your uneasiness, i usually drive my car pretty hard. i've had a few cases where i hold the pedal a little more than halfway down, and the engine runs up to just a little before the redline and stays there for a second or two before upshifting. try it, its really fun ^^
Old 08-29-08, 10:40 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think its fine, the shifting computer just went durr durr durr for a few seconds.
Old 08-29-08, 11:48 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

yea but i dont want it to do more DURR than PURR in 12 - 24 months lol...

but yea i get what you guys saying...
Old 08-29-08, 12:19 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leo_k
the gear stays at 4 and i just cruise at 5000 rpm...and it doesnt go onto the next gear ... the engine roars
Regardless of how hard or aggressive you drive the vehicle, this should never happen. Cruising at 5000 rpm in fourth with no up-shift means one of two things. 1. your in "sport mode" and in 4th gear and need to manually shift up.
Or 2. Something is wrong with the car. Steady cruise at 5000 rpm in drive = something's wrong. Its odd that it's 4th gear because 4th is the default gear when shifting into sport mode. My guess is your stuck in sport mode and don't know it.

Don't know what to tell you about your brakes. The original pads are very grabby.
Old 08-29-08, 06:03 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

try turning off your ECT pwr mode OFF

i get the same thing when my ECT is on
Old 08-29-08, 06:40 PM
IS350JDM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kuuqi
the reason why your car stays in 4th gear during cruising is because when you drive the car, the ECU adapts to your throttle input. by driving it hard, the car changes the way it manages shifts and throttle response is different. more specifically gears will be held longer and response is quicker. this keeps you within the powerband.

but when you switch back to normal driving, the ECU will continue to stay in that mode until you cruise and drive around town long enough that it switches back to normal driving which i took note of is my car will be in 6th gear at approximately 40mph gl!
I don't want to go off topic, but I think I read somewhere on another thread that if you unplug the battery terminals for a minute or so, that will actually reset the throttle input memory adaptation on the ECU. Is that true?

If so, I want to do that because I got mine as a demo, so I always feel like I'm driving somebody else's driving habits.
Old 08-29-08, 07:02 PM
leo_k
Pole Position

i have not turned ECT off a single time since i took it off the lot with 150 miles or 200....

By saying its stuck in sport mode you mean it is acting as if i put the shifter to the left correct? your not saying its stuck in ECT right..lol...

ok well i dunno this happens rarely and moreso when i am using the semi-manual and i guess what is called the sport mode (when you put the shifter to the left and can use the paddle shifters) yea i guess now that i think about it it starts to act funky in full auto mode after i was just messin with it in sport....

also i have disconnected the battery about 3x between 4,000 and the current 8000 miles that i have had the car because anytime i put bulbs/hids in and disconnect the filter the car shows check engine and VSC ERROR or something like that...

but after i disconnect battery and reconnect it comes up like a beauty..

i guess ill see how it is when the lease is ending and decide if i want to move on to a 350 or keep the awd goodness...
Old 08-29-08, 07:09 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like i said.... switch the ECT button OFF and go drive around the block then you'll notice the difference. you wont get that jerky braking motion and 4th gear wont be held till tomorrow.

its not that hard.... ECT OFF
Old 08-29-08, 07:17 PM
leo_k
Pole Position

its just so scary pushing it off...are you sure its safe?

Quick Reply: 4 months in am i murdering it?