IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Touch screen doesn’t work

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 09:42 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i would try to unplug the whole unit.. wait.. and plug it back in... w/o the aftermarket part. see if that works.
Old 09-25-08, 04:57 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dunno how you unplugged the battery but if you unplug the negative first which i think you did you will not lose the Nav settings, try unplugging the positive first, it will erase everything and probably reset the touch screen.
Old 09-25-08, 06:11 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by A.C Milan
i dunno how you unplugged the battery but if you unplug the negative first which i think you did you will not lose the Nav settings, try unplugging the positive first, it will erase everything and probably reset the touch screen.
?

It really should not matter which terminal is disconnected first. Can you explain why?
Old 09-25-08, 07:15 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS
?

It really should not matter which terminal is disconnected first. Can you explain why?
I don't know why, but i remember along time ago i was going to leave the car for 2 months and was doing a lot of searching and someone in this forum said that but i forgot the technical explanation, but it worked.
Old 10-13-08, 11:41 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt as well that the +ve terminal would make any difference, I just got back from a vacation and I’ll get cracking on this issue tomorrow, fingers crossed
Old 10-17-08, 11:02 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by muzzman1
Im having this problem as well.....exact same scenario. Did removing the Vaistech unit fix it?
I've just removed the Vaistech unit and took off the whole unit for about half an hour... that didn't change a thing. it's probably a hardware issue and the screen needs to be replaced
Old 10-17-08, 11:31 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually had my screen replaced TODAY by lexus. It was defective. Lucky for me I knew the tech, and he knew about my "hack", so he proceeded to replace it w/o incident. I called Vaistech a few weeks ago when this started, and described what was going on, and they were certain it was NOT the vasitech.
Car has 67k, and a 100k extended warranty

Originally Posted by kattanh3
I've just removed the Vaistech unit and took off the whole unit for about half an hour... that didn't change a thing. it's probably a hardware issue and the screen needs to be replaced
Old 10-18-08, 05:07 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by muzzman1
I actually had my screen replaced TODAY by lexus. It was defective. Lucky for me I knew the tech, and he knew about my "hack", so he proceeded to replace it w/o incident. I called Vaistech a few weeks ago when this started, and described what was going on, and they were certain it was NOT the vasitech.
Car has 67k, and a 100k extended warranty
Thanks, my car has only 42k Km (apx. 26k Miles) clocked & we both have the Vasitech... I don't believe it is just a coincidence though. I guess next stop is the dealership. By any chance, do you know if they changed the whole unit or just the screen?
Old 10-18-08, 05:18 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

I surely hope it's not the VAIS interface. I have read many posts about the VAIS and the Nav Hack and many people have done either or both w/o any problems. When I talked to VAIS they stated that many Lexus dealers use their interface for customers.

I just did the VAIS interface and Nav Hack. I actually picked up my Sl2vi directly from their office here in Colorado.
Old 10-18-08, 02:36 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, my car has only 42k Km (apx. 26k Miles) clocked & we both have the Vasitech... I don't believe it is just a coincidence though. I guess next stop is the dealership. By any chance, do you know if they changed the whole unit or just the screen?
They just replaced the screen.
Old 10-21-08, 01:26 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

I just got my car back, they ordered the screen from japan and it should be here in a month time
Old 12-21-08, 02:22 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

i dropped the car at the dealership this morning and i got it back, they replaced the whole navigation unit free of charge They said I was the third car that faced that issue
Old 12-21-08, 02:25 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

مروق المنجا
Old 12-21-08, 04:31 PM
holYcOO
Pole Position

lol wow that took a long time... great to hear they fixed it.
Old 12-21-08, 06:26 PM
xclusivx
Rookie

i dropped the car at the dealership this morning and i got it back, they replaced the whole navigation unit free of charge They said I was the third car that faced that issue
Glad to hear it finally got fixed.

Does anyone happen to know what kind/brand the stock nav screen is or where I can get one cheaper than at the dealer? Mine doesnt turn on anymore and the dealer wants $2,000 to replace it. My car is just out of its warranty period - 54k miles on the odometer.

Quick Reply: Touch screen doesn’t work