IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What will the blackstone oil analysis say about 15,000 mile old oil?
The oil will be terrible, totally degraded, you've ruined your engine
24.07%
The oil will be just before/past its useful life, you've found the perfect change interval
51.85%
The oil will be fine, you could have gone longer
24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

15,000 miles between oil changes - Results?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 05:12 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I agreed with Koz, 12K would probably your best bet....
Old 09-09-08, 06:32 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technique. It seems as if your definition of an acceptable oil change interval is one where the engine doesn't blow up before you change your oil. The Blackstone report seems relatively conclusive that you went too long between changes, yet it seems like you want to stretch it even longer. It's just not a worthy exercise in my opinion, as $50 and 2 or 3 hours every 5 to 10K miles just doesn't seem all that excessive, even for the most busy among us.
Old 09-09-08, 07:38 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Technique. It seems as if your definition of an acceptable oil change interval is one where the engine doesn't blow up before you change your oil. The Blackstone report seems relatively conclusive that you went too long between changes, yet it seems like you want to stretch it even longer. It's just not a worthy exercise in my opinion, as $50 and 2 or 3 hours every 5 to 10K miles just doesn't seem all that excessive, even for the most busy among us.
Well said. Suspect this OP's motivation is more of "attention seek" than understood care for an expensive precision motor. See the number of posts as proof. It is difficult to understand this as when you read his other posts, he comes across as someone who appreciates and enjoys fine machinery. Such a conundrum are we humans.
Old 09-09-08, 08:43 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Originally Posted by NGG
Well said. Suspect this OP's motivation is more of "attention seek" than understood care for an expensive precision motor. See the number of posts as proof. It is difficult to understand this as when you read his other posts, he comes across as someone who appreciates and enjoys fine machinery. Such a conundrum are we humans.
I am not looking to extend my OCI beyond 14k... I think 12k sounds about right after all of this investigation... 10k is obviously just fine, and 14k is probably good after the first few oil changes once the break-in metals are gone from our engines...

From my other experiment with my V-8 Jaguar, I concluded that time has nothing to do with oil going bad (I went 3 years and there was still plenty of active additive left) so I am going to go purely by mileage from now on... I think 12k will be my next oil change...
Old 09-09-08, 10:50 PM
speedfoos
Driver School Candidate

Unbelievable. Remind to never buy a used '07 IS350 Black Sapphire/Black (Sport/Nav/ML/PA/HW/Z1/Front Spoiler GFX) when I see it for sale.
Old 02-12-10, 11:42 AM
IanHen
Rookie

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Unbelievable. Remind to never buy a used '07 IS350 Black Sapphire/Black (Sport/Nav/ML/PA/HW/Z1/Front Spoiler GFX) when I see it for sale.
Well as i see it this is better than buying from someone who doesn't care and knows will be selling in 3 or 5 yrs.

Fleet vehicles have been reported to eliminate the Oil changes because it costs more than any observable benefit during the life of the vehicle, you certainly don't want one of those !!! ( think 30 to 100 vehicles, whats an engine if you need one!!)
Old 02-12-10, 12:06 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly why would u even consider doing that????

AND u dont even put synthetic .... c'mon dude its a lexus.. you should treat it like one

whats 100bucks every 5000 miles... thats like chump change imo ur engine wont last very long if keep this up
Old 02-12-10, 12:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by L-S-D

whats 100bucks every 5000 miles... thats like chump change

I'd certainly agree someone spending $100 on an oil change every 5000 miles is a chump... $100 is at least double too much for a conventional change, and 5k miles is at least double too often for a synthetic one.

Honestly very UOA I've ever seen for the 2IS suggests that normal conventional oil can comfortably run 10-12k miles on this car with no problems whatsoever. 15k looks to be pushing things a bit much IMHO, but would be easily safe with any synthetic oil, and a good one like Amsoil should be fine to 25k/1 yr no issues.
Old 02-12-10, 12:24 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

How do people just suddenly respond to year and a half old threads? Do they do a search then feel so compelled to respond even though the previous poster will likely never see it?
Old 02-12-10, 12:47 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'd certainly agree someone spending $100 on an oil change every 5000 miles is a chump... $100 is at least double too much for a conventional change, and 5k miles is at least double too often for a synthetic one.

Honestly very UOA I've ever seen for the 2IS suggests that normal conventional oil can comfortably run 10-12k miles on this car with no problems whatsoever. 15k looks to be pushing things a bit much IMHO, but would be easily safe with any synthetic oil, and a good one like Amsoil should be fine to 25k/1 yr no issues.
how is that being a chump??
if you can afford to drive a lexus you can afford to burn 100 bucks every 5000 miles that shouldnt even be close to an issue, why drive the ****t outta ur car till the limit and then change it when u can safly change it as soon as ur oil change light comes on
Old 02-12-10, 12:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I've been doing 7K mile oil/filter change intervals, but will switch to 10K miles with Mobil1.

Interesting oldie but goody thread with some actual facts instead of the usual feel-good oil change stuff.
Old 02-12-10, 01:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by L-S-D
how is that being a chump??
if you can afford to drive a lexus you can afford to burn 100 bucks every 5000 miles that shouldnt even be close to an issue, why drive the ****t outta ur car till the limit and then change it when u can safly change it as soon as ur oil change light comes on
I already explained why it's being a chump.

$100 is 2x what a conventional oil change should cost.

Every 5000 miles is 2x as often as it needs to be changed based on a mountain of actual scientific analysis of oil in this model engine even with conventional oil, let alone synthetic.

(disclaimer- this is for "normal" use... in a car that sees severe duty I'd certainly change it more often, but would just do conventional $50 oil changes when doing it (or half that if you do your own changes).

I paid cash for my IS350, I have plenty of money.

the reason I have plenty of money is I don't waste it doing things like oil changes twice as often as needed and paying twice what they should cost each time I do it.

You can safely change your tires every 5000 miles, but that doesn't make much sense either does it?
Old 02-12-10, 01:33 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

dude i dont put conventional , only royal purple synthectic and shops charge 100 for the service + oils

and i also paid cash for my 350 ,jus saying being cheap on maintence is jus stupid
why not be safe and jus change it and get it outta the way
Old 02-12-10, 01:38 PM
cjlazar84
Pole Position

I dot agree with that at all ^^^^ 100 bucks every 5k is retarded.... money is money bro and if you want to wash is away than fine. money spent is money lost. every good businessman knows that. every 7k miles here. and unless you are racing, you dont need royal purple....
Old 02-12-10, 02:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Safety is good. Changing oil twice as often as necessary does not improve safety.

Quick Reply: 15,000 miles between oil changes - Results?