IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Removing the &$#% Front Dome Light Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 03:05 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Removing the &$#% Front Dome Light Cover?

Hi Guys,
I've been trying to replace the front dome light of my IS-F (basically the same as other IS) with some LED's, but I've been having a ***** of a time trying to get it off without doing any damage to the plastic. I've taken the two screws off that are hidden in the sunglass holder area but the back portion is still stuck to the headliner. Is there something I'm missing? I tried just prying the dome light cover off alone but that didn't work. What tools do I use to get this sucker off? I've tried a flathead screwdriver to a credit card. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Darshana S...
Old 09-02-08, 03:15 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont need to take all that off, all you have to do is pop off the plastic lens with a credit card.
Old 09-02-08, 03:17 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can just pop off the dome light cover with a credit card
Old 09-02-08, 03:26 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Originally Posted by MIA IS250
you can just pop off the dome light cover with a credit card
I'm not sure what credit card you guys have been using but it's a really tight squeeze and I can't get my card in there without damaging the surrounding plastic. I'll try looking around for the thinnest card I got and see what happens...
Old 09-02-08, 03:29 PM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the card in on the side closes to you if sitting in driver seat, it is tight but it works, the rear one is the same thing. If that doesnt work just pull the whole unit out. the back side closes to the windshield is wedged in just pull back toward you and down. goood luck
Old 09-02-08, 03:31 PM
ISooNice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clothe and flat head screwdriver my friend and some force
Old 09-02-08, 03:34 PM
leo_k
Pole Position

if you open the eyeglass holder there is 2 screws there, unscrew them and you can pop that WHOLE console off..thats how i replaced my leds in there, didnt even kno wyou could pop off the dome plastic.
Old 09-02-08, 03:37 PM
leo_k
Pole Position

ah, oops well... when you remove the screws that console starts to fall off correct orno? If not it is prolly just clipped in on the sides. I really dont want to go and unscrew that thing again, not that its hard to do ... i just did it so many times that i dont want to go open it again. If you absolutely need i can go take a few pics of how i got mine off...
Old 09-02-08, 03:47 PM
Zanorath
Pole Position

I tried taking out the whole dome area but I couldn't make it work so I used the smallest flathead screwdriver (eyeglasses size) I could find and just popped the cover out. Its not as easy as the rears but it works. However, there is minor damage to the plastic there the screwdriver was wedged, you can't see it, but you can feel it.
Old 09-02-08, 03:59 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Originally Posted by MIA IS250
put the card in on the side closes to you if sitting in driver seat, it is tight but it works, the rear one is the same thing. If that doesnt work just pull the whole unit out. the back side closes to the windshield is wedged in just pull back toward you and down. goood luck
Okay got it off! MIA IS250 had the best advice. The credit card barely fits in that wedge facing the rear of the car and from there just enough prys off to where you can pull out the rest of the light cover. There is still some very minor damage to the surrounding plastic but my new LED's look pretty sweet. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-02-08, 07:26 PM
leo_k
Pole Position

yea i hate that about mods period, when you take something apart for the first time it is never really the same as BRAND NEW again...

i would prolly mourn that damaged plastic part on your IS-F if i had one for weeks LOL
Old 09-02-08, 09:18 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

you will damage the edges unless you remove the whole console and pop the lens from the back...i learn the hard way trying to pull the lens off...kinda damaged the plastic
Old 09-03-08, 08:02 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

taking the whole thing off is not that difficult and i would recommend doing it that way...take the screws out if the console hangs down than push down and back (toward the windshield) and it will come out....u will see three tabs that u can twist once u twist those pull them out the bulb will be inside...change bulb put the holder back and twist back to lock in place ...be sure they work before putting it back together...if bulb doesn't work take holder out and turn 180 degrees and put back in (may have put it in wrong way)........hope this helps ....
Old 09-03-08, 10:33 AM
Eddiebx
Driver

u shouldnt damage the lens if you use a trim pry tool, like the audio installers use. its basically a hunting knife shaped plastic tool. i took it off a couple times using that and all is well.
Old 09-03-08, 02:13 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nehal51086
taking the whole thing off is not that difficult and i would recommend doing it that way...take the screws out if the console hangs down than push down and back (toward the windshield) and it will come out....u will see three tabs that u can twist once u twist those pull them out the bulb will be inside...change bulb put the holder back and twist back to lock in place ...be sure they work before putting it back together...if bulb doesn't work take holder out and turn 180 degrees and put back in (may have put it in wrong way)........hope this helps ....
ditto...just u gotta pull pretty hard lol don't worry u wont break anything

Quick Reply: Removing the &$#% Front Dome Light Cover?