IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Abnormal tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 09:29 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeEstwo50
they are Tenzo Racing Type-M rims. i think tenzo really pulled off a nice looking wheel that is not a knock off they are pretty cheap and i would have gotten them on my car, but that was until i came across a set of volks that i couldnt pass up.
Very nice looking wheels....but volks definitely get the quality nod from me. Both nice though!
Old 09-20-08, 08:34 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fleainat
My front tires are bald on the inner edges, and the dealer said that was normal. Someone is not telling the truth here. By the way, I've had 2 alignments and I only have 16k miles... I've been looking for tires and I'm probably going to get the Sumitomo HRT Z III's because they are rated very highly and also cheap...
Just checked my tires as I hit 25k miles today and my rears are perfect, maybe 60% left, but my front have the exact same issue as yours = BALD on the inner edges...

The car is getting aligned right now as we speak... I'll let you know the results of what they find... I just put 2 new tires on the front (OEM Dunlops)...

BTW, off-topic, I was going to take my car into the dealer for the free less-dust brake pads, but my front brake pads look like NEW!!! I was shocked to see that as I am pretty hard on my car, especially braking before entering a corner... So anyway, I'm not going to change them for at least another 6 months as they seem to be wearing VERY evenly against my rotors...
Old 09-20-08, 10:02 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Alignment results:

BEFORE:
FRONT
Left Front Camber: -0.8
Left Front Caster: 7.4
Left Front Toe: 0.16 (Out of Spec)
Right Front Camber: -0.7
Right Front Caster: 7.2 (Out of Spec)
Right Front Toe: -0.12 (Out of Spec)
Front Total Toe: 0.04
Steer Ahead: 0.14 (Out of Spec)

REAR
Left Rear Camber: -1.4
Left Rear Toe: -0.08 (Out of Spec)
Right Rear Camber: -1.5
Right Rear Toe: 0.05
Rear Total Toe: -0.03 (Out of Spec)
Thrust Angle: -0.06

AFTER:

FRONT
Left Front Camber: -0.8
Left Front Caster: 7.4
Left Front Toe: 0.04
Right Front Camber: -0.7
Right Front Caster: 7.2 (Out of Spec)
Right Front Toe: 0.04
Front Total Toe: 0.08
Steer Ahead: 0.00

REAR
Left Rear Camber: -1.4
Left Rear Toe: 0.12
Right Rear Camber: -1.5
Right Rear Toe: 0.10
Rear Total Toe: 0.22
Thrust Angle: 0.01

They put it in the computer as "Standard Suspension" instead of sport suspension but I looked at the sport specs and there doesn't seem to be any real difference except minor SAI which I didn't even see on the printout... Anyway, glad I got it aligned, all those potholes really did a number on my alignment
Old 09-20-08, 10:29 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My IS is lowered via Eibach springs with staggered 19s. Its been 20k miles since I've had the 19s and now the inner edge of the front tires are worn out (not very bad). I haven't had an alignment since the car was lowered so I'm guessing there's now an alignment issue. Is 20k normal for uneven wear?
Old 09-20-08, 10:52 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
My IS is lowered via Eibach springs with staggered 19s. Its been 20k miles since I've had the 19s and now the inner edge of the front tires are worn out (not very bad). I haven't had an alignment since the car was lowered so I'm guessing there's now an alignment issue. Is 20k normal for uneven wear?
Did they align it when they put the springs on?
Old 09-20-08, 11:02 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technique
Did they align it when they put the springs on?
Yes, 500 miles after the springs were installed.
Old 09-20-08, 11:40 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Fleainat
My front tires are bald on the inner edges, and the dealer said that was normal. Someone is not telling the truth here. By the way, I've had 2 alignments and I only have 16k miles... I've been looking for tires and I'm probably going to get the Sumitomo HRT Z III's because they are rated very highly and also cheap...
There is nothing "normal" about abnormal tire wear. Look at the rear tires, its the same tire why doesn't it wear the same. Because Lexus needs to issue a TSIB about front tire wear on the IS. there is a problem either faulty front suspension design or too many cars delivered new out of alignment. 350Z had similar problem, Nissan designed a solution and replaced front tires for FREE
Old 09-20-08, 12:25 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Yes, 500 miles after the springs were installed.
Hmmm, shouldn't be happening... I guess get the alignment checked... Checks are usually free, although they will almost always tell you that alignment is "needed"...

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
There is nothing "normal" about abnormal tire wear. Look at the rear tires, its the same tire why doesn't it wear the same. Because Lexus needs to issue a TSIB about front tire wear on the IS. there is a problem either faulty front suspension design or too many cars delivered new out of alignment. 350Z had similar problem, Nissan designed a solution and replaced front tires for FREE
Agreed... But the 350Z was pretty bad, I don't think our cars are that bad...

A TSIB would have been nice, but I doubt we'll see one this late in the game Anyway, I bought my new tires and got my misaligned car realigned, so hopefully I'm good for the next 20k miles till I get rid of my car...
Old 09-20-08, 02:26 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine

sungyc: wear on both inner and outer with tread left in the middle probably means that you are running too high on your tire pressure....or that you have camber issues and take corners very fast
isnt it the other way around??

too high tire pressure--> middle wears out faster

too low tire pressure-->>sides wear out faster
Old 09-20-08, 02:45 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
isnt it the other way around??

too high tire pressure--> middle wears out faster

too low tire pressure-->>sides wear out faster
Yes that is correct