IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 01:15 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edwa
Its completely doable.We have the Graco car seat in the rear of our 06 is250awd. The front seat is almost moved completely to the front, it is very tight and only very short (5' 3" and shorter) people can sit in the front seat comfortably. Its a little more trouble, but we love our car and are willing to live with the little extra inconvience.

ed
Yeah, but it's not a big deal. Just get a SnugRide. Put it behind the passenger seat. Push the seat up so it'll fit. Wife will have to sit in the back behind the driver, but she'll want to be back there anyways to keep an eye on the kid.

Since we've had our kid, my wife has yet to sit in the front passenger seat even tho we have room. She's always in the back with baby. Luckily, the ES is huge so we can put the car seat in the middle. IS and even GS are too tight for that, which is why we didn't get those cars.
Old 08-30-08, 05:15 AM
dukerules
Driver School Candidate

Car seats are doable. I have 2 in the back of my 350, and not bad for short rides with the two kids back there (ages 3 and 5). It's a bit snug for long trips, but then that's why we have an SUV.
Old 08-30-08, 07:01 AM
Ace00
Rookie

I have a two month old boy and i must say that it's a tight fit with the car seat in the back. I have the Eddie Bauer edition (Car Seat & Stroller)

I am 5'8", It does work but you have to move your seat up closer to the steering wheel. I believe once the child is old enough, you can face the car seat forward, thus giving you the couple of inches you lost back.

+1 Mine also wants to get an RX (Because of the space) **Might be a good excuse to get an IS F instead! LMFAO
Old 08-30-08, 01:47 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

There is plenty of room and the car is more than safe. Don't listen to the carpocalypse yuppy wannabe volvo nonsense. More often than not I see the giant land yacht SUVs all tangled up on the highway and I feel bad for the kids that were in that car and am angry at the idiotic parents who 'bought the biggest safest vehicle' and then proceeded to drive like drunken children.
Old 08-30-08, 09:55 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went from a SUV to the IS once my kid was able to be in a booster... so i can't help you here but Congrats and GL
Old 08-31-08, 07:15 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

New born child seats dont fit in the 2IS unless you have the seats all the way forward and I am guessing that a majority of the members here are not 5ft tall or shorter. Its not safe for someone to have the seats all the way forward to drive the car and compromise either.

FiveOhNine- I agree with all the SUV accidents. I see them in winter in IL because they are sold that they have AWD or 4X4 and that it goes through anything?!?! But if you know your limits as many people that I know own them they do serve there purpose from a space stand point.

IMO the IS isnt safe for a new born. If the children are older or in a booster seat then yes that will work as they are not rear facing and are much smaller at that point. I was assuming the OP was asking in regards to a New Born? I tried to put our seat in my car and it does not fit! One of the many reasons I decided to move on and trade in the IS for a bigger car with a little more room.
Old 08-31-08, 10:38 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
New born child seats dont fit in the 2IS unless you have the seats all the way forward and I am guessing that a majority of the members here are not 5ft tall or shorter. Its not safe for someone to have the seats all the way forward to drive the car and compromise either.

FiveOhNine- I agree with all the SUV accidents. I see them in winter in IL because they are sold that they have AWD or 4X4 and that it goes through anything?!?! But if you know your limits as many people that I know own them they do serve there purpose from a space stand point.

IMO the IS isnt safe for a new born. If the children are older or in a booster seat then yes that will work as they are not rear facing and are much smaller at that point. I was assuming the OP was asking in regards to a New Born? I tried to put our seat in my car and it does not fit! One of the many reasons I decided to move on and trade in the IS for a bigger car with a little more room.
6'2" and it fit fine in the center of the seat.....and I was comfortable in the front.
Old 08-31-08, 07:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
there is not enough room in the back of the IS for the car seats. I am trading mine in for a GS or something larger. I would suggest getting something like a CRV, RDX, ect...that will allow enough room for the baby and storage. I just picked up a new RDX for my wife and we love it. She is due any day now

I can take some pics if you want to see please PM me as I am not on here that much anymore.

congrads and good luck with the baby

Mike
New Audi Q5!
Old 08-31-08, 07:40 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace00
I have a two month old boy and i must say that it's a tight fit with the car seat in the back. I have the Eddie Bauer edition (Car Seat & Stroller)

I am 5'8", It does work but you have to move your seat up closer to the steering wheel. I believe once the child is old enough, you can face the car seat forward, thus giving you the couple of inches you lost back.

+1 Mine also wants to get an RX (Because of the space) **Might be a good excuse to get an IS F instead! LMFAO
I think it's going to get even tighter once the baby moves from the infant seat to one of the convertible seats facing backward (until 1 yr old). You should check the manual about baby seats in the middle--some cars recommend against it.
Old 09-01-08, 08:06 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think it's going to get even tighter once the baby moves from the infant seat to one of the convertible seats facing backward (until 1 yr old). You should check the manual about baby seats in the middle--some cars recommend against it.
The middle is actually the safest place -- as passnu2 mentioned, curtain airbags can be an issue.
Old 09-01-08, 10:09 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
6'2" and it fit fine in the center of the seat.....and I was comfortable in the front.
Really? Rear facing in an IS? Which infant seat did you use?
Old 09-02-08, 08:14 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Graco something... but I'll check when I get home and update this post.
Old 09-02-08, 12:41 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Graco something... but I'll check when I get home and update this post.
Appreciate it. Can you also check if the handle is up or down?
Old 09-02-08, 12:49 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by codex57
Appreciate it. Can you also check if the handle is up or down?
handle was always down. The plastic they use in the handles is NOT shatter-proof, so you don't want that anywhere near your baby's face.
Old 09-02-08, 08:31 PM
timucla
Driver

I've used a Britax Marathon behind the passenger seat now for almost 3 years. There's enough room in the front for someone up to about 5'10" but anyone taller than that'll be bangin their knees on the dash. Just make sure that with any seat you use that you use a pad between the seat and the baby car seat.

Quick Reply: Car Seat