IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car Charger - Inside Driver Handrest - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 05:44 PM
SuperG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Charger - Inside Driver Handrest - Help?

Hi guys,

I have an 2008 IS 250. I am trying to utilize both of the car charger ports in the car. The first one, below the navi unit, I am plugging my cell phone charger into. It works fine. Now, the other one is located inside the driver hand rest. Inside is the AUX port and a car charger port. I am trying to hook up my Ipod Nano to the sound system. I have no problem with the 1/8th inch connection for the audio. However, I just bought an ipod car charger, and when I plug it into the charging port, it sticks up to the point that I can't close the hand rest cover (lid). Is there anyone out there that can point me to another option, as all of the ipod car chargers I have seen, are about the same size. Thanks in advance for your help.

SuperG
Old 09-02-08, 06:05 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

They sell 90 degree adapters that will help you.. check out your local radioshack or electronics store.

I have a cell phone charger plugged in mine. I had to search for a bit before i found a charger that would fit without an adapter. I ended up having to buy a motorola one, rather than a cheapo one.
Old 09-02-08, 06:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know which iPod you have.....but I find my 80GB iPod has plenty of charge to last 15 hours or so. I don't even think about charging the unit in the car.....I just take it in and charge it with the iPod charger. That works for me for a long period of time. And it cuts down on the extra cables needed to try to charge the unit in the car....and the ground loop problem that it sometimes entails.
Old 09-02-08, 06:52 PM
SuperG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Don't know which iPod you have.....but I find my 80GB iPod has plenty of charge to last 15 hours or so. I don't even think about charging the unit in the car.....I just take it in and charge it with the iPod charger. That works for me for a long period of time. And it cuts down on the extra cables needed to try to charge the unit in the car....and the ground loop problem that it sometimes entails.
Ground Loop Problem? What is that about? I don't mind the extra cables needed, since it will be hidden inside the hand rest.

Does anyone have a particular charger they use with the Ipod Nano, which produces good sound? I have been googleing it, and I found one, the Monster low profile charger for the Ipod that would be perfect. However, I read some reviews that say that it produces a lot of hiss and background noise in the sound when plugged in. One review was specific from an owner of an IS 250, that had that problem. Please advise. Thanks.

SuperG
Old 09-02-08, 06:56 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

the ground loop problem is a TSIB for the aux port. it makes a high pitched whining noise that varies with the engine speed.
Old 09-02-08, 07:54 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SuperG
Ground Loop Problem? What is that about? I don't mind the extra cables needed, since it will be hidden inside the hand rest.
This is the problem and the TSIB to fix it. Happy motoring!! Don't know if this has been fixed in the 2008 IS's or not. But if you don't charge your iPod in your car it isn't an issue in any event.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AudioNoise_TSIB.pdf (91.9 KB, 318 views)
Old 09-02-08, 07:57 PM
SuperG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
This is the problem and the TSIB to fix it. Happy motoring!!
Thanks for the info. Quick question though. The document you attached says 2006 & 2007 IS models. I have the 2008, has it already been fixed in this year's model? Thanks.
Old 09-02-08, 08:00 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

I have the 2008, has it already been fixed in this year's model? Thanks.

Dunno......maybe someone who has an '08 can chime in.
Old 09-02-08, 08:23 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had no ground loop issues on my 08, but I think I recall folks who said they had. Mine was early production though so I dunno.

The Belkin car kit is what I use, charges the ipod and provides a 3.5 mm out both with one dock connector... I dunno if the nano has the standard dock connector or not though.

Just annoyed it doesn't charge my 3G iphone
Old 09-02-08, 09:50 PM
SuperG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I've had no ground loop issues on my 08, but I think I recall folks who said they had. Mine was early production though so I dunno.

The Belkin car kit is what I use, charges the ipod and provides a 3.5 mm out both with one dock connector... I dunno if the nano has the standard dock connector or not though.

Just annoyed it doesn't charge my 3G iphone
Thanks for the response. The Nano DOES have the standard dock connector. So, the Belkin auto kit fits into the hand rest car charger port, and it still closes properly? Thanks.

SuperG
Old 09-03-08, 05:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the response. The Nano DOES have the standard dock connector. So, the Belkin auto kit fits into the hand rest car charger port, and it still closes properly? Thanks.

SuperG
Oh, heh, nope it doesn't.... I use the swivel adapter from radio shack (which also gives you two plugs from the one)- the belkin plugs into that, as will my eventual iphone charger into the second port (or occasionally my wife'll charge her phone from it if we're taking a trip since the one near the ashtray is for the GPS)

Audio quality is very good though, and that seems worth losing a little bit of console space to the swivel adapter.