IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front GFX Lip to cover up bumper scrape

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 09:02 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ sorry cali girl, that's what I meant, from the bottom of the bumper not the lip. I just measured how far up the gfx lip will go up from the bumper and it's 2..25 inches up from the bottom of the bumper. Also the gfx lip does not start to slant downwards until it passes the seam on the bumper or where the scrape you have ends. You will clear the scrape by a half inch, 100% for sure.
Old 09-09-08, 09:32 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Front GFX Lip to cover up bumper scrape-09-08-015_1a.jpg  
Old 09-09-08, 09:49 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

you have .75 inch clearance on top and .50 inch on the side.
Old 09-09-08, 10:13 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fast eddy, can you confirm regarding the edge of the bumper body line being the edge of the gfx lip?

if i remember correctly, with the gfx lip installed, you will not see the body line because it is covered by the lip itself.

Cali_girl.... it's your call!

maybe you should save your money and touch up paint the spot...

or... maybe you should remove the clear bra from your bumper and have the whole thing repainted.

or... as per Dr. Phil.. get the scrape buffed and painted for hundreds of dollars less. (not sure how this can be done)

either way.. your choice... touch up paint will definately save you some $$ for shopping!

Last edited by istundra; 09-09-08 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 06:38 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Thanks guys for your honest opinion.

A special thanks to istundra and fasteddy91 for your thorough analysis.

Istundra, those are some choices that I need to seriously consider. Coming here , I knew somehow I had to fork out some large sum to make my car look perfect again, and by your narrowing down the choices will simplify my task. Decision, decision, decision......I will definitely weight the pros and cons of these choices. And btw, thanks for suggesting the GFX front lip in the first place. This wouldn't have crossed my mind hadn't you suggested it.
Old 09-10-08, 09:56 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by istundra
fast eddy, can you confirm regarding the edge of the bumper body line being the edge of the gfx lip?

if i remember correctly, with the gfx lip installed, you will not see the body line because it is covered by the lip itself.

Cali_girl.... it's your call!

maybe you should save your money and touch up paint the spot...

or... maybe you should remove the clear bra from your bumper and have the whole thing repainted.

or... as per Dr. Phil.. get the scrape buffed and painted for hundreds of dollars less. (not sure how this can be done)

either way.. your choice... touch up paint will definately save you some $$ for shopping!

The GFX lip is exactly 2.25 inches tall from the bottom edge of the bumper to where the gfx lip ends at the top.....The gfx lip does slant down about a 1/4 inch where you see the seam in the bumper and where Cali Girls scrape ends which is 1 1/2 inches tall. Cali girl will still have about 1/2 inch extra coverage. If it was me, I would get the gfx lip, unless of course Cali Girl does not care for the look of the GFX lip, then I would repair or buy a different lip.
Old 09-10-08, 10:10 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=istundra;3824634]fast eddy, can you confirm regarding the edge of the bumper body line being the edge of the gfx lip?

At first I didn't understand your question, but I do now. You are correct that you will not be able to see the bottom of the bumper, but you can feel it. the lip is around 4.5-5 inches tall but only 2.25 inches tall from the edge of the bumper.
Old 09-10-08, 10:35 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

istundra, the picture you provided with the ms paint on the 1st page is accurate.
Old 09-10-08, 12:50 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Good luck finding the front lip. I talked to Carson Lexus and they said that the entire body kit/parts for the 06-08 IS's are being discontinued.

They are selling the entire GFX kit for $299 on clearance! Bad news is, they only have a few colors left. Both Whites are all gone. He said they have Matador red and Smokey Granite Mica.
Old 09-10-08, 01:01 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, I must have been asleep... Sewell was sellign the GFX kit for $199 on their one day sale in august. Crazy!

Sad that I missed out. I need to check the Vendormarket place sub-forum more often. Today, sewell is having a sale on rear spoilers for $150. Pretty good price.

The good news is... their crazy deals is probably why Sewell and Carson are sold out of Crystal white. Maybe a local dealer will have the part in stock. It will probably be more expensive, but still cheaper than repainting your bumper.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 09-10-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 01:14 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Wow, I must have been asleep... Sewell was sellign the GFX kit for $199 on their one day sale in august. Crazy!

Sad that I missed out. I need to check the Vendormarket place sub-forum more often. Today, sewell is having a sale on rear spoilers for $150. Pretty good price.

The good news is... their crazy deals is probably why Sewell and Carson are sold out of Crystal white. Maybe a local dealer will have the part in stock. It will probably be more expensive, but still cheaper than repainting your bumper.
Because of the 09 redesign the 06-08 GFX kit is discontinued. You will only be able to get the GFX Front lip unpainted.
Old 09-10-08, 02:11 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cali_Girl, can you take a picture showing the body line and the damage area on the bumper?
Old 09-10-08, 08:48 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Good luck finding the front lip. I talked to Carson Lexus and they said that the entire body kit/parts for the 06-08 IS's are being discontinued.

They are selling the entire GFX kit for $299 on clearance! Bad news is, they only have a few colors left. Both Whites are all gone. He said they have Matador red and Smokey Granite Mica.

Originally Posted by VikH
Because of the 09 redesign the 06-08 GFX kit is discontinued. You will only be able to get the GFX Front lip unpainted.

Somehow, I knew this would be too good to be true....i.e., it would fix my problem by installing a front lip.
Old 09-10-08, 08:49 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by istundra
Cali_Girl, can you take a picture showing the body line and the damage area on the bumper?

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails Front GFX Lip to cover up bumper scrape-09-08-015_1b.jpg  
Old 09-10-08, 08:59 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

More picture ....
Attached Thumbnails Front GFX Lip to cover up bumper scrape-09-08-015_1c.jpg  

Quick Reply: Front GFX Lip to cover up bumper scrape