IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Abnormal tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 10:13 AM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Abnormal tire wear?

I'm not really complaining as I have 24.5K on the original tires. But . . .

The fronts still have good tread in the middle. However, the driver's side outside edge appears to be wearing more than the passenger side or either inside edge. Is this normal? Would alignment help or is this just the nature of the beast?

Any suggestions for a longer wearing replacement (hopefully something fairly quiet)?
Old 09-02-08, 10:16 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

no, i dont think an alignment would do anything. that is just normal wear on front tires. the outside of the tires tend to wear a lot faster than the inside of the tires due to steering and camber.

plus after 24.5k miles, i think its almost time to start looking at new tires and possibly new rims?!!!!?!!?
Old 09-02-08, 10:32 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

24.5k miles on original tires? Yeah, that's normal. And it is time to get new tires...
Old 09-02-08, 11:19 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are probably going to want to look at an All Season or better yet a Touring tire for a high treadwear rating. Most All Seasons will put you up or over the 400 range, and some touring tires will be even higher. Keep in mind that you will lose some performance with these types of tires, however.

Unrelated: EyeEstwo50, that is an awesome looking wheel in your avatar pic, what is that? Do you have them on your car?
Old 09-02-08, 12:20 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Default Mine's the opposite

My front tires are bald on the inner edges, and the dealer said that was normal. Someone is not telling the truth here. By the way, I've had 2 alignments and I only have 16k miles... I've been looking for tires and I'm probably going to get the Sumitomo HRT Z III's because they are rated very highly and also cheap...
Old 09-02-08, 12:42 PM
sungyc
Rookie

I only had 12k on my tires... but the front left both inside and outside edges are bald already, and right side is not that much better too.=_=.. I changed them already.. rare still pretty new..so fast~~~ I thought I drove pretty smoothly, but the tires didn't think so..T_T.. will driving on curvy mountain road cause this (speed limit on those are between 45-60)? or is it really me..>_<
Old 09-02-08, 12:43 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fleainat
My front tires are bald on the inner edges, and the dealer said that was normal. Someone is not telling the truth here. By the way, I've had 2 alignments and I only have 16k miles... I've been looking for tires and I'm probably going to get the Sumitomo HRT Z III's because they are rated very highly and also cheap...
They are cheap, and you get what you pay for. If you are looking for performance (just ok), ride quality (just ok), or low noise (quite loud, especially at high speeds) then look elsewhere. if you are looking for cheap, then they might fit the bill.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-08, 12:47 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Outer edge wear usually means fast corners, inner edge usually means camber issues. Some inner edge camber-related wear is inevitable. If you have a bunch and are not lowered, then you might want to get the alignment checked.

sungyc: wear on both inner and outer with tread left in the middle probably means that you are running too high on your tire pressure....or that you have camber issues and take corners very fast
Old 09-02-08, 01:09 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
They are cheap, and you get what you pay for. If you are looking for performance (just ok), ride quality (just ok), or low noise (quite loud, especially at high speeds) then look elsewhere. if you are looking for cheap, then they might fit the bill.
Really have you tried them? They get the highest ratings of all max performance tires on Tirerack.com
Old 09-02-08, 01:22 PM
sungyc
Rookie

sungyc: wear on both inner and outer with tread left in the middle probably means that you are running too high on your tire pressure....or that you have camber issues and take corners very fast

I guess i take corners pretty fast.... its annoying how there are sooo many downhill 90 degrees turns around the place i live...i really dont like to slow down the car THAT much for the turn.=_=... will lowering the car make it better??
Old 09-02-08, 01:44 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sungyc
I guess i take corners pretty fast.... its annoying how there are sooo many downhill 90 degrees turns around the place i live...i really dont like to slow down the car THAT much for the turn.=_=... will lowering the car make it better??
It might help with the cornering, but it likely will have an adverse affect on your tread life.
Old 09-02-08, 01:47 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Really have you tried them? They get the highest ratings of all max performance tires on Tirerack.com
I have them on now. Don't get me wrong...they are an OK tire for a good price, so in the end you probably come out ahead. However, tires are among the most, if not the most important parts of your suspension. For me it was a good experiment, but I won't ever get them again. For another $300 or so you can get a much much better set of tires, and it's just not worth it for me to go cheap again. YMMV.
Old 09-02-08, 01:59 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

I have them on now. Don't get me wrong...they are an OK tire for a good price, so in the end you probably come out ahead. However, tires are among the most, if not the most important parts of your suspension. For me it was a good experiment, but I won't ever get them again. For another $300 or so you can get a much much better set of tires, and it's just not worth it for me to go cheap again. YMMV.
That's great to know and it's always better to hear from others' experiences. I was a little cautious because of the price, but if they get loud, that's a deal killer for me. My stock Potenzas are VERY loud at 16k miles, which is why I keep getting alignments to no avail... Are you thinking Michelins next?
Old 09-02-08, 03:51 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Unrelated: EyeEstwo50, that is an awesome looking wheel in your avatar pic, what is that? Do you have them on your car?

they are Tenzo Racing Type-M rims. i think tenzo really pulled off a nice looking wheel that is not a knock off they are pretty cheap and i would have gotten them on my car, but that was until i came across a set of volks that i couldnt pass up.
Old 09-02-08, 09:28 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

That's great to know and it's always better to hear from others' experiences. I was a little cautious because of the price, but if they get loud, that's a deal killer for me. My stock Potenzas are VERY loud at 16k miles, which is why I keep getting alignments to no avail... Are you thinking Michelins next?
Well, they don't really get loud....they start that way....if they get any worse I'm going to need to upgrade my stereo.

Quick Reply: Abnormal tire wear?