IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 02:34 PM
08SMKYG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Seat

My wife is having the baby soon and needs a car seat for her car. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Old 08-29-08, 02:42 PM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

I think the rear cabin room is too small.
Good way to convince the wife to buy a GS or LS, =)
Besides, it'll be more safe for the baby.
Old 08-29-08, 02:58 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ByoungWoo
I think the rear cabin room is too small.
Good way to convince the wife to buy a GS or LS, =)
Besides, it'll be more safe for the baby.
+1 LOL women like RX. its got plenty of space too.

Would love to help, but I have no experience in that part. Good luck!
Old 08-29-08, 03:00 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about ES350?
Old 08-29-08, 03:12 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Are you asking for recommendations for a car seat or a car? If it's for a car seat check these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=car+seat

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=car+seat
Old 08-29-08, 05:03 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I recommend www.car-seat.org and the car seat section on the forums at babybargains.com (highly recommend getting the book).

Still, for infant seats, the consensus is to get a Graco SnugRide or SafeSeat (SnugRide if kid is likely very small due to small parents, or the SafeSeat for bigger kids) or the Chicco KeyFit 30. We're the typical skinny asians and got a SnugRide. SafeSeat would be too big for us to carry so the SnugRide is great. Some people's kids outgrow the SnugRide in 4 months or so. Our kid is 11 months and still looks to have a couple months or more to go in the SnugRide. My guess is you'll be forced into the SnugRide (or possibly KeyFit) route anyways cuz the interior of the IS is so cramped.

Get an infant seat first. Don't try and cheap out and get a convertible in hopes of saving money on the infant seat. Convertibles are just too big to hold a newborn properly, despite their claims.

Once you get to the convertibles, most just end up with a Britax of some sort. Marathon or Boulevard. Sunshine Kids Radian 65/80 is also nice, but more for those who want 3 carseats in a row cuz the Radian is really skinny (but a pain to install rear facing). I have a Recaro Como and while it's ok, most seem to like the Britax. The Recaros are on the skinny side so if the kid is likely to be on the wider side, he's going to outgrow it widthwise before he should.
Old 08-29-08, 07:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is not enough room in the back of the IS for the car seats. I am trading mine in for a GS or something larger. I would suggest getting something like a CRV, RDX, ect...that will allow enough room for the baby and storage. I just picked up a new RDX for my wife and we love it. She is due any day now

I can take some pics if you want to see please PM me as I am not on here that much anymore.

congrads and good luck with the baby

Mike
Old 08-29-08, 07:22 PM
08SMKYG
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help. Eventually were going to have to get a bigger vehicle. If she would have waited a month I wouldnt be in this predicament. But she wanted an IS so now were going to be riding tight she can go in the back anyways.
Old 08-29-08, 07:24 PM
leo_k
Pole Position

maybe put baby seat up front and move the seat forward so your wife can sit behind that seat...i never had a baby seat so i dunno if this wont work because the seat has to be all the way back to get the baby seat on it...but maybe look into that? that way you dont have to put it in the back seat

baby more precious that wife anyway
Old 08-29-08, 08:35 PM
mitchsti
Driver School Candidate

Default car seat

i have a two year old and the car seat fits fine in the back. sometimes he kicks the back of the seat (little bothersome) the recaro is nice and is adjustable so if taken care of will last long time. not to sure about an infant seat tho,used a britax for infant
Old 08-29-08, 08:40 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leo_k
maybe put baby seat up front and move the seat forward so your wife can sit behind that seat...i never had a baby seat so i dunno if this wont work because the seat has to be all the way back to get the baby seat on it...but maybe look into that? that way you dont have to put it in the back seat

baby more precious that wife anyway
baby seats cant go in the front. they have to go in the back and you have to be careful with all these airbags Most states they child has to be a certain age or weight before you can allow them to sit in the front seat. Its just not safe anymore and not worth taking a chance with
Old 08-29-08, 08:58 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

Recaro car seats FTW!!!
Old 08-29-08, 10:21 PM
08SMKYG
Driver School Candidate

The recaro is nice but not till the baby is older. It fits well while facing foward but not so much rear facing. Were going to see the graco for fitment.
Old 08-29-08, 11:11 PM
edwa
Rookie

Its completely doable.We have the Graco car seat in the rear of our 06 is250awd. The front seat is almost moved completely to the front, it is very tight and only very short (5' 3" and shorter) people can sit in the front seat comfortably. Its a little more trouble, but we love our car and are willing to live with the little extra inconvience.

ed
Old 08-29-08, 11:42 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

goodluck with the babyyyy!

Quick Reply: Car Seat